“Outdated Fleamarket Feel”
Review of South Cliff Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
South Cliff Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
chicago, il
“Outdated Fleamarket Feel”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We stayed in the Morning Room on the first floor right by the entrance. The place is really dated but if you want to feel like your at your grandma's house then it's fine. We're used to more modern places and the floral couches in the living room along with the floral drapes in the bedrooms are too much. I felt like I was at a flea market with all the nicknacks everywhere. Think clutter city. The one positive thing was the deck and garden. What a lovely garden it was with a view of the lake. Enjoy a nice glass of wine out there. I think if the place made the decorating more simple instead of like a flea market, the place would be a huge improvement and be quite nice. Feel bad for writing this, but that's just my opinion. The price was great for the area as was the location as it was a quick drive to the downtown area.

Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We had an excellent weekend at the South Cliff Inn. We stayed in the harbour room. The bed was really comfortable and their was a whirlpool tub alcoved by the window overlooking the lake. Big fluffy towels awaited. Private bath in the room also.

Main floor has a few common areas. A living room stocked with books, local info, etc and a sunroom type area where breakfast was held each day.

Breakfast was amazing.. We didn't have lunch either day. Jody (was managing the inn this weekend for Bill) made reservations at Tosci's for us. Crabcakes there were amazing.

The inn offers 5pm wine, cheese & crackers daily. This was a great way to meet other guests. We made friends with a few couples - drinking our wine out on the overlook of Lake MI. Perfect spot to watch the sun go down.

St Joe has nice beaches. Shaded areas, great playstructures for families, good shopping and lots of fun "animals" all over the city. They are in the process of building a carousel by the beach. Also an Amtrak train station right by the beach with a little pizza place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed November 20, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the South Cliff for a weekend and we loved every minute. Bill, the proprietor, was incredibly welcoming and the food was wonderful. We stayed in the Harbour room and had a great view of Lake Michigan and a whirlpool tub.

Wine and cheese in the afternoon was the prefect relaxation enabler and it also gave us a chance to try out some of Bill's culinary experiments!

Breakfasts were first class. We've stayed at a few B&Bs and this was some of the best food I've had anywhere in the country. One of the best parts about breakfast is taking it in the inn's Florida room where overlooking the lake. I imagine in the summer you can sit outside and enjoy the warm weather, but we went in November, so it was inside for us!

Overall the Inn was well-kept and clean. Our room was immaculate and the linens were well-above your normal hotel fare. Rather than the flimsy cheap towels and sheets, they were thick and fluffy and the bed was very comfortable. We would definitely stay there again when we're in the area!

• Liked — Great food!!!!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kshamus
Arizona
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Everything about South Cliff is a treat for a traveler, even when traveling on business as I do. The location is ideal, just a quick trip into town and convenient to everything. Lake Michigan is nearby and a real delight, could be an addiction for desert girls like me. I think I will return for a vacation! St. Joseph is more like a big city than a vacation resort, but it's still very enjoyable and has a cute downtown.
Owner Bill is lots of fun, he runs an inn that has all the attention of a small inn but all the privacy of a hotel. The food is delicious and the all important cleanliness factor rates highest grades.

• Stayed September 2007
1 Thank desertflowerpower
Cincinnati
Reviewed August 4, 2007

The innkeeper is really a great person. Learned through discussion with him that he has been running the inn for 20 years. He is very accomodating and an excellent cook. Fresh homemade baked goods, fresh fruit and well prepared breakfast. During my stay, all of the guests were participating in the same event and had to leave the inn by 5 am. Though not the norm, he set out as much "do it yourself" breakfast as he could with the coffee brewing by 4 am. One of the guests' spouses came back to the inn- as she was not participating in the event- and was presented with the full breakfast- even though it was only prepared for her. This is the kind of place, location, hospitality and owner/operator that give the B&B business a good reputation.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank OhioRoadie
Crytsal Lake, IL
Reviewed June 19, 2007

I stayed here for one night while on a business trip. I wish I had longer and I wish my husband had been with me.

I stayed in The Morning Room. It is the cheapest, as I am on a business budget. It was clean, plush, cozy (a.k.a. small) and most importantly for the business traveler...it had good, working, easy to access internet.

The views are spectacular from the cliff to the water. the path to get out to the observation deck is charming.

The breakfast was fabulous and I liked the family style serving. It allowed me to go back for seconds on the wonderful bread pudding.

I needed to get to a business meeting the next morning. The innkeeper had directions all written for me, without my ever asking him to do that. It is the kind of service I would give to my customers and I appreciated his attentiveness.

I look forward to another business trip to this area. I will dine somewhere other than the innkeeper's recommended spot called Shue's in St. Josephs. Foodies will not appreciate this place. They try, and their menu looks hopeful, but the execution has been poor the two times I have been there.

• Liked — Views and the innkeeper
  • Disliked — The toilet was a little loose and tilty, so it would make a thunk noise when you got off.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Krista R
South Bend, IN
Reviewed October 11, 2006

Spent one night here this past week. Wonderful atmosphere, well-informed staff as well. Stayed in Harbor room -- very enjoyable. Breakfast good, although certainly not lo-cal. [Egg souffle, cinnamon bake, coffee cake, blueberry bundt cake -- all freshly baked. Not for the Atkins dieter, but I'm sure the owners would be willing to oblige.]

The most remarkable part is the view from the deck closest to the cliff; a real joy.

• Liked — Great view, comfortable room, whirlpool tub in room
  • Disliked — Price
  • Tips/Secrets — Yes; you need to look for the green mailbox. The name is NOT on the house.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
Comfort Suites St.Joseph / Stevensville

Been to South Cliff Inn? Share your experiences!