“Great value for the money”

Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Saint Ignace
“Great value for the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

We came for a getaway trip for our 34th wedding anniversary. So much cheaper than staying on Mackinac Island. Probably the best view I ever had from a hotel window; saw the sunrise over Lake Huron. Well manicured back grounds, a couple of firepits stocked with fresh firewood in case you want a lakeside bonfire, friendly and knowledgeable staff who had numerous suggestions on how to save money on the ferry and other attractions, and a FREE breakfast that was surprisingly extensive. Biscuits and gravy were very, very, good. The breakfast room was kept clean and had a wonderful view as well. I liked to rustic swings overlooking the lake. I read a review where someone complained about the bugs in their room but THEY WARN YOU not to leave your door open on the lakeshore because bugs will get in!!! It's your own fault if you do that. We had the spa room and that was way cool. I expect numerous future stays here for us!

Room Tip: Facing the lake....I think all rooms do.
1 Thank Cliff M
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Happy Anniversary, Cliff! It's an honor that you came to celebrate with us. There's nothing more romantic than waking up to those beautiful lake views, right? I'm so glad to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay. The next time you make a trip to Lake Huron, we'd love to welcome you back in.

Howard Cole, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

The good: We stayed here for 3 nights, The price was good. the room was clean, the staff was friendly and the location and view were awesome.

The not so good: Some minor mechanical issues in our room. The door to the Balcony would not latch properly, we had to use the dead bolt to keep it shut, The light in the bathroom took several minutes before it would fully light.. The continental breakfast was not very good.

Overall I would stay here again. The hotel just needs some updating.

2 Thank mrando1
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
I'm sorry to hear there was a latch problem with your porch door. We have an excellent maintenance team on duty to assist with any issues that come up, so we're always more then happy to come and fix anything right away. That said, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time in St. Ignace! The next time you take a weekend getaway to the lake, we'd love to welcome you back in.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed in one of the spa rooms for our anniversary getaway. The room was very clean and inviting. But THE VIEW was the best part of the room! We were able to snuggle in bed while enjoying the beautiful sunset over the water. The lake was just a stones throw away from the back door of our room. There was a fire-pit with chairs and a swing. Unfortunately It was raining the day that we stayed so we didn't get to take full advantage. But we will be back to try again next year!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Kimsteele
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Happy Anniversary, Kim! I'm thrilled to hear that you and your husband had a relaxing, romantic weekend on the lake. What's better than waking up with that view, right? We hope to see you next year for more celebrating!

Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

The room was clean and the staff was great. An update on the linens would be wonderful but what was provided was adequate. We had a king suite with a jetted tub. It was nice and peaceful until around 1:00 a.m. I believe we had the hotel's laundry facility or something like that above us. It was noisy enough to wake both my husband and I on and off until we gave up around 6:30 and got up. None of this would deter me from staying there again. It was nice.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 142 if you are bothered by footsteps all night long. The hotel laundry facili...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
I'm very sorry that our laundry woke you up. We always want you to have a quiet and comfortable night sleep, so this is disappointing. Next time, don't hesitate to let us know. If there's a different room available, we'd be more than happy to accommodate.

That said, I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay! We hope you had a blast visiting Lake Huron. The next time you make a trip up, we'd love to welcome you back in.

Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014

We stayed here one night in August before taking the ferry over to the island. The first room we went in was FULL of bugs - someone had left the doors open and wowsa. Front desk staff kindly moved us down the hall. This place is right on the water, so keep your doors closed at dusk, or the lights will be a "welcome" sign to the bugs. The front desk staff was great- - very friendly and accommodating. The room was large with 2 queen beds, but definitely in need of a facelift and new furnishings. The refrig was perched on a wood stand that was too small for it, so every time you opened the fridge, it would tip off the stand. The bathroom is very small but functional, nice to have a sink and mirror outside of the toilet/shower. My biggest issue was with the breakfast which ended at 10. We went down and 9:45 AM and the two women that were working the breakfast room were already cleaning up. Many items were already gone and not replenished. I asked for coffee cream and was referred to powdered packages. I asked for butter and was referred to the cooler for margarine. These women were rude and the selection of items - blah. It would have been better with no breakfast provided, and just a decent cup of coffee - my opinion, if you are going to provide a breakfast to your guests, then do it right. Don't present the cheapest stuff on the planet and expect people to think it's great. It was a joke to the people that were sitting in the room while I kept asking for simple items. We always try to stay at independent hotels to support small local business people, but this was pretty much the last time. I'm looking for a nice clean comfortable bed and decent breakfast, good coffee. This wasn't the place.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank traveladdict3400
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
I'm sorry to hear that our breakfast was lacking a few of your favorites. It sounds like our team could have made you feel more welcome during your meal, which is disappointing. I'll be sure to mention these comments to them, and keep your input in mind when we go over the menu.

That said, I hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation to St. Ignace. We sure appreciate you supporting a small business like ours, and hope we haven't lost your trust forever. Another chance to welcome you back in would mean the world to us!

Plover, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Our family enjoyed 2 nights in a two room suite. Nice and big! Beds were good. Glad to have refrigerator and coffee maker. Only 1 bathroom, 2 would be nice. the sofa and recliner were a bit old but the rest of the furniture was fine. When I sat in the middle of the sofa I thought my bottom might hit the floor. I enjoyed the balcony overlooking Lake Huron. No bugs or seagulls bothering me, morning or night. The people walking around above us seemed to be stomping around constantly. I wondered if they ever sat down to relax. I think it was the people, not the hotel. I thought the breakfast was more than adequate for free. The two women staffing the area were constantly moving, restocking until the end of serving time. Didn't have enough time to enjoy all the amenities, pool, etc. as we were sightseeing--Soo Locks, lighthouses, etc. The folks at the front desk were helpful with restaurant suggestions, nearby sites, etc. We would stay here again, for sure. Great value!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank chicacabo
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
What a nice little getaway! It sounds like you made the most of this beautiful area, exploring the lighthouses and lake, which is great. Thanks for making us a part of your vacation! We'll see you next time you visit Lake Huron.

Until then,
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

My family of 4 (2 kids) recently stayed at the Bavarian Hous. It is an older hotel that could use some updating, but it was super clean, which is most important to me. We had a ground floor room that opened up onto a small deck and the back of the hotel. Our room and deck had a terrific view of the lake and access to the nice (again clean) grounds. Kids loved the pool. Breakfast was marginal and we skipped it, but adequate if all you want is a muffin or cereal in the morning. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for the ground floor rooms that have their own decks - nice to sit out there and enjoy the view...
Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
You can't beat that lake view, right? It's great to hear that you and your kids had a great time exploring the grounds and playing in the pool. Thanks for taking the time to share your kind review. The next time you stay in St. Ignace, we'd love to welcome you back!