“wonderful customer service!”

Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The room was spacious and clean, there was ample tasty food (including protein) in the "breakfast room," the staff were friendly, every room overlooks Lake Huron, and it was a very good value for the price.
There was something extra special: A couple days after our stay, I called because I was missing one knit top, and wondered if I had left it there. They checked, and reported that no one had found it. A couple weeks later, I received a phone call from Howie at the front desk; he said that they had found my clothing and mailed it to me, but that it was returned to them due to an incorrect address. I learned that they had my zip code wrong, and gave them my correct address. They shipped the clothing a SECOND time, and I received it. I was impressed for many reasons: they shipped it TWICE without asking me to reimburse them for the postage, they went out of their way to call me, and they APOLOGIZED for having the wrong zip code! This was truly outstanding customer service, way above and beyond my expectations. Wow! (Yes, I am sending them a check for more than the postage twice.)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Susan, thanks so much for taking the time to write us such a nice review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the breakfast was more than enough to start off your day. I'm also thrilled that we were able to get your knit top back to you. I know how stressful it can be to leave things behind. It was truly our pleasure to assist you in this. Thanks again for the wonderful shout out and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stopped here on our way from UP to festival in mid Michigan. Arrived late, and our young ones were itching to get in the pool. Thankfully it had an indoor pool and was open late. They put us is room #137, which was convienient to the pool and breakfast bar next morning. The only unfortunate thing was the room was located directly below the breakfast area. Beggining at 6:30am, we heard heavy footsteps and loud taking that continued for next couple hours. Was in a frustrated place, since we arrived late and could have used sleep in, epecially with little ones. On this particular day there was a tractor parade, so many farmers were staying there. Breakfast bar opened early and they seemed to be wearing heavy boots. After alerting the owner to my concerns, I was thankful and appreciative that he was able to accomodate us. Not many owners will take the extra step to ensure our concerns were addressed and taken care of. Besides that, we had a lovely stay, taking in the beautiful sunrise and hearty continental breakfast.

Room Tip: avoid room #137, due to the fact the breakfast bar is directly above it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to give us some valuable feedback! While I'm sorry that you were awaken by the breakfast room patrons so early, I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you and your family and rectify the situation. Thankfully, the rest of your stay was enjoyable! Hopefully, we will see you again soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel is clean with large rooms and a nice balcony. View was fantastic. Interior is showing some age but has been kept up very well. Pool is large and was clean. The hotel also has a "game" room with around 4 arcade games as well as a foose ball table. "Beach" area was clean but did have an unusual amount of frogs. The location is a bit out of the town and may be too far to walk. Overall a pretty good experience and would be willing to return.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

So happy to hear that you loved your room and that the view blew you away. Thanks for the feedback about beach — we'll see what we can do about the frogs!

Other than that, we can't wait to see you back here for another fun trip — complete with a trip to the game room and a dip in the pool.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a view...first of all! Secondly, my dad, sister and I visited St. Ignace and Mackinaw Island and were lucky enough to land at the Bavarian Haus. The staff was so friendly and very knowledgeable of the St. Ignace and Mackinaw Island attractions! Being from out of town, this was such a help since they also provided coupons and let us know where the free live music was. We loved our stay and all of their recommendations were a hit!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thanks so much for leaving us some great feedback! We really appreciate it! Glad to hear that you found our staff friendly and knowledgeable and that your stay was enjoyable. Thanks for the kind words and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here our last night in Michigan and got a great room with added entertainment from the locat birds that reside there on the grassy area and in the shoreline. The balconies are large and there are two comfy chairs/table provided. The air during Labor Day was cool and refreshing and I left the large slider open the whole time we were there. A previous reviewer mentioned how hot and stuffy it was there in the corridors. During our time there the many windows along the corridors were opened and the air circulation was fine. I didn't use the excercise room but the breakfast room was also fine. We were able to get right in and take unlimited food right up until 10 a.m. There is also a candy dish in the lobby, as well as a microwave, coffee and computer corner. There was also a door kept open in this area and the breeze was delicious. The rooms may be a bit dated but our comfort and sleep quality the one night that we had there were superior. And, everyone that I talked to at the desk, at least three different clerks, were all helpful, polite, and happy to have us there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us such a nice review! I'm happy that your stay with us was comforting and that you were able to find entertainment from the local birds. They can get feisty! I'm also glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast. Hopefully, it gave you the energy for a fun and vigorous day of sight seeing. We appreciate the recommendations and hopefully we will see you again soon!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Our daughter was married on Mackinac Island August 24 and our group reserved several rooms for the 23 and 24. Every single staff member was polite and helpful. They offered help for things we never even thought of before hand. All rooms were large, clean and face the water with the magnificent view of the island. The sunrise was unbelievable. We could not have ask for a more perfect experience. We will stay there every time we are in the area, as will several other people who were staying there for the first time. Special thanks to Howie, Alice and Jamie.

Room Tip: It is located on a hill so the parking level is actually on the second floor if you're on the wa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thanks so much for the fantastic review! It was our pleasure to be able to host you and your group for such a momentous and beautiful occasion. There's nothing more romantic than a sunrise so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I'm also glad that we were able to make your stay seamless and we appreciate your recommendations. Can't wait till you are in the area again!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have always relied on the TripAdvisor recommendations for lodging and had good results. Not this time. The view from the deck was very nice, and sitting out there in the morning with a cup of coffee watching the sun rise over the water was awesome. Most everything else was bad, even for this low price.

The most noticeable problem upon entering the hotel was that there was no air conditioning in the hallways. It was extremely uncomfortable walking to our room. The hallways are very, very long since all rooms face the water. The outdoor temperature was comfortable, around 80 degrees fahrenheit. This was just before Labor Day.

The exercise room also had no air conditioning. The window was open, the screen had been torn all the way out and was hanging down. To use the one treadmill you had to go to the front desk and ask for a key to turn it on and then return it when done. But it was so hot in there I don't know how anyone could or would exercise.

Our room had a big stain on the carpet right in front of the dresser. No idea what it might have been. Our housekeeper took the soap on the first day and didn't replace it. We had to call the front desk to get bars of soap brought to the room before we could shower. When we first got to the room there were nice, large round bars of soap, but when we got the replacements they were small, thin rectangles. There was a small refrigerator in the room, but no microwave.

The continental breakfast was okay, but the room was locked except between 7-10 am, so you could not go in there at other times to use the microwave or get coffee.

This is a huge property and I think the current owner has not invested the resources necessary to keep it in top shape.

I would not stay here again. There appear to be several other choices in St. Ignace that are right on the water and a little closer to the center of town.

Room Tip: I cannot recommend staying here.
1  Thank jnauta
Howard C, Owner at Bavarian Haus Lakefront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. While I'm glad that you were able to take in the wonderful view over a cup of coffee, I'm disappointed that the rest of your stay with us wasn't as surreal and relaxing.When it comes to the temperature, we try our best to accommodate for all guest preferences but at times this can be a challenge. However, next time don't hesitate to alert the front desk. As for the soap and the stain on the carpet, we would have gladly remedied both if they had been brought to our attention. We want you to feel comfortable! Hopefully, you will reconsider giving us a second shot. I'm confident that your next visit will be a fantastic one!