“Check your bags for movement”
Review of Silver Beach Hotel

Silver Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Horrible service, a room where one out of 7 light bulbs works but according to them "you can see.. Right". Horrible lake/no lake view. Mattress like it was my grandmdparents, grandparents mattress.

I would rather stay much further away than stay here. Horrible.

Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank Jakesdad0412
There are newer reviews for Silver Beach Hotel

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I work on the pipelines and stay in hotels 11 months out of the year. The Silver Beach Hotel is the best I've stayed in to date. The staff here is wonderful. The personnel here are so polite and the service is excellent. Breakfast in the morning is excellent. The cleaning staff are wonderful and do their job in most professional manner.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Amyjreed36
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here from the 8th August for a few days. It is a nice clean hotel with very friendly staff. It is a bit more than we would pay normally but as we were at a wedding nearby we accepted that.
The Breakfast in the morning was very poor. A choice of 3 hot items. The waffle maker was sticking and could not make them properly. We had to use plastic plates which made braekfast look cheap. The restaurant was not big enough to cope with all the guests and people were eating breakfast out in the hotel lobby. I thought that unacceptable and would suggest 3 stars for this stay

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 999eddie
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We appreciated the excellent location but the facility is in sore need of updating. It appears to have been years since the bathrooms have been updated. The staff was courteous and helpful but need to pay attention to cleanliness. Dust on carpet corners and fingerprints on the doors are two small examples. The lobby was dismal and displayed a Harley Davidson, why? Need an old TV for $25? No takers to date. Is this a hotel or a garage sale? Breakfast was like a Super 8 offering. Weekend rates are double.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Barbara and Dav... D
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I booked the Silver Beach Hotel based on information and descriptions on their website. The hotel was for my daughter and her new husband for a week-end getaway. They really wanted a hotel with a view of the lake. The website described the King Suite rooms as having a view of the lake from both the bedroom and living room. IT was quite an elaborate description of how wonderful it was. I even emailed back to the hotel after making the reservation asking them to let me know if there was no view so I could make other arrangements but heard nothing back from them. When the kids arrived at the hotel, my daughter sent me pictures of the view and it was of a parking lot, no lakeview at all. I called the hotel and after getting no satisfaction from the front desk clerk I asked to speak to the manager. I was on hold for over 10 minutes so I called back from our home phone. The front desk clerk said the manager was busy to which I replied, "you've got to be kidding." I hung up our home phone expecting a manager to finally come on my cell phone where I had been waiting for over 10 minutes but much to my surprise, the hotel hung up. I paid good money, over $350 for two nights, expecting a beautiful room with beautiful views of the lake only to find out the information describing the rooms and other amenities was totally false.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Sandy J
SBHotelSaintJoseph, Public Relations Manager at Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

The Silver Beach Hotel stands by our website description firmly. Our hotel and the lakeview rooms are very popular and are booked months in advance as Lake Michigan is this area’s main attraction. Unfortunately last minute bookings cannot always be accommodated for lake views. We apologize for our management being busy, however, we did try to call you back. We hope you will come stay with us again.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Avoid this place!! It is completely outdated and the staff doesn't care about the guests. I chose this hotel based on a travel booklet picked up in the area. The photos in the book make it look like a great place. But it is far from that! The carpet was stained, the deadbolt on our door did not work. There was no place to plug in the coffee pot, we could not even use the shower. We were on the 7th floor, and the only ice machine is on the first floor. I chose this hotel because they told me they had a large pool, hot tub and sauna. The pool is so outdated it does not comply with laws in place for the handicapped. The only access to the pool is a ladder that one has to climb down the wall to enter or exit. I was unable to use the pool because it is not handicap accessible. I immediately called the desk to complain about this, and they told me that if I left I would still have to pay the full cost of the room. I wanted to check out within 30 minutes of arrival, but I was forced to pay for the room.

People from the bar were spilling out into the parking lot and making noise until after 2 am, and could be heard from our room. The breakfast room was completely overfilled leaving no place for guests to sit. It was unbearably hot in the breakfast room and hallway. The breakfast was pretty bad and very limited. Everything ran out and we couldn't get food to eat. What little we tried was lousy.

Management did not care to give us any break for the bad service. They overcharged my credit card for a higher amount than I was quoted for the room. I emailed them several times after returning home requesting some compensation for the terrible stay. They never answered my emails. I requested they correct the overcharges on my credit card, and they never replied to me.

I will contest the charges on my credit card, and will likely file a complaint against them with the Dept. of Justice for discrimination against handicapped persons. They are not compliant with ADA requirements, and seem to not care at all about being fair or serving guests.

Avoid this place!! Don't waste your money or jeopardize your safety! Shame on them for treating "guests" so poorly!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank MIFamily U

The Silver Beach Hotel has numerous handicap rooms and can arrange for the appropriate accoutrements for our pool and hot tub area if required, however, if we do not know they are needed, than we cannot serve you. On your next visit please let us know of any special requirements you may need upon booking so we can make your stay more accessible. We value all of our guest and go above and beyond to serve them. Also, as a side note, our hotel breakfast area is very busy in the summer since we have been voted one of USA Today’s top summer getaways. On your next visit, please follow the signs to our supplemental dining in our banquet room where you will find ample seating and service.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I had a very enjoyable 2-night stay at the Silver Beach Hotel. I was worried about staying there after reading the recent negative reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised by our nice,quiet king suite, which we got for a good price through an Internet special. We found the rooms to be clean and comfortable with a great 5th floor balcony view of the town, river, and lake. Everything in the suite was in working order, and the bed was comfortable. The staff couldn't be nicer. The lobby was very pretty. Perhaps the decor of the building was a little dated, but it is an older hotel, so it was what we expected. However, the hotel was well-kept and CLEAN. The convenience of being located right in town cannot be beaten. We walked around the charming town and ate dinner there two different nights in two different but good restaurants. The complimentary breakfast at Silver Beach Hotel was adequate. It included sausage, scrambled eggs, and do-it-yourself waffles. The coffee was decent. The indoor pool area was large, sunny, and the water was warm and clean. Traveling to St. Joseph after Labor Day week was a good time to go. There were no crowds and there was plenty of parking. The only thing we missed at the hotel was a newspaper. A complimentary "USA Today" would have been the finishing touch. If we were to visit St. Joe again, we would definitely stay at the Silver Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: Our 5th floor west-facing suite had a balcony,a good view, and was quiet, at least during the "...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
Days Inn & Suites Benton Harbor MI

Been to Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!