“Dissapointed!”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Hartford City, Indiana
“Dissapointed!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am not sure how this hotel was ranked the #3 in St. Joseph by other travelers. The rooms are small and outdated and the bathroom didn't even have an exhaust fan for the shower so the bathroom was constantly fogged up. Then there were the ant's, but we didn't even bother to call the front desk as it was obvious upon check in that there was going to be no help from the staff. We were lucky enough to have the General Manager, according to the name tag, check us in and you would of thought she was very disappointed that she had guests by her attitude. The overall atmosphere of this hotel basically followed the General Manager's lead, in that is was obvious there was a lack of concern about upkeep, cleanliness and comfort of the guests. Location is good, but it by no means makes up for the condition and quality of this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank storm4679

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Okemos
Reviewed August 28, 2013

After reading some of the reviews, my husband and I almost cancelled our reservations and went to the chain Holiday Inn Express. We had stayed the year previous at a very nice hotel right across from the beach, but it was alot more expensive, there was no pool and our grandchildren like to swim last thing in the evening-plus the breakfast is not child friendly. So we thought we'd try somewhere else. We decided to just give it a try, and we not only enjoyed our stay, but it is on our calendar to return again next year. It is definitely not a 5star hotel, and because of the tiny bathroom, it may not be an actual 4 star, but I feel it has been given a bad rap. We had a king spa suite, and the bed was comfortable. An adult would not want to sleep on the pull out, but our granddaughters 7 & 11 were fine. They are very nice and the hotel is really pretty. Unless you must have a large bathroom, this is definitely a great place-inexpensive and right in the middle of everything. Very walkable, and the parking lot is fine.

Room Tip: We had a king spa suite to give us room for 4, and it was very affordable. The same price as you'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Linda K
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We paid more than we pay for a 4-star hotel in Chicago. It did include, free wifi which we appreciated, and breakfast which we did not. The breakfast was plain scrambled eggs and sausage, cold cereal, and juice. I was hoping for fresh fruit and yogurt. The room was shabby. Mattress was too soft. I woke up with a terrible backache. The pillows were lumpy and the sheets were tattered and discolored. Bedspread was outdated as was the entire room. We will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Paula L
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband surprised me with a night at this hotel for our anniversary. He paid a lot of money assuming it would be a really nice hotel on the beach. Instead it was a very run down out dates hotel that we spent way to much on and you can not even see the beach. If I paid 60 dollars a night I would feel that would be fair. I have stayed at hotels that I have paid 60 dollars a night and had a better experience. The pool area smelled funny so we did not dare go into it. The pictures online are very different but what you actually get. We met someone at dinner that felt the exact same way and they found ants in their bed. Run the other way!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Saraiwoody
Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The only good thing about this place is the location. But if we would have known how disgusting it really was, we would have sacrificed location for a better hotel farther away. The 'lake view' is actually about 4 blocks away and is obstructed by a brick building bigger than the entire hotel. We paid $325 for a room smaller than my bedroom at home. No hot water to bathe our kids catapulted had to go get something to plug the drain so we could take baths, breakfast is terrible, the kids playroom they have is disgusting. We walked in and turned right back around and left that room. The hot tub was broken. Let's see...what else....our tv didn't work, there's nowhere to plug the coffee pot in in the room so you have to put it in the bathroom with the wire across the sink. The only ice machine we could find was on the main floor in the cafeteria. I could go on and on....we complained, and supposedly got a 50 dollar discount but here it is almost a week later and it has went through our bank acct as full price. No refund yet and when I called, the lady had no clue how to fix it and said to call back and talk to a manager. Bottom line is, do not stay here. It's way overpriced and the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank courtney w
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We could tell from the outside that the place was rundown but we were not prepared for the room. It was small and 30. And when I say dirty I'm not exaggerating I mean stains on the carpet, spilled coffee on the wallpaper, dingy towels… Every shower was an experiment in how well you can tolerate hot and cold temperatures, as the water went from one extreme to the other. Other than a few hours in a Dollar Inn, I've never been more disappointed with a hotel. This place costs WAAAAY too much for what they provide.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Jariya2
Batavia, Illinois
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The only thing positive about this hotel is the location....if you absolutely have to be in the downtown area. We were here only because of a wedding at a nearby location and it was easy to walk to. It was about $130 for a Thursday and $220 for a Friday night, both of which are completely unreasonable for what you get. If it wasn't for the location, I would expect to pay about $60 for a hotel of this quality (We are not overly critical of hotels and typically stay in budget friendly mainstream chains). Room had stained carpet, ceiling had about a six foot patch from old water damage that looked horrible, beds only have sheets and no comforter, bathroom was clean but not in good condition with the shower head at about 5' tall, TV was an old tube tv, elevators took forever, etc. Staff was not friendly and very abrupt. Cleaning staff seemed to be always in the way and left bags of dirty towels laying in the hallway for extended periods of time. Key cards didn't work correctly and you had to put it in and out several times every time you wanted to get in. Breakfast is subpar to what you would find in a typical chain hotel. I spent a lot of time going back and forth before I booked based on the reviews here....listen to your gut...don't stay here....

Room Tip: Tip: Stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Econo Lodge in Saint Joseph
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
Springhill Suites Benton Harbor St. Joseph

Been to Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!