“Eclectic menu with a range of offerrings from Latin America influences”
Review of Cassava's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cassava's
Cuisines: Cuban
Description: They are right in downtown St. Joseph and overlook Lake Michigan. The are doesn't have that many good restaurants, most touristy stuff and this restaurant specializes in Latin American cuisine. Just ate there this weekend and both the food and service were excellent! People should know about this place!
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This place is an excellent mix of Latin American offerrings that will suite the tastes of all. The incorporation of the diverse offerring of drinks and wines local, domestic and South American. I spend my summers in St. Joseph and I have not had one meal that was less than excellent for 2011.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

The Host was extremely friendly when we arrived – and gave us a little background on the restaurant and the Chef. The server was at our table almost immediately with menus. She came back shortly with water and asked for our drink orders and if we had any questions about the menu. We did ask here several questions on how the various dishes were prepared and to our delight she explained them very well and indicated to us that she had personally tried everything – a real plus in our book!

We ordered wine, “Argentina” which was very good … we were also brought fried plantains chips along with tortilla chips with salsa. The salsa was the best we’ve had in the area. The plantain chips were an enjoyable substitute although a little too salty for me.
For the main course my wife had lime cilantro chicken with fresh Pico de Gallo and a side of lime rice and flavor packed black beans. I tried the Lamb Chops with caramelized onions and mashed potatoes. Both meals were prepared perfectly and very delicious.
Would we return … a Big Yes …

3  Thank dwyer_consultant
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I took my family (3 teenage boys) to Cassava's while on short vacation. This place is hard to find but once you do get there it is well worth it. They have a nice view on the second floor overlooking the eclectic downtown section of St. Jo with the brick streets and shops. They bring out crispy plantain chips and mango salsa to start you off, and from that first bite you know this is going to be something special. Some of the main course food was just okay (New York strip, fried plantains), but most of the food we had and shared around the table was truly excellent. My wife and I both ordered the House Special Paella (apparently every Thursday it is $8) and it was fantastic. I love Paella and this ranks with some of the best I've ever had. The portions were so large we shared it around the table and it was appreciated by all in the family. I Definitely recommend this place. Make sure to ask for the corner table if its available.

Reviewed June 25, 2011

Excellent food! Flavorful. Prepared perfectly! Friendly knowledgeable staff. Would definitely go there again.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

As other people have mentioned, the fried chips and plantains with the house salsa are delicious. The cocktails we had (caipirinhas and mojitos) were good too. For dinner, I had the latin-style house paella and my dining companion had the cuban pulled pork with cilantro rice. My dining companion reported that the pulled pork was delicious, with the rice being a good accompaniment. My paella was OK as a seasoned rice dish with meat, but not really what I would think of as paella. The rice was long-grain and had kind of an instant-rice texture. It also didn't look like they used much, if any, saffron to color or flavor the dish. However, all the meat in the dish had a good flavor and texture, and the broth everything was cooked in was pretty good. The portions were quite generous, so we skipped dessert.

The service was somewhat hit-and-miss. When we arrived, we were greeted by a lady at the hostess station who proceeded to wave us in with no explanation while a server subsequently came by to seat us as we were about to seat ourselves. We had two different servers that evening. The one who originally sat us down was prompt and friendly- the one who took over halfway through our meal was not quite as friendly or as fast, but still polite. I would describe the atmosphere as, clean, plain and generic, but the window seats have a good view of downtown. Not a must-visit, but a decent dinner overall. Would definitely come back for the mojitos and plantain chips.