“This was an unexpected pearl”

Budget Host Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Calgary, Canada
“This was an unexpected pearl”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The staff at this pet friendly lodging were extremely friendly and accomodating. The room was very clean, comfortable and their location excellent. The breakfast area was too small for the number of customers, otherwise we would give them 5 stars.

Room Tip: Our room was 105 on the ground floor with a king bed. It was close to parking and all other ammeniti...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
StIggyBudHost, Director of Sales at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our award winning property. We take a great deal of pride in our staff and are pleased that you found them friendly and accomodating. I apologize that you found our breakfast room small. Trays are available there so that guests may take their breakfast to the pool, their guest rooms or outdoors etc. I hope you will stay with us again should you find yourself in our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Pa
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We got a suite on the first floor with a seperate bedroom in the back (with a door, it's own desk, TV & nightstands) The rate was extremely reasonable and they gave us a coupon to come back. The entire plcae is SPOTLESS. The plumbing & shower worked great. The beds were comfy & the suite was very spacious. Not directly on the water but we were able to watch the Saturday night fireworks over the straits from the grass out front. Most people were able to watch from their little balconies. The staff, from my first call thru our stay and checkout, were not only friendly, but with a sense of humor like they enjoyed being there and so did we. A short ride to the bridge so a great start to the UP, close to shopping, Castle Rock, Ferries to Island, Mystery Spot. There is a smoking area in the parking lot and the inside does not smell like smoke at all. Nice indoor pool. Parking not the greatest, but not too bad, & only thing even close to a fault. There was a fridge and microwave in our room. Wi-Fi worked perfectly. We thought breakfast was great, with plenty of options. so comfortable and at home here. This was our first stay with this chain and I thought I found my dream chain, as this was exactly what I think a hotel stay should be, but I don't think they're all this nice. We LOVED IT HERE!!! I wanna go back right now! My heart's in da UP!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank april71
Wow, thank you for that awesome review. So happy that we are your "fave" and that you enjoyed not only the property, its location to attractions, and the cleanliness but also the sense of humor of our staff and glad that they made you happy to be here. Those personal touches are things we strive to give our guests. It's nice that our guests are able to view the Saurday night fireworks from our property. We have a large parking lot behind and on the sides as well as parking in the front of our property. We look forward to you returning again in the future.
Oakland County, MI
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My wife and two sons spent a night here on our way to Marquette. I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the entire property. It was one of the cleanest, best maintained places I have stayed at in a while. It is evident that the ownership/management take pride in this. Staff was also very friendly and helpful. Ask for a room on the second floor facing the water, and you'll have a nice view of the straits. The complimentary breakfast is mediocre, and I would advise staying away from the sausage patties, as they were not good at all. All in all, a very good stay, and I would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for room on second floor facing water for a nice view of the straits
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelHound1
Thank you for the review and happy that you found our property to be one of the "cleanest, most well maintained" properties in awhile. I'm sorry that our sausage patties were not to your liking, but we hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Bloomfield Hills
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed for two nights in October 2010 at the beginning of our week in the UP. Went to Kewadin Casino in St. Ignace. This hotel was a good value. The room was spacious, bed comfortable. We had a small balcony and a view of the harbor across the road. The pool was nice and clean. Towels were available.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelFan48302
Thank you for your review of our property. We enjoy hearing from our guests and that you ffeel our property is a great value. We appreciate your comments and hope that you will find yourself with us again.
Milford, Michigan
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I chose this hotel based on the reviews here and was not disappointed. We needed a pet-friendly hotel which are hard to find but this property exceeded our expectations. The room was very clean, the pool area was very well maintained and the water was the perfect temperature. Our room had a small deck looking over the water which provided excellent views of the fireworks that evening. (I was told that there were fireworks every Sat. night between Memorial day and Labor Day in St. Ignance so be aware if your pet does not do well with the noise.) Breakfast was pretty standard as far as hotel breakfasts go. They also provided comlimentary cookies and beverages in the lobby in the evenings.

If I would change anything about the room I would suggest that there be a seperate sheer curtain over our sliding glass door leading to the first-floor deck so we could have had light come in and still maintained a bit of privacy. The blackout curtain provided plenty of privacy but no light and leaving the curtain open all the way felt a bit too exposed at times.

The staff was friendly, the checkin-checkout was prompt and efficient and the value was excellent. I would not hesitate to recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with decks facing the water have a great view of the Sat. night fireworks.
5 Thank akehcmbf
We are happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations.in our accommodations. We take our guest's comments very seriously as it allows us to continue doing our job exceptionally. I will pass your comments on to our General Manager. Thank you for taking the time to post a review here on Tripadvisor.
Appleton, WI
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Just back today from a 2 night stay on July 22 and 23rd at this hotel. This is going to sound snobbish (I want to point out that I am just an avg Joe by the way) but I never would have dreamed of staying at a Budget Host now in my late 30's...the impression I have is some dive hotel on the decline and my wife thought I booked us into a run down place as well and planned to bury me somewhere in the woods of the UP if it didn't turn out well. I use TA religiously to assist in all my vacation and business travel and have to say based on the awesome reviews and pictures my mind was open to the experience and boy was I glad I tried it...thank you fellow TA's for your insight and reviews of this place.

I have stayed at my share of dive hotels in my early 20's and everything in between, all the way up to my last stay at The Ritz in Dana Pt, CA on business about 6 months ago and by far our room this weekend was the cleanest I have ever stayed at. My wife who doesn't read TA (hard to believe) whom had not read prior reviews about the cleanliness of the hotel was quick to point out she also never stayed anywhere so clean. My hat off to Cheryl whom was our housekeeper for the last 2 nights .....bravo!!!

Whether it was a cleaning staff or the front desk, they were very friendly. The front desk pointed out all the events of the evening upon check-in and offered to help make the stay more enjoyable if we had any requests.

We stayed in room 217 and had a 2 bedroom suite with a TV in each bedroom and a living room complete with microwave, fridge and sink, couch the pulled out and a small table where we ate breakfast each morning. The bathroom area was great so that you could use one of the 2 separate sink areas with their own mirrors to get ready while someone else showered. This hotel deserves it's #1 TA ranking for the area.

Our room was right next to the elevators and usually I am quick to avoid these rooms for the noise they can bring but it was really super quiet which was great and we never heard our neighbors either even though the hotel seemed to be packed to the gills with guests. Our room had a view of the back parking lot but we didn't mind. Like other reviewers stated having a room with a balcony would have been great at night to sit out on and enjoy the cool breeze from the lake so you should see if you can get that side.

Breakfast was very plentiful and hot and we usually went down around 830 each morning with the kids and everyone could find something to eat from the donuts or breads to cereal, eggs and sausage. I love the meat gravy and potatoes each day personally.

We hit the pool with the kids quick on Friday and no one was around at supper time for about 30 min. It was also nice and not over run with the smell of chlorine like you find at other hotels. On Saturday we headed over to the island and walked only about 2 blocks to the Starline Ferry pier for the boat ride over. I believe the Arnold line is right there and Sheplers as well all within walking distance so you can leave the car back at the hotel.

On our way back from the island we meet another group of women staying at the Best Western and after we described for them our room and room rates and services we got they were all wishing they had booked the Budget Host and commented that was a heck of a value...I don't disagree one bit with that sediment and would gladly come back for our next stay while in St Ignace to the Budget Host. Keep up the great service and competitive pricing.

Suggestion: The one thing I would suggest is that they bring down the temp in the room upon arrival to a comfortable 75 so you have head start in the summer to cooling the room. We arrived and it was set at 82 and I know this is picky but it took a few hrs to cool. Everyone is different but I think 75 can be heated or cooled from there quicker for folks.

2 Thank Brazoo
Better than the Ritz...Wow...nice of you to say. Guest satisfaction is our top priority so we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and even recommended us to others on your ferry ride to Mackinac Island. We will continue with our great service and competitive pricing. Thank you so much for that. We hope that you will stay with us in the future.
Tecumseh, Michigan
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I find it hard to read hotel reviews without knowing what the writer expects....that said...I expect a CLEAN well kept room and ground, friendly staff and a quiet place to lay my head. That is exactly what I found. GREAT Hotel. I love it when they have a sheet on both sides of the blanket and they do this! The beds were very comfortable. The pillows a little flat, but it was minor. The woman at the front desk was not only friendly, but more than helpful and happily answered all of my questions about the area.

Room Tip: The balconies are an added bonus.
3 Thank smctlc
Thank you for your great review. We are always looking for ways to improve the comfort and experience of our guests and utilizing sheets on both sides of the blanket is just one of those. We are happy that you enjoyed this amenity as well and appreciate that we were everything you would expect. We, at Budget Host Inn & Suites thank you once again and look forward to serving you in the future.