“Clean and awesome view but run down”

Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I have come to rely on tripadvisor but was somewhat disappointed this time. Not a great deal for the price. The desk staff was so awesome - above friendly and helpful so i actually feel bad having to leave a less than good review. The view and grounds toward the lake were just beautiful! The breakfast staff needs some guidance. While they are in the room constantly to make sure things stay full the one lady just leans on the counter drinking her coffee and staring at the guests while they eat. Then more staff come in and they yell across the room to each other then stand around drinking coffee and talking. When leaving the breakfast area the prep room doors were open and these rooms were very dirty looking. The room seemed clean though the carpets were stained. Many stains in hallway carpets and also smelled musty in the hallways.

• Stayed: October 2013
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback. While I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the view and the grounds, I'm sorry that you weren't pleased with your experience during breakfast. We want breakfast to be a meal that relaxes and jump starts your day, not a meal where you feel any kind of discomfort. As for the room, did you by any chance mention this to our front desk staff? As you know, they would have been more than happy to transfer you to a room that was more to your liking. We aim to please as long as it is within reason! We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to pass it on to the appropriate staff. Next time, hopefully, you will give us the chance to impress you and earn the extra 3 points in your book!

There are newer reviews for Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Lovely place to stay, the beds and pillows are so comfortable. Very clean, Staff very helpful and friendly in office and thru out the hotel. Lovely breakfast and the lake front view is awesome. Quiet and very well kept grounds. will stay here again, as we have in the past for years.

Room Tip: very comfortable beds and the view is awesome of Lake Huron. In the summer keep the door to the balc...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback! I'm glad to hear that not only did you find your room comfortable but that you also found our staff to be helpful and friendly. We appreciate your loyalty as well as your recommendations and can't wait to have you back soon!—Howard Cole, Owner

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We wanted to stay someplace not to pricey but nice! This hotel was perfect! The room was very comfy and the view from our room was amazing. The staff was very nice and helpful. The ferry to take to the island was just down the road. The casino shuttle picks you up and drops you off at the hotel. Very quick drive. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write us some very valuable feedback. It's the best feeling to know that that not only did you love the ambiance but that our staff was able to help create a smooth and enjoyable experience for you. That's all that we could ever hope for. We appreciate all of your recommendations and look forward to the day when we can host you again.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Spent Friday Sept 20, 2013 thru Sept 23, 2013 here with my husband, daughter, and son-in-law. While an older hotel it was comfortable and exceptionally clean. We checked in late our first night and the gentleman we dealt with at the front desk was wonderful. Not only was he nice, but he also told us about a $10 Mackinac Money Bag with coupons in it. We were able to save on the price of tickets to Mackinac Island with a buy one get one free coupon. We also got a great deal on our lunch on Sunday afternoon. The only thing that I would update is the breakfast buffet. Mostly breads, cereal, muffins, hardboiled eggs, and sausage biscuits and gravy. Maybe update the continental breakfast a little. Best part - the wonderful view of Mackinac Island and the sunrise in the morning.

Room Tip: When making reservations at this motel ask to be placed in the NEW portion of the hotel. More updat...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank atlantis4170
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write us such a candid review! I'm thrilled to hear that not only were you pleased with my front desk staff, but that they were able to help save you some money! Our money bag is a perk that we are proud and excited to offer our clients. As for the breakfast, we will definitely keep your feedback in mind when we make updates! I'm happy that you got to enjoy a beautiful Mackinac sunset and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed here based on Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. Great location with all rooms having a lake view. Very friendly front desk staff that were helpful with suggestions that were great for places to see and eat. Really liked having a balcony to sit and watch the lake. Enjoyed the pool, too.

Room Tip: This is a two story hotel and all rooms face the lake with a balcony on the 2nd floor and a patio sp...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review! I'm glad that you were able to not only enjoy the view, but that we were also able to assist you in making the most of your trip. Also, I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of our balconies and take in the gorgeous sunsets. Thanks again for the kudos, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

The room was spacious and clean, there was ample tasty food (including protein) in the "breakfast room," the staff were friendly, every room overlooks Lake Huron, and it was a very good value for the price.
There was something extra special: A couple days after our stay, I called because I was missing one knit top, and wondered if I had left it there. They checked, and reported that no one had found it. A couple weeks later, I received a phone call from Howie at the front desk; he said that they had found my clothing and mailed it to me, but that it was returned to them due to an incorrect address. I learned that they had my zip code wrong, and gave them my correct address. They shipped the clothing a SECOND time, and I received it. I was impressed for many reasons: they shipped it TWICE without asking me to reimburse them for the postage, they went out of their way to call me, and they APOLOGIZED for having the wrong zip code! This was truly outstanding customer service, way above and beyond my expectations. Wow! (Yes, I am sending them a check for more than the postage twice.)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Susan, thanks so much for taking the time to write us such a nice review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the breakfast was more than enough to start off your day. I'm also thrilled that we were able to get your knit top back to you. I know how stressful it can be to leave things behind. It was truly our pleasure to assist you in this. Thanks again for the wonderful shout out and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stopped here on our way from UP to festival in mid Michigan. Arrived late, and our young ones were itching to get in the pool. Thankfully it had an indoor pool and was open late. They put us is room #137, which was convienient to the pool and breakfast bar next morning. The only unfortunate thing was the room was located directly below the breakfast area. Beggining at 6:30am, we heard heavy footsteps and loud taking that continued for next couple hours. Was in a frustrated place, since we arrived late and could have used sleep in, epecially with little ones. On this particular day there was a tractor parade, so many farmers were staying there. Breakfast bar opened early and they seemed to be wearing heavy boots. After alerting the owner to my concerns, I was thankful and appreciative that he was able to accomodate us. Not many owners will take the extra step to ensure our concerns were addressed and taken care of. Besides that, we had a lovely stay, taking in the beautiful sunrise and hearty continental breakfast.

Room Tip: avoid room #137, due to the fact the breakfast bar is directly above it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to give us some valuable feedback! While I'm sorry that you were awaken by the breakfast room patrons so early, I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you and your family and rectify the situation. Thankfully, the rest of your stay was enjoyable! Hopefully, we will see you again soon.