“Interesting”
Review of The American Kitchen - CLOSED

The American Kitchen
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: The American Kitchen is owned and operatedby people passionate about fresh food,sourced locally and ethically,cooked technically and executed wellto deliver a delicious simple meal.We hope you enjoy every meal you spendhere with us at The American Kitchen,and we are always looking for customer feedback.The American Kitchen sources our ingredientsfrom many wonderful vendors, including the following:Jake’s Country Meats: Pork products and Great Lakes fishOtto’s Chicken Farm: Michigan honeyMichigan Fine Herbs: Fresh organic herbsFlagel’s Sugar House: Michigan Grade A Maple SyrupStarwest Botanicals: Ethically grown dried herbs and spicesInfusco coffee: Single-bean coffees roasted in Sawyer, MITwo Leaves Tea: Ethically grown whole-leaf tea King Arthur Flour: American grown and milled flours
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had lunch there with a friend, and while the food was delicious in its freshness, it took a long time to arrive. It seemed that every strawberry was being cut in a fanciful design, and this kind of over-perfection wasn't necessary. Did it make for a nice place? Yes. Did it make the service poor? Yes. My friend asked for tea, and this seemed to throw the wait staff off because there were too many choices. Finally she just said, "I would like a cup of plain tea," which seemed to frustrate them. I haven't been back and probably will not. Simple things seemed to overwhelm them.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Great eggs, potatoes, toast. Biscuits and gravy ...
Also nice variety of hot tea .. Friendly fast service

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We ate breakfast here this morning. Made from scratch food! The biscuits and gravy were excellent as was my daughters baked oatmeal with cinnamon cream. Really good food. While our service was pretty decent other diners weren't having such a great experience. One table walked out without getting their food and others verbalized their displeasure with the service. It's not that difficult to have systems in place to match the food with great service. I hope they figure it out soon-cause I'd eat the food any time. Wish it was in my home town.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

The oatmeal I or was too sweet so I couldn't finish it. The pancakes my daughter ordered would've been a better choice -- light, fluffy and tasty.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Locally sourced food and always freshly prepared. Better to eat there on off peak hours. Peak hours seem to stress the wait staff and the kitchen. I'm sure this is just a growing pain as we have had some excellent meals there. The restaurant has been open less than a year.