A group that I was with had set aside a block of room for a hockey tournament. It just so happened that the night that we were to arrive, the Mackinac Bridge closed for several hours due to wind/visibility issues. There were several of us that waited it out on got across the bridge at 9:00PM. It was quite a shock to me to learn that my room was sold and I had to be placed in another room for the night, and informed that I would have to move the next day because someone else was to be in that room Saturday night. I even called the hotel at 7:15PM the night we were to arrive and informed them that we would be there as soon as the bridge opened, I was told by the hotel staff that they would be holding my room for me when I arrived. Obviously not the case!
Being tired, I took the room and went to bed. I went to the front desk to express my frustration with the situation they had placed me in, being I had several bags to account for and had games starting at 10AM Saturday, and had no desire to haul all my bags around all day. According to the front desk staff, upon hearing the bridge had closed temporarily, the person that blocked off the rooms called the hotel and told them that the group wasn't going to make it that evening. In hearing this the hotel decided to start selling our rooms to other "stranded" motorists. As stated before, several of us did in fact make it there. Each individual had taken care of the payments for their respective room when they were reserved, and we were all charged one nights stay a month before we were to arrive. The hotel did not call to ask if it was OK to sell reserved rooms. The hotel screwed this up big time. A cancellation/change is only to happen when you speak with the person paying the bill! Number one rule of business!
We returned to the hotel after our games were completed on Saturday, and were given our "correct" room. Directly under the breakfast room. Apparently when the breakfast room was renovated, no one thought to insulate/sound proof the ceiling of the room below it, or the floor of the breakfast room itself. There was a group using the "breakfast" room until midnight, and all I heard up till then was laughing, talking, chairs scooting across the room, and people walking around. I was finally able to fall asleep at 12:30, no thanks to the horrible beds, only to be awoken at 6:30AM by the noises in the room above.
On Sunday, I went to the front desk to ask them if we could have a late check out due to our game not being until 1:00. I was informed that noon was the latest I could stay (I could work with that). Upon telling them what room I was in, they told me that our coach had a room set aside until 2, and that my room extension was void. As many of you may know the St. Ignace area is not full of tourists this time of year especially on a Monday, so I'm not sure why one more late check out would have mattered.
All of this confirms my thoughts from the beginning: This hotel is not concerned about their customers, only how quickly they can collect your money and get you out of there.
Other room complaints/concerns:
Friday night: Safety latch on sliding glass door was broken/missing. Beds were way too springy, if you sat down too hard you could bounce right off.
Saturday night: I has to physically lift the door 1/8th inch just to be able to engage the deadbolt. Beds were just as bad as the previous room.
I would not recommend to hotel to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you’re planning a trip to Northern Michigan, come stay with us! Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn is open year-round, making us your headquarters for easy access to all local attractions in the Mackinac Straits area. With our spacious rooms, great service and wide array of amenities, you’ll surely enjoy your stay with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn And Suites Saint Ignace Lakefront
- Days Inn & Suites Saint Ignace Lakefront Hotel Saint Ignace
- Days Inn Saint Ignace
- Saint Ignace Days Inn