“Nothing special here”

Cuisines: Mexican
COLOMA
“Nothing special here”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Not really impressed with this one. the food was okay, the staff is friendly, but I have had much better Mexican at other places.

• Visited February 2013

Union Pier, Michigan
“bland”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The blandest, dreariest Mexican food I've ever eaten. Nothing any of us ordered was any good, drinks were watery, place was noisy

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Sara S
Martinsville IN
“Disgusting”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife and I recently ate at the El Cozumel restaurant in Saint Joseph. We are Mexican food aficionados, so when a local person recommended El Cozumel, we decided to try it. What a terrible mistake! We should have been alerted to potential problems when we entered the restaurant at about 7:30 pm and saw only a few persons seated there. It appeared to us as though El Cozumel was being operated by only two persons; one at the cash register and one who waited on us. Even though there were only two other tables being served, the service was very slow. One or both of them would periodically disappear, presumably going back to the kitchen to "prepare" food.

We both ordered drinks and a typical mix of Mexican favorites. The drinks were OK but not great. However, the food was among the worst Mexican food we have had in a long time. Clearly, the owners must believe that everyone in Michigan prefers totally bland, insipid food taken from the freezer and slightly warmed in a microwave oven. Even though we ordered "special platters" with a selection of items, everything was coated in the same yucky sauce and tasted the same.

El Cozumel is located near the Holiday Inn Express and has a nice view of Lake Michigan. If seated outdoors in warm weather and with lots of drinks, one might actually be able to eat some of the food.

• Visited November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Only reason to go is the view”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Wow....waited a long time to visit this restaurant and should have listened to others who said food was just NOT good. Way over priced for what you get, quality was poor at best and service left a lot to be desired.

If you do go........for the view........check your bill before you pay....we were overcharged!

• Visited November 2012
Berrien Springs, Michigan
“Decent food”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was my first visit and I'd probably consider going again if I don't find something else I like better in the area. The food was okay - not spectacular, but not bad either. The service was initially pretty good, but no one came back while we ate to refill our drinks and then when someone did finally stop and ask and I asked to get more water it took quite a while for that to happen. They have an outside eating area, that I think would be quite nice when the weather is a bit warmer. The inside seating area was nice. So...not overly excited about this one, but I wouldn't tell anyone to stay away either.

• Visited September 2012