“Great lunch & service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Great lunch & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I just went to the South Bend Chocolate Cafe with my friend a couple days ago for a late lunch. We had a great time and had a great sandwich with yummy coffee. The roast beet & cheese sandwich was made for us with our choice of bread. I chose sour dough while my friend picked wheat. It came with chips, pickle spear and a potato salad. We loved it! It was prepared quickly and choice of seating looking onto State street was very nice. Wonderful lunch in a great area.

• Visited February 2013

Berrien Springs, Michigan
“A bit disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I only recently moved to the area and had been told by several people that I really must go to the Chocolate Cafe since I am such a big chocolate lover. I took out-of-town guests on a Saturday night during the Ice Festival. It was busy, but the wait wasn't as bad as I expected from reading some other reviews. The food and drinks, however, were a bit disappointing. We split two pieces of cake between three of us, and I was glad we hadn't bought any more (especially at $6 a slice!) I couldn't finish my portion - it was just too sickly sweet...and I seldom think anything is too sweet. The hot chocolate was the big disappointment though. I'm a bit of a hot chocolate connoisseur, having tried it around the world, including in a small village in Costa Rica where cacao is cultivated, and I can honestly say that the hot chocolate at this location wasn't any better than what I got once from a vending machine. For a "Chocolate Cafe" I would have expected it to have more chocolatey flavor. It was instead rather blah and barely warm. We also didn't stay too long because the music was too loud, which made it difficult to carry on a conversation. We kept hoping the musician would take a break, but no such luck. I wouldn't say I'd never return, but it definitely wouldn't be on the top of my list of places to go.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank darcforest
Douglas, Michigan
“Nummy Stuff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great place to blow the diet. Frequently busy, but has decadent candies, ice cream and desserts. Drop in if you are in town.

Visited August 2012
Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
“Desserts ARE overpriced. Sandwiches and coffee are justified. Service based on earlier reviews has greatly improved based on my ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

This is a branch or franchise of the South Bend Chocolate company. I had went to the location in South Bend years ago while visiting the College Football HOF. Went to this location on a Friday night and there was a one man band singing 70's tunes. Love the setup of this place with large windows to see the street. Service was very good and the women behind the counter were attentive to me and others that came in. I ordered a piece of brown cow cheesecake for $6 which is definitely a little much and a $2 medium coffee which was great. Wife got Raspberry explosion which was very good but also overpriced. I realize this is a touristy place so if you live in the area visiting for the sandwiches and coffee seems logical. I went back the next morning for the coffee.

Bridgman
“I Have No Will Power Here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The fudge is to die for, and the array of goodies is unbelievable. Little tables are available to sit at and watch the foot traffic go by in the delightful town of St. Joseph. (Don't let your dentist know you've been here!)

Visited October 2012