“Awesome food let down by mediocre service”
Review of Cassava's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cassava's
Cuisines: Cuban
Description: They are right in downtown St. Joseph and overlook Lake Michigan. The are doesn't have that many good restaurants, most touristy stuff and this restaurant specializes in Latin American cuisine. Just ate there this weekend and both the food and service were excellent! People should know about this place!
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I just love their tilapia, but their wait staff seems annoyed to have to do their jobs. Lighten up and be friendly...you guys like tips, don't you?

Reviewed December 30, 2011

The service was excruciatingly slow. The food was just OK, but had no flavor or spice. Not what I experienced when actually in South America! The ambiance was dinette-American with no Latin influences or designs. Not even any faux-Mayan/ Aztec/ Incan art.

The music was Puerto Rican and Dominican with no real South American styles. The waitress and maitre D' knew nothing about the specials or what was in the food.

Foe what we received, it was over-priced, though filling. Would not go back again.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

The service was perfect. I was concerned after reading several reviews stating service slow, so when I the waiter took our order I told him we needed to be somewhere by "X" time. He staged the delivery perfectly for appetizer and meals, we weren't rushed and we made our appointment just fine. The atmosphere is intimate but great for people watching. The food was good quality and nicely presented ~ the plantain chips & salsa were awesome as was the cilantro hummus. Also had the Cassava Ceviche which was just okay to me, it was the first time I've had ceviche and it's not something I would get again anywhere. Tacos were on special and they were good as well. We'll be back & I'll tell everyone I know to check Cassava's out.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We wanted something different and this certainly fit the bill. We were starved and arrived when they opened at 4:00 on a Saturday night. We ended up being the only guests for the time that we were there, which suited us just fine. The food was AWESOME! Both my husband and I throughly enjoyed our dinners. The fried plaintain "chips"and salsa for the appetizer was perfect and very fresh. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

This place is an excellent mix of Latin American offerrings that will suite the tastes of all. The incorporation of the diverse offerring of drinks and wines local, domestic and South American. I spend my summers in St. Joseph and I have not had one meal that was less than excellent for 2011.