“Convenient location”
Review of Silver Beach Hotel

Silver Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Friendly hotel staff, breakfast attendant needed a little help keeping food stocked. The room was small but comfortable. Parking in hotel lot when it gets late is tough because they have a lounge which non-hotel residents attend. Hotel located downtown, many things in walking distance including beach. After reading previous reviews was skeptical, but stay was pleasant. Had issues with my charges, but the GM was on duty and resolved them.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChicagoMsqtk1
There are newer reviews for Silver Beach Hotel

Reviewed May 18, 2009

We were attending a wedding in St. Joseph and stayed here for one night. The room was clean, bright and comfortable. I had read the previous reviews and was a little worried. However they have made major upgrades here and it was an enjoyable stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Only negatives- They add a $1.50 daily charge for the room safe which they will remove if you do not use the safe., but you have to tell them . Their breakfast buffet has a good selection but they need more attention from the staff to make sure the entrees are kept stocked.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jelemans
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I was excited to stay at the Silver Beach Hotel. I'm originally from St. Joseph, and many of my friends from home said that the hotel was completely renovated, and looking great. I had contact with the manager, James, early on. I wasn't going to be arriving to the hotel until 3 am, and he gave me a discount for the first night so that I wouldn't have to pay as much for half a night. James had me thinking that my stay would be fantastic.. as he was fantastic!
My boyfriend and I arrived to the hotel around 4 am, after a full day of flying and driving. James had promised me a lakeview room. The woman at the counter said there weren't any lakeview rooms available, and that there was nothing she could do about it. I showed her my email from James which clearly stated that I would have a lakeview. After about 20 minutes, she somehow all of a sudden found a room with a view. We were on the 7th floor which was fine with me. When the elevator door opened to our floor, we walked out onto VERY dirty and old school green carpet. I couldn't believe how dirty it was. We entered our room, and at first glance it seemed to be satisfactory. As we prepared for bed, we realized that our bed didn't even have a comforter. No comforter in the winter in Michigan makes for a verrrry long night. The bed consisted of a sheet, then a light thermal tan blanket, then another plain sheet. That was it!
It was nice that they added a small balcony area to each room, but the balcony was dirty and not appealing.
The next morning, I needed to get online to check my work email. In order to log onto the wi-fi, you needed to get a password and login name from the front desk. After calling the front desk for over 20 minutes with no answer, I decided to go downstairs, still in my pajamas, to get the information. The front desk clerk was apparently too busy with her boyfriend to answer the phone..
Later that afternoon, we got in the elevator to leave. The elevator went down one floor to pick up another customer, then down another floor. At the second stop, two of the hotels house keeping crew got into the elevator with us.. I think thats VERY unprofessional. It became even more unprofessional when one woman leaned up against the corner of the elevator, and started cussing about how bad her teeth hurt. The other housekeeping man jumped right on into the conversation, so that we would know how miserable he was as well.
By the 4th night of our stay, we were still using the same 2 towels that we had when we arrived. Our room was never even serviced!
If you're one of those people that care about location rather then professionalism, service, and overall care of a hotel, then this place is for you. Unfortunately for me, I like to sleep with a comforter on my bed, I demand good service, and professionalism is a must. Pay the extra $30 a night and stay at the Boulevard Inn downtown St. Joseph.. The location is better, and it's professional! That's for sure where I will stay next time.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank kel0322
Reviewed September 29, 2008

Old, musty, tacky......etc. I am not sure were to start with how terrible this hotel is. The thing that makes it even worse is the front desk people were soooooo nice. Please do not that fool you into to booking a room. Go somewhere else!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: September 2008
7  Thank JohnNik
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Reserved room and requested a lake view room over two months ago. When we checked in we had to "convince" the representative that we were getting what we asked for. Upon entry to our room I explored the previous reviewed complaints. Shower head was EYE LEVEL- I'm a 5'6" female. Patched holes in through the wall paper throughout the room. Old old room, furniture, decor, t.v., bed, carpet, sink & shower. Pulled back the bedding-yellow stains all over-no joking. Complained to hotel management and they were VERY courteous and apologetic. They offered an upgraded room. Same bedding stains in the upgraded room-no lie. Cleaning staff seemed as perplexed as to the source of the stains and said many/all the sheets seem to have them and they've repeatedly told management. They remedied the problem by providing brand new sheets-straight out of the package...again very accommodating.

At this point we settled because we had a wedding to get to within the hour. The upgraded room had a semi-updated bathroom with a fancy paint job, lighting fixture, beveled door mirror, OLD as heck shower head (plastic sunbeam brand that had two speeds-harsh and ouch with no water pressure), and ceramic tile. Tub itself is still old (rust stained, cracks in caulk and grout) and the sink and tub both backed up with water.

The "view" is an absolute joke. I had to look for the river in order to find it. You basically have a great view of the parking lot, so it's a good bonus if you want to watch your car closely. The "complimentary" breakfast is a bagel, mini muffin, or stale cereal stored in tupperware containers. Great chandalier and furniture upgrades in the lobby-but as said earlier grossly misrepresents the rest of the building. Sports bar is very cool. All the t.v.s get really bad reception. The towels are bought in bulk and it is very apparent (sand paper). The don't give you very many towels and remind you to use the ones you have very wisely because they are "going green".....(or cheap.)

If you're just looking for a place to lie your head for a few hours this place works. If you're looking for anything new, modern, or exceptionally clean-move on.

Thornton's breakfast rocks-they're around the corner from the hotel. Definitely check them out. Town and people seem very nice-this is strictly a reflection of the hotel. Again, very friendly and nice staff. Can't review the pool, didn't have time to visit it.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank cc2763att
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I will agree with others who said that the website made this hotel look MUCH nicer than it is. The outside is horrible and gives you a bad feeling going in. Staff is very nice but doens't make up for the fact that you have to wait for 10 minues for an elevator and it is over priced. We booked on their website and got their "lowest" rate of 179.00 a night. A total rip off. I heard someone else saying their rate was 119.00 per night and we were able to have our bill adjusted. The bathroom is terribly outdated and was not so clean. Towels are like postage stamps and were so rough. When our room was cleaned, we did not get enough towels to replace the few we had to begin with. Our light in the bathroom went out and it took them over an hour to figure out what the problem was. I will say that the beds are very comfortable and that was the only positive thing I found. I will never stay here again and would not recommend this hotel to ANYONE.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wrigley0115
Reviewed August 7, 2008

My family (wife, kids-10, 8, 7) planned to stay here for 2 nights after reading the recent reviews and seeing the hotel's website. We had never been to St. Joseph and thought we would check out the town for a few days.
The exterior of the hotel screams "Old Holiday Inn, Old Clarion, Old Best Western!" or some other outdated mid-priced hotel.
The check in was fine, front desk people were nice and no problems checking in early. Lobby was okay, it looked like the owners were trying to make the place look nice but it just seemed dated and stale rather than old and charming. We reserved a suit and again it reminded me of an outdated, mid-priced Holiday Inn from 20 years ago. Not terrible, but a fresh coat of paint and nice bed linens don't cover up dated furniture, small tv, old cabinets and a stale smell in the room. Again, nothing horrible, just nothing special.
When we found out the indoor pool was out of order, we decided to look elsewhere. The indoor pool for the kids was one of the main reasons we chose this hotel.
I will say that the desk clerk was very pleasant when I told them that we were not staying and he did not charge us for the night's stay since we checked in only 3 hours earlier. We agreed to charge my credit card a $50.00 "cleaning fee" since we did use some towels in the room.
Overall, not a bad hotel (I have been in much worse) but a little disappointing. I think the website makes it look much nicer than it actually is.
We drove to New Buffalo, found a room at the Grand Harbor Hotel for the same price. If you want to check out this area of Michigan, I would suggest New Buffalo over St. Joes.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Koebs136
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
Days Inn & Suites Benton Harbor MI

Been to Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!