“could not care less”

Ranked #2 of 9 Dessert in Saint Joseph
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed June 23, 2013

For someone who is used to good service, the demeanor of all the employers of Tosi (and there were about 10 or so) was shocking. They did greet us when we came in, did not thank us for our orders, didn't ask how the food was, didn't take away the dishes. To say that they were hostile would not be accurate, they simply could not care less, treating us like annoying flies, who distract them from discussing their exiting personal lives, local gossip, etc. That said, the food was actually fairly good, and if the service was at least just adequate, we would have been reasonably happy.

1  Thank tagor007
There are newer reviews for Caffe Tosi

Reviewed May 19, 2013

In Finnish, Tosi means 'True'. Reading the other reviews, I would say that describing it as worn is accurate. It is like the pair of shoes you should throw away because they are scuffed and worn but they are so comfortable you just can't part with them...yet. Yes, the tables wobble, walls could use a scrubbing and a fresh coat of paint and brighter light bulbs--but they didn't ask me to merchandise it or white-wash it to look like every other joint out there. So close your eyes and breathe. Oh, the intoxicating scent of fresh bread and good food. A non-coffee drinker, I enjoy the Chai Tea Latte and if you don't want something hot, try the Caramel Italian Cream Soda (both around $4)...Amazing. We also recommend going with the specials (that's why they are named that right?...around $12). The Florentine Ravioli in Herbed Crème Sauce was so good that the entire family dipped bread to sop it up. The Chicken and Artichoke pizza with Goat's Cheese was so good my biggest disappointment is that they will not likely have it the next time we are there (although owners if you read this review, please add it to the regular menu!). I am a pizza snob and never would have ordered it but my kid did and after I tasted it, I was so glad we did (and sorry we didn't order 2!). P.S. Rebe79, sanitation could improve, but I just called them over and asked them to wipe down the table. I've eaten in far more sterile environments where I have been ill because the sanitation of those preparing the food left much to be desired (no issues here). Whenever we hit St. Joe, we make a point of visiting Caffe Tosi because they are a true neighborhood spot. Sounds like you should hit a Starbucks.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stopped in here for lunch because we thought it was known for great sandwiches and soup. Upon entering the first thing I noticed was how dark and dreary it was inside. We ordered from an unfriendly lady who did not greet us nor thank us for our business. The cafe tables are wobbly with chipped paint. We sat near a window to watch outside but you could not see out of the window because it was so dirty inside and outside. It was a bay window and the shelf had inches of dust on it. I could write my name in the dust it was so thick. The food was not good at all. My sandwich was 4" of bread and 2-3 thinly sliced pieces of meat. It was dry with no flavor. We saw one mother with 2 young children and suddenly her baby girl got her head stuck in the wire chair. It was a panic moment for the mom but she was able to quickly help her child get her head out. The poor thing was crying and while employees behind the counter looked over at the situation, nobody came over to see what happened. There are much better and CLEANER places to eat in St. Joe. Try one of them and avoid Caffe Tosi.

1  Thank Rebe79
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Brought to you by the same folks at Bit of Swiss/Tosi's in Stevensville. We stop here regularly on our trips to St Joe for a nice Latte brewed with Illy coffee and a fresh baked French pastry. We'll pick up a good loaf of bread on the way out, too.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Good place for really good coffee and pastry or sandwich or both. Can be very noisy but the food is always wonderful.