“Friendly accomodating folks, clean spaces”

Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Vermont
“Friendly accomodating folks, clean spaces”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Wound up staying here at the last minute when our connection to Mackinac Island didn't come through because of the weather. We were pleased to be able to find rooms for our entire party and the nice folks at the front desk sold us postcards and helped us get oriented to a place none of us were really familiar with. I had a room that was a little noisy because of the wind and I asked for and was given a quieter room with no problems at all. Enjoyed having coffee available in the common space and everything was very clean and just like you'd hope to find in an overnight accommodation.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quieter. If you want dark, go for a room with a solid no-window door.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, Jessamyn. We understand it can be stressful when your vacation doesn't go according to plan, so it was our pleasure to have you in for the night. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip to Mackinac Island. We'd love to welcome you back the next time you visit from Vermont!

Take care,
Howard Cole, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

My family had an all-around great experience at the Bavarian Haus in St. Ignace, MI. When we were choosing which side of the Mighty Mac to stay at, Lower or Upper Peninsula, we decided to go "Yooper". It was a great choice. U.P hospitality is (we feel) second to none! The view of Mackinac Island, cleanliness, breakfast bar, pool area, and the hospitality were all exceptional. Here's a quick example of the hospitality...While checking in I casually mentioned my family's desire to watch the Red Wings game that night, but wasn't sure about the cable channels in St. Ignace. I was taken back when our room phone rang and the desk manager was calling with the time and channel of the game. Pretty nice. I look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: It appears all the rooms have the same amazing view of the island and straits.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DrWoo69
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
I may be biased, but Yooper is always the way to go! You can't beat the U.P. charm, eh? Jokes aside, I'm thrilled to read about your stay. It sounds like our team took excellent care of you, which is great. The next time you wander south from Marquette, we'd love to have you back in!

Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed at the Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn while in town for a hockey tournament. I was skeptical at first leaving the security of the hotel chains. I was pleasantly surprised! We were impressed by the friendliness of the staff at this family owned property. The rooms were clean and spacious. Breakfast was great. Beautiful view and perfect location. The boys enjoyed the pool. They actually still have a deep end, a rarity these days at hotels. The staff at the Bavarian Haus took care of us when a major hotel chain down the road treated us poorly. We would definitely recommend this establishment and hope to stay there again someday.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Hi, Alison! I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay during the hockey tournament. As a small business owner, I really appreciate your kind words about our inn. It sounds like the boys had a blast playing in their tournament and unwinding in the pool, which is great. The next time you're in the area, be sure to give us a call! We'd love to have you stay with us again.

All the best,
Gowen, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

We love staying at Bavarian Haus & have always had great customer service and a great room. The only time we were disappointed was when we stayed & could not use the balcony because of the gnats. We were told that they did not bite, but upon looking up information on them, they do and there were so many of them, we could not even open the sliding door. I think maybe an insect sticky trap or something would have worked? That has been my only complaint and we have stayed there numerous times and will likely continue to do so, (as long as the gnats aren't taking over our space that we pay for!).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm so glad that we could be a part of your trips to St. Ignace! As a small business, we really appreciate your continued support. I understand your concern about the gnats, and I sincerely apologize that this put a damper on your stay. Although they're common in certain seasons, you shouldn't be sharing your balcony with them again like that. You'll be enjoying those beautiful views all to yourself! We'll see you in again for your next stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

This was a great place to stay! The staff was very friendly and helpful! My room was nice, I had a great view of the lake, and the front desk gave me a wonderful local restaurant suggestion! Thank you for a wonderful stay in St. Ignace!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, Kris! You can't beat that beautiful lake view, right? It sounds like you had a great time taking in the sights and sounds of St. Ignace. The next time you're in the area, our doors will be open for you!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed here the weekend of the Pond Hockey Tournament in a double queen room, and it was a site for sore eyes coming in from the nasty winter blast. The place was packed but that was expected. Staff was friendly throughout the duration of all the Hockey parent tantrums. (Some of these people you can't tell whether they or their kids wear the pants). You really can't argue about price either when you're staying right on one of the largest lakes in the world. The heated pool, hot tub and sauna were just the cherry on top. I'll definitely be coming back next year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi, Julie! Thank you for sharing your kind words. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The hockey tournament is always a very busy weekend, but it's a pleasure to have everyone visit the area. I hope you had a blast in St. Ignace! The next time you're around Lake Huron, we'd love to have you back in.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

My family of 4 stayed here the weekend of the Youth Pond Hockey Tournament in a double queen room. Everything about this place was terrible! I made reservations weeks in advance and I was advised that it was a two night minimum the weekend of the Pond Hockey Tournament, which seems a little ridiculous...but I didn't really have another choice so I went ahead and booked a room for two nights. Upon checking in to the hotel on Friday I was informed that they had already charged my credit card for $143 when I first booked our reservations...I'll add that when I reserved the room they did not inform me they were going to charge my card immediately. On another note, this was my first time staying at this hotel so I assumed for $143/night the rooms would be immaculate, boy was I ever WRONG! When we made it to our room, I couldn't believe that I paid almost $300 for a two nights stay in a incredibly outdated room with an uncomfortable bed. The room was rather "run down", the beds were very very uncomfortable, the coffee maker had old coffee grounds in it from the previous guest, the tv was old and small, about 15 of the "cable" channels worked and the reception was awful, in addition, the rooms didn't offer a "dirty clothes" bag like most other hotels.
After all of this, the next morning I was expecting the breakfast to be somewhat acceptable, but I was WRONG again. The "continental" breakfast was a joke! The options were cold cereal, oatmeal, mini bagels, frozen waffles, biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, yogurt and bananas that were so brown I wouldn't even consider using them for banana bread. The tables were so small that you were lucky if two people could fit at one table.
Our first game on Saturday was early so when we arrived back to our room the housekeepers hadn't been to our room to restock any of our toiletries. I managed to track down a housekeeper and asked if it was possible for our room to be vaccumed, as we had tracked hay from the locker rooms at the tournament back to our room. The housekeeper, said yes it is possible, if you do it yourself and proceeded to hand me the vacuum cleaner...and then said "just kidding". I CAN take a joke but excuse me, I'm a paying customer and the "joke" was a bit harsh considering I pay you to clean my room.
We had two games Sunday and were thinking of asking if we could stay a little later than the check out time but we honestly couldn't wait to leave this hotel.
I would not recommend staying here. I've stayed at better hotels for cheaper.

The only good thing about this hotel was the pool, it was heated!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank E P
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
I apologize that your stay wasn't what you were hoping for. Our cozy inn is a great place to getaway and enjoy the sights and sounds of St. Ignace. Given that, we do have to price accordingly based off our services and our location. I'm sorry to hear that there was a miscommunication about the deposit. It's a policy that we have to ensure reservations are being fulfilled, which is especially important on the busy hockey tournament weekend.

Also, we like to treat our guests like family. I'm sorry to hear that one of our teammates offended you. I can assure you that this was not her intention. Above all, we want our guests to feel take care of. I sincerely apologize that we missed the opportunity to fix this before you left. I hope you enjoyed the tournament and spending time on Lake Huron.