“Bring your friends!”
Review of Chocolate Cafe

Chocolate Cafe
Ranked #3 of 10 Dessert in Saint Joseph
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is the best 'hole in the wall' cafe to bring your out-of-town guests to for dessert and a stroll through picturesque St. Joe. Just a few steps from lots of yummy lunch and dinner spots, parks, and Silver Beach, along with the Children's Museum, train station, and the pier. My husband and I love to go for dates and walking. And the chocolate is wonderful. The coffee and hot cocoa are spot-on, as well.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The food here, sandwiches and desserts, are great. Desserts are pricy while sandwiches are a good value. Service is a bit slow, especially during the high tourist season. Not as good as the original in South Bend, IN, but still good. Love their chocolate, especially without sugar.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I've been here twice in the past month, just got a cafe mocha both times (my favorite coffee drink!) I loved the fancy little glass they served it in, the whipped cream, cherry, and best of all--the fudge-dipped spoon!!!! And the coffee itself was amazing!!!! It's a little pricey there, but overall it's just a quaint, clean little shop with lots of yummy-looking cheesecakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. I'll definitely go back! Love the location and decor! And music on weekend evenings!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I just went to the South Bend Chocolate Cafe with my friend a couple days ago for a late lunch. We had a great time and had a great sandwich with yummy coffee. The roast beet & cheese sandwich was made for us with our choice of bread. I chose sour dough while my friend picked wheat. It came with chips, pickle spear and a potato salad. We loved it! It was prepared quickly and choice of seating looking onto State street was very nice. Wonderful lunch in a great area.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I only recently moved to the area and had been told by several people that I really must go to the Chocolate Cafe since I am such a big chocolate lover. I took out-of-town guests on a Saturday night during the Ice Festival. It was busy, but the wait wasn't as bad as I expected from reading some other reviews. The food and drinks, however, were a bit disappointing. We split two pieces of cake between three of us, and I was glad we hadn't bought any more (especially at $6 a slice!) I couldn't finish my portion - it was just too sickly sweet...and I seldom think anything is too sweet. The hot chocolate was the big disappointment though. I'm a bit of a hot chocolate connoisseur, having tried it around the world, including in a small village in Costa Rica where cacao is cultivated, and I can honestly say that the hot chocolate at this location wasn't any better than what I got once from a vending machine. For a "Chocolate Cafe" I would have expected it to have more chocolatey flavor. It was instead rather blah and barely warm. We also didn't stay too long because the music was too loud, which made it difficult to carry on a conversation. We kept hoping the musician would take a break, but no such luck. I wouldn't say I'd never return, but it definitely wouldn't be on the top of my list of places to go.

1  Thank darcforest