“It's OK”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Wisconsin
“It's OK”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nothing fancy here. The room was clean but the spread on the bed was very thin. It was a very cold night and we had a difficult time keeping warm. The lobby is nice, the staff friendly. The free breakfast was not very appetizing. Again - just OK all around.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank g24272

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed January 12, 2013

A friend and I met in St. Joe last night because it's half way for both of us, from East Lansing and Chicago. We wanted to stay downtown so we could walk to dinner and the shops. First of all, the lobby smelled like smoke because the bar connected to the hotel allows smoking, which I thought was illegal in Michigan.
We checked in late afternoon, went shopping, came back after dinner and were sitting on our beds when I noticed that there was no comforter or bedspread on the bed, There was a top sheet, a blanket, and another sheet over the blanket, and that was it. We checked the drawers- no blankets or comforters. I called the front desk and inquired about the situations, to which the clerk said, "There's a blanket on the bed between two sheets!" as if that was enough in January. I told him that I wanted more bedding. he asked if we wanted an extra blanket, I said yes, and they never appeared. I've stayed in a lot of hotels- even the Red Roof in has bedspreads on their beds!! I was incredulous that we'd paid $85.00 off season for a room with no bedspreads and crappy service.
The breakfast was passable. The ladies who serviced the breakfast room were really sweet and friendly, but the rest of it was disappointing. They also don't offer movies in the room, just HBO.
I would certainly think that a hotel in such a prime location would step up their game. I've stayed at their "rival" hotel down the street, the Boulevard, and the amenities and service is worlds more professional that this place. Never again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Zenovia51
Danville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have stayed at Silver Beach every year for the past 8 or 9 years. We fish with Big Bird Charters and have never been disappointed. It sounds like all of the bad reviews are from the same group, and I'm sorry that they had a bad experience,but to me it has been a very good time.

Room Tip: Take a salmon fishing trip with Big Bird Charters
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I booked this hotel for a weekend stay in St. Joseph, MI. My first time there and I was looking forward to the beach and shops. The hotel was incredible disappointing! The hotel is old and needs updating terribly. I was actually uncomfortable security wise in this hotel and would have preferred to stay somewhere else. Luckily, we spent very little time in the room but I would never recommend or return to this hotel. There were people coming and going through a somewhat dark and dingy entrance from the parking lot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Cheryl T
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Decided to get off I 94 at the Benton Harbor exit last evening and this was the first acceptable accommodation that we encountered heading south. We drove past it, then decided to return for closer inspection. Went through a small business district with some charming shops and restaurants and decided to give the hotel a chance. Although we could tell that it was an older property, the lobby area had been updated and so we decided to spend the night; booked room #305 for $95 which we thought was a bit steep for the off season.

Our room with two queen beds was clean and contained a work station, lounge chair, a small walk-out balcony, and a small room safe. The bathroom which was tiled all in white was also small, but adequate and yes, that shower head in the bathtub area should have been installed at least a foot higher! However my main complaint was with the heating unit which was off when we arrived and proved to be a bit noisy when trying to fall asleep later in the evening.

We walked two blocks for dinner at the Pump House Grille and picked up fudge at Kilwins before returning to our room. With free wifi and a flat screened tv, we were set for the night. The next morning, we went down for breakfast and yes, it did include eggs, sausage, bagels waffles, cereal, coffee, 4 juices, milk and fruit. The breakfast room, however, could stand a bit of updating as well as its presentation...

Room Tip: It is my understanding that there is a 'pet floor' which may or may not influence your decis...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Littletoot2
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We have stayed at Silver Beach Hotel on several occasions and have always been satisfied. Love the hospitality of all your employees. Thumbs up! Enjoyed the pool, the lake was beautiful but cold to swim in. Very lovely town with great people and so friendly and helpful. I hope the elevator is fix, but the steps were fine. Thanks Silver Beach Hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Des Plaines, Illinois
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I think we stayed in a different hotel than the one the negative reviews are about! Almost didn't stay here because of them but decided to take a chance and am very glad we did. The location is great; within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants and the lakefront. Staff was very accommodating. We were on the fifth floor and the room was clean and fine. Not spectacular but fine. King size bed. All for $70, including the hot breakfast. We were here for a wedding and some friends paid double to stay elsewhere! Glad we didn't.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
Days Inn & Suites Benton Harbor MI

Been to Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!