“Very nice”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
St. Louis
“Very nice”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were in room 707 that has been redone and it was beautiful. We were in another room 723 on the way home and it was ok, but needed an updating pronto. Please request an updated room when going to this hotel. The inside is beautiful when you walk in and the breakfast is fine. Take fruit if you want it because we were told they didn't send us any and there was none both times we stayed. The view is wonderful out the sliding glass door in your room. Request a room on the water side if you want a view. The staff at the front desk is awesome. They could not make your stay any nicer anywhere. The staff are always sweeping and cleaning and shining something. St. Joseph is awesome. Love it. Be sure to get pizza at the train station on the way down to the beach. Sunset is 9p.m. so don't miss it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lutheran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 20, 2014

After we arrived, we were shown to our room, as they opened the door, we were greeted by two fans that were huge, there was a heavy smell of chemicals and the floor was soaking wet. Apparently the room had flooded and they failed to put it all together and find us a new room. We had already paid extra for a lake view room with a hot tub, and I was disappointed that we would not have the room we travelled all that way for. Then they tell us they have a new room for us… We open the door and yes guess what, it was the room directly below the flooded one and it was wet and smelling of chemicals too. My 9yr old was so sad she started to cry. We don't have a ton of money and this trip was a huge deal to her. They tell us they can lay plastic mats on the floor so we can walk around the room. I have a one year old, who can not walk around without getting her pi's soaked. It smelled strongly of chemicals, which bothered me a lot. A very sad and disappointing first night. Strong chemicals are not what I want my children exposed to either. We move the next day to a room that has no hot tub, but it is fine, quite spacious, it had a kitchen which was important for us, as I had formula and needed to feed the kids in the room. But we could not leave ANYTHING out at all or it would be covered with ants, and we just kind of gave up on having food in the room. I even found an ant in my babies formula. Needless to say, we were really disappointed. The pool is fine, old but fine. The breakfast is actually very good and the staff at breakfast polite and helpful. The plastic cutlery and styrofoam plates kind of made a good breakfast feel very cheap. I paid for a lake view spa suite, but only spent one night in a soaked smelly one. I called and asked for a refund on some of the charges as the room we stayed in was cheaper, and they said they would call me back, they never did. I think this hotel has heaps of potential. I have stayed at many hotels and the bones on this hotel are good. It just needs updating. Heads up this is far inferior to an Embassy suites or something similar, if you think that is what you are in for. I am not sure what star it has, but it should be a 2 star at best. If you really only care about the location, this place is great, it's location was awesome. If they had called me back and offered some sort of refund it would have gone far to appease us.

Room Tip: Always book above the fourth floor, and your lake view is minimal. You are not on the lake, it'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank OstFamily
Monticello, Indiana
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Silver Beach Hotel was once a very nice hotel, but now shows it age. The staff was very friendly and helpful - a big plus.

The rooms and public spaces are really showing their age. The room we stayed in was large and the bed was nice, but you could tell the age of the place by the lack of outlets to plug in phones, iPads, etc.

The free breakfast was just OK. Scrambled eggs, sausage, and waffles. Nothing special. There was a very attentive staff member that was present in the breakfast area. She did a great job!

The real downfall of this property is the price. $240 a night for a room with a king bed. This place is probably worth $75 to $115 tops.

3 Thank Chuck K
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2014

My wife and I have stayed here a dozen or so times. We have stayed at some of the nicest hotels in the U.S. and this is not one. So don't expect that when you get here. It is clean, the staff is friendly and polite and its in an amazing location. We come here to boat on the weekends and its a roof over our heads.

St Joe is a beach town, so if you come here expecting people to move at the speed they do at Starbucks in Chicago, they wont, so you probably don't need to either. Its a basic hotel with decent amenities, we enjoy it and will keep coming.

Mexico, Indiana
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband and I checked in on June 7th, we got there early, couldn't check in, so went to eat. Was able to check in a little after 3p.m. Went up to nap, had no towels, I was told to go ask at front desk, so I did, came back to room, locked every lock on the door, and undressed, the maid came to the door and unlocked every lock, even the latch we had closed, and came in, my husband got up and flagged her at the door, that we were napping, and she preceded over, on in the room, by the bed and continued to apologize, instead of stopping at the door, after coming thru every lock, and turning back! She continued to stand there an apologize, saying she was told to bring us towels, but didn't know anyone was in the room yet? Finally left, came right back and came on in, yet again, and brought the towels in, staying in the bathroom for several minutes! We didn't appreciate the fact that she just came right through the locks, and didn't turn back! Other than that incident, the stay was great!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alisa S
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 12, 2014

As soon as we pulled up, we weren't sure where the safest location for our car to be was. Went to check in, to our lake view room, the view was a tiny little corner right above the run down credit union building. Looked around the lobby, nice, got in the elevators, nice, went to the 7th floor, there was an unattended tool cart with tons of tools, cords going across the floor connected to a fan, blowing down the air vents. I have a two year old that is ridiculous that we had to step over, not only with our luggage, but my son too. Get to the room not bad, at least the bed was clean, clearly, I'm not counting the nail polish splashes on the wall, the broken toilet seat that barely held on, or the nasty hairs (from someone prior to me) in the tub and sink. Went downstairs to the bar to have a drink, it took 15 minutes for the bartender to come in from smoking a cigarette outside, the other guys at the bar said they could get it for me if it was a beer. After, she finally came, got my drink not even made correctly, when asked for another drink of a different kind, she was too busy, cursing about her IPhone music not working with the wires. Went back to my room, to go to sleep. Next day, went to the pool, tried to get to the hot tub, no jets only soaked in hot water, apparently they were broken too. Wanted to buy some arm floats for my son, he GM let me into the room, with a deep sigh, as if I was a bourdon to her, because her staff didn't know how to open the door, and that was after I was completely ignored by the front desk manager for 7 minutes, until the new front desk clerk asked him, "are you going to assist her?" Needless to say, I will not stay here again. My best experience was the clean bed sheets, the children's play room, and he distance to the beach. I'd rather stay further away.

4 Thank Bethany K
Michigan
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Yeah, it's a little worn. No, it's not fancy. But at the same time, there's nothing wrong with it. The location is good. The staff is friendly enough. The amenities are fine.

I was there last weekend. It was the only place that had a room. I was a little worried about some of the reviews. But it was fine. It had about everything I needed. Internet. Indoor pool. Clean rooms. Comfy bed. There was no loud noise. There weren't bums hanging around. It was perfectly fine.

What it isn't is a glamorous hotel. It's a little old The pool is a little worn and looks like it might have been the original pool from who knows when. But it wasn't dirty or tore up.

The room was kind of small. The bathroom was puny. But it had a refrigerator, internet, a balcony, and a soft bed. That's about all I require for a room I'm only going to sleep in.

The staff was polite. The breakfast was hot. The beach was a block away. I had no problems with it.

The only thing I didn't like was that they didn't have any complimentary toothpaste, as I had forgotten mine. They wanted you to buy it from the gift shop. But that is a minor thing. Overall, I'd probably stay there again.

Fancy? No. Modern? No. Functional and conveniently located? Yes. It's perfectly fine if you are staying in St. Joe. I didn't feel like I was being ripped off. For me, that's an endorsement.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Econo Lodge in Saint Joseph
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
Springhill Suites Benton Harbor St. Joseph

Been to Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!