“Not Honest to Customer”

America's Best Value Inn
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Reviewed July 22, 2008

My companion made us a two-night reservation at American Best Value Inn in St. Ignace, Michigan on weekend. I was frustrated with a TV remote didn't work closed caption on TV when we arrived room at night. I had to wait until next day, it was replaced. We gave housekeeper good tips for two days. After we checked out, I left my memory foam pillow in a room. It was only one that support osteoarthritis in neck and pain-tension relief. None of any pillows worked out for my neck for many years. I must carry it with me when I traveled. I immediately called night front desk clerk when I arrived home. A clerk said they found it from my room. And next day, they will mail it to me via USPS with Collect on Delivery (COD) for shipping and delivery charge. I told her thank God for it and it was very important to me. I thanked her for taking care of it. After one week, I didn’t receive it yet. I called day front desk clerk named Cindy and asked about it. She said they never find my pillow. I told her that night clerk told me they found it and will ship it out to me. She said she will check with housekeepers and night clerk then she’ll give me a call when they’ll find it. I was so angry with them for lying to me. Why should they steal and use my precious pillow? The staff and housekeepers were not honest with customers. I will never go to American Best Value Inn. I advise you do not stay there.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sandygr

Reviewed July 22, 2007

There doesn't seem to be a listing for the hotel we're staying in right now. I'm writing a review in the room as I'm so disappointed. There were tons of places along the main road, and the ones here (on State st-- across from the Days Inn) overlook the lake. We were having a hard time choosing from the spots, and saw this place. It looked new and advertised free WiFi, indoor pool and free breakfast buffet. When we went in to ask prices, it was about $80 for 2 people. There was a sign at the front desk saying 'yes, we're about $10-$15 more than other places, but here's what you get for that...' and included the perks listed and things like mini fridge as well. After looking things up, turns out it's more than a $30 difference to other places! Stupid us...

We should have walked away when the front desk clerk wasn't friendly at all. Everywhere else we've been on this trip people at hotels have been great, she clearly didn't care whether we stayed or went.

Rooms are spacious, and there was plenty of parking. But our room's table wasn't particularly clean, and there were stains on the chairs. The pool didn't have any towels left, and we were given the room directly opposite the ice machine-- on an almost empty night-- didn't help with my sleeping. The free WiFi turned out to be the network from the Days Inn across the street-- one of many things that made me wonder if this was actually a spinoff from Days Inn where they send their old furniture and linens! More disturbingly, the mattresses had some dark stains. I assume it's just coffee, but don't really like to see visible stains...

'Breakfast buffet' turned out to be boxed cereal and mini bagels only. We would have been better off staying somewhere cleaner, friendlier and buying breakfast at the Big Boy. Seriously, don't stay here. There's so much other choice in St Ignace!

1  Thank lettezilla