“Very pleasant stay”

Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The room was much larger than expected, very clean, quiet, and comfortable. We had one dinner in the Mexican restaurant next door (not connected with the hotel but very convenient) and found the service to be excellent, unlike the experience of another reviewer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is in a very good location for our visits to St. Joseph. We have stayed here quite a few times since it was built. For our most recent stay, we had a mixed experience. On the positive side, we had a lovely, large suite with a kitchenette. However, we really do wish that Holiday Inn would provide some real glasses and cups in their better quality rooms; the cheap plastic cups that are available are absolutely terrible.

Perhaps the most notable aspect of our recent stay was the feeling that the hotel facilities, in general, and the public areas, in particular, have deteriorated. The lobby and the breakfast area were not very clean; the rest rooms near the lobby were disgusting. We were there on a weekend in late summer and the hotel was packed, particularly with many, many small children. We tried eating breakfast both mornings in the breakfast area near the lobby, which was so crowded, noisy, cluttered and unpleasant that we went to another location for breakfast.

The service we received was satisfactory. However, we got the distinct impression that the entire operation was simply overwhelmed.

Room Tip: Suites on higher floors are not significantly more expensive and are spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
stjmi, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

We thank you for taking time to provide us with your comments as will assist us with improving our guest’s experience in the future. We are pleased you enjoyed the upgrade to a suite during your complimentary stay provided by our rewards program. We understand the plastic cups may not be as desirable as glassware. Due the fact our hotel is a Holiday Inn Express, we do not have the facilities to provide the guest rooms with glassware as the full service Holiday Inn’s. A full service Holiday Inn offers a full service restaurant which serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner at an additional fee. A Holiday Inn Express offers breakfast only free of charge. Therefore, the full service Holiday Inn’s dining and kitchen facilities are much more extensive. We also acknowledge during high demand periods the breakfast room does become congested. Due to this, we employ additional staff and optimize the use of our meeting/banquet room space to alleviate the congestion. We apologize you feel our public areas have deteriorated as we have remodeled the entire public areas and guest rooms this past winter. Again, we sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph in August to meet up with my girlfriend for the weekend. She was coming from Chicago and I traveled from Detroit. The hotel was nice, the room was large, bed was very comfortable, and the woman who worked the service counter overnight was absolutely wonderful!
BUT upon check-out I had left two of my favorite dresses hanging in the closet, one of which was my wedding rehearsal dress! When I called the lost and found when I realized that I had forgotten them they dismissed my inquiry. Without even stepping away from the phone to investigate, the man on the phone just said, "we don't have any dresses". When I asked if they kept a log of things left behind he said, "yah, but I don't see any dresses". So where did they go??? Were they stolen? Was there ever a log of them being found? (Did I mention that these were two of my favorite dresses?!!) I am so disappointed!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Whitney S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Whitney S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. I am sorry you received unacceptable service from one of our staff. Your comments are important to us and we take these seriously. I would like to follow up with you and have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information regarding your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I am a regular at the Holiday Inn Express, St Joseph, Michigan. I am in town weekly for work and have traveled regularly throughout my career. I have never received the service that is afforded to me at the HI-St Joe. I am always greeted with a smile and a friendly chat. No matter what I need, they are there to assist. I would say that I am treated like family but they treat me BETTER than family. I am treated like a queen. The rooms are always clean as are the general areas. Breakfast is always attentively managed with a smile and a friendly "good morning". I use to be a regular downtown on the bluff (high end hotel with low end service and facilties). I won't stay any where else. I couldn't be happier and will continue to stay at the HI-St Joe while working in the area! Thank you ALL at HI-St Joe!!

Room Tip: All are very nice, from the modest to the suite. All are clean and I have never had a problem with...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We attended a wedding in beautiful St. Joseph, MI and had a wonderful time falling in love with the city. Since we have a large family with 3 kids, we opted to stay at this hotel in a kid suite with bunkbeds. It was a little pricier than most Holiday Inns, but we assumed it was because it was on the beach (based on the photos provided by the website.) The rooms were very large, comfortable and decently clean, the kids loved the bunkbeds, and the staff was very friendly, especially the house-keepers. We were pretty disappointed upon check in to learn that we had to drive 10 minutes to get to the beach (the hotel was across the street from Lake Michigan where there was no access, but the actual beach with the playset pictured on the website was a 10 minute drive.) It would have been fine if we weren't expecting the beach to be right there, but felt a little mislead. The Mexican restaurant next door is pretty good and there is a grocery store about a mile away.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Research-R
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Exceptional service. We stayed in the double queen with kids bunk beds suite which was simply HUGE! My only complaint was a "fishy" odor when you first walk in. Kind of weird, but it seemed to go away (or you quickly got used to it) after a few minutes. There was a view of the "courtyard" and the parking lot. Too bad you couldn't see the lake from our room. Also, plan on driving (a short distance) if you want to go to the lake. There is also a good grocery store about 1/2 a mile away if you don't want to go out every night.

Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night so the only staff contact we had was with the person at the front desk who was polite but not really friendly. The room was clean and seemed recently updated (although there were four spots on the wall above the beds that were patched and never painted over which I thought was kind of strange!). The bathroom was clean. Sheets and towels were clean. The refrigerator and microwave were a nice addition to the room. The pool room was nice but the pool had so much chlorine it made our eyes burn just to be in there for an hour. The breakfast was great with many choices of hot and cold foods. It seemed a little overpriced but I guess it is typical for a beach area hotel during the busy season. I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Staybridge Suites - Benton Harbor-St. Joseph River
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph? Share your experiences!