“Very disappointing considering cost”
Review of Silver Beach Hotel

Silver Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We paid over $200 per night. Bathroom was dirty. Towels were so thin they were like paper towers. The hot tub had green ooze. You cannot view the beach from the hotel. The breakfast room was a nightmark each morning. Insufficient parking - we ended up having to park on the street. Highly recommend selecting somewhere else.

2  Thank erinsiegrist

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Just got back today and wanted to share ...reviews are true. I read them before I booked but decided to take the chance since I was only staying one night. The stay was $109 plus tax, this hotel is just taking advantage of the area and travelers. Do not stay here, I'm not a picky person and I honestly was worried I would be bring bed bugs back! I sucked it up with my husband and four year old. the hotel from the outside should be clear indicator of what is to come. Sorry guys, skip this one.

6  Thank Sonia A
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This hotel is on the bluff. Not the Beach. The website is also a bluff. They need to update the pictures to old and worn. The hot tub was dirty and broke. Not closed? The kids play room should be shut down for public safety reasons. Our room had a foul smell to it. I kindly asked them to do an ozonator treatment and they sprayed an orange sent. I shared it with the rest of the floor by opening the door. Other people walking by even asked questions. Cant open the balcony on the second floor because the staff and bar people like to smoke out back. And yes it goes right into the room. Oh I almost forgot to mention just like the hotel manager did at the time of check in. The second floor is dedicated to the pets. Just like a kennel. That may explain the smell. Dogs scratching at the door and barking. kind of funny. I expressed some of my concerns with the manager when checking out. Her most intelligent answer was SORRY? Really? You may want to send her to a hotel management school. We could not even go on the balcony due to the MASSIVE PITT BULL on the patio. It Scared the ---- out of me when it Snarled at my children. The Hotel manager said she had no complaints of dogs barking. HELLO--- if you are a pet owner I seriously doubt you would call to complain! Get a clue. I don’t mind if people have pets. You should disclose that the second floor is for pets. I choose no pets and would have never stayed on that floor if you would have done your Job. The night manager said he notifies everyone. What about you? Now everyone is aware… Cheers.

6  Thank MGMyers
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed here for a long weekend with some wonderful friends and we were very disappointed!! The customer service here is non existent and even those who try are set up to fail. The facilities are in great need of updating and even though we were told feather pillows would be provided immediately we later learned that they did not have feather pillows. The towels were old, raggy and some very stained (those that should have been retired to the rag bin). The sink was clogged and when we asked for it to be fixed they took out the stopper and it still held water. Especially for the price we paid this was a great disappointment and having stayed in 1, 2 and 3 star hotels around the world this one gets a 1-.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Mystical M
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The town and beach were beautiful! The sunsets at the park/ beach were great,not so much on the balcony of our "lakeview room", the view was obstructed by a HUGE brick building(and I payed extra for the view)!! The beds in the room were ok but the room and bathroom needed lots of updating, they looked dingy.and felt that way too!!Nothing like paying for that feeling (dont sit on the toilet and try not to touch anything while you shower)!The shower... well it was a gamble to know if it would stay warm or if there was any pressure to rinse well enough! After a day in the lake and on the beach the last thing anyone would want is a pisspoor shower!
The view we saw when we walked into the room; looked out the patio door at the "view" and the sun going down, the sun was shining in through a very dirty glass window of the patio door(like it was wiped with a yucky rag!) and because I was on vacation i did not pack my windex and papertowels so it stayed that way and the Tv was the same when we tried to watch it later. The patio door would not lock!! Not safe!! My man could have fixed it if he had his tools, we weren't thinking we needed tools and cleaning supplys while on vacation! What were we thinking?!!Overall our trip was good,But for the $500 we spent for 3 nites I did expect Better!!

Room Tip: do not pay extra for the "view" overlooking lake, there is a huge building blocking most o...
1  Thank stacy M
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding so I was somewhat required to stay here. I wish I hadn't. First night I killed a few bugs in the bedroom area then some in the bathroom. The shower still had hair in the drain that floated to the top of the water when you took a shower.
Our room overlooked the main street parking lot and the rate with taxes was nearly $300 for one night. I later found out that the people staying next to me paid $239. I am waiting to see if they will reimbursement for the difference.

The hotel has seven floors and two elevators so you had to wait for an extended time due to the volume of people and the fact that the cleaning staff also used these elevators. Another issue was parking. If you get back to the hotel after 9pm you might not get a parking spot. There is a popular bar on property that eats up a lot of spaces. There are no special considerations given to staying guests when it comes to parking. You are on your own when it is full.

One good note is that fact that everyone who works there seems to be very pleasant and helpful. It's too bad their product isn't as good as the folks that work there.

Room Tip: I don't know if they have a GOOD room here.
2  Thank barry p
Reviewed August 3, 2012

After reading the reviews on here I was terrified to check in! We checked in on a Sunday and out on Tuesday. The staff was courteous. Our room was very clean and the beds were very comfy. The bathrooms were a bit small and out dated but that is really not an issue. We did not see stained carpet areas, everywhere seemed very kept up. The only complaint would be that the pool water was very cold and the hot tub had maybe too much sanitizer. Overall it was a great experience. There is a huge price difference depending on the days you want to stay. If you can stay during the week it is more than comparable to near by hotels. It was also very cool to walk out of the hotel and either go down to the river or the shopping area in just a few short steps! I would stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4 mi away
Comfort Suites Benton Harbor
Comfort Suites Benton Harbor
#6 of 11 in Benton Harbor

Been to Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!