“Clean property with friendly staff”

Budget Host Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Oakland County, MI
“Clean property with friendly staff”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My wife and two sons spent a night here on our way to Marquette. I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the entire property. It was one of the cleanest, best maintained places I have stayed at in a while. It is evident that the ownership/management take pride in this. Staff was also very friendly and helpful. Ask for a room on the second floor facing the water, and you'll have a nice view of the straits. The complimentary breakfast is mediocre, and I would advise staying away from the sausage patties, as they were not good at all. All in all, a very good stay, and I would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for room on second floor facing water for a nice view of the straits
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelHound1
StIggyBudHost, Director of Sales at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for the review and happy that you found our property to be one of the "cleanest, most well maintained" properties in awhile. I'm sorry that our sausage patties were not to your liking, but we hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Bloomfield Hills
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed for two nights in October 2010 at the beginning of our week in the UP. Went to Kewadin Casino in St. Ignace. This hotel was a good value. The room was spacious, bed comfortable. We had a small balcony and a view of the harbor across the road. The pool was nice and clean. Towels were available.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelFan48302
Thank you for your review of our property. We enjoy hearing from our guests and that you ffeel our property is a great value. We appreciate your comments and hope that you will find yourself with us again.
Milford, Michigan
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I chose this hotel based on the reviews here and was not disappointed. We needed a pet-friendly hotel which are hard to find but this property exceeded our expectations. The room was very clean, the pool area was very well maintained and the water was the perfect temperature. Our room had a small deck looking over the water which provided excellent views of the fireworks that evening. (I was told that there were fireworks every Sat. night between Memorial day and Labor Day in St. Ignance so be aware if your pet does not do well with the noise.) Breakfast was pretty standard as far as hotel breakfasts go. They also provided comlimentary cookies and beverages in the lobby in the evenings.

If I would change anything about the room I would suggest that there be a seperate sheer curtain over our sliding glass door leading to the first-floor deck so we could have had light come in and still maintained a bit of privacy. The blackout curtain provided plenty of privacy but no light and leaving the curtain open all the way felt a bit too exposed at times.

The staff was friendly, the checkin-checkout was prompt and efficient and the value was excellent. I would not hesitate to recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with decks facing the water have a great view of the Sat. night fireworks.
5 Thank akehcmbf
We are happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations.in our accommodations. We take our guest's comments very seriously as it allows us to continue doing our job exceptionally. I will pass your comments on to our General Manager. Thank you for taking the time to post a review here on Tripadvisor.
Appleton, WI
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Just back today from a 2 night stay on July 22 and 23rd at this hotel. This is going to sound snobbish (I want to point out that I am just an avg Joe by the way) but I never would have dreamed of staying at a Budget Host now in my late 30's...the impression I have is some dive hotel on the decline and my wife thought I booked us into a run down place as well and planned to bury me somewhere in the woods of the UP if it didn't turn out well. I use TA religiously to assist in all my vacation and business travel and have to say based on the awesome reviews and pictures my mind was open to the experience and boy was I glad I tried it...thank you fellow TA's for your insight and reviews of this place.

I have stayed at my share of dive hotels in my early 20's and everything in between, all the way up to my last stay at The Ritz in Dana Pt, CA on business about 6 months ago and by far our room this weekend was the cleanest I have ever stayed at. My wife who doesn't read TA (hard to believe) whom had not read prior reviews about the cleanliness of the hotel was quick to point out she also never stayed anywhere so clean. My hat off to Cheryl whom was our housekeeper for the last 2 nights .....bravo!!!

Whether it was a cleaning staff or the front desk, they were very friendly. The front desk pointed out all the events of the evening upon check-in and offered to help make the stay more enjoyable if we had any requests.

We stayed in room 217 and had a 2 bedroom suite with a TV in each bedroom and a living room complete with microwave, fridge and sink, couch the pulled out and a small table where we ate breakfast each morning. The bathroom area was great so that you could use one of the 2 separate sink areas with their own mirrors to get ready while someone else showered. This hotel deserves it's #1 TA ranking for the area.

Our room was right next to the elevators and usually I am quick to avoid these rooms for the noise they can bring but it was really super quiet which was great and we never heard our neighbors either even though the hotel seemed to be packed to the gills with guests. Our room had a view of the back parking lot but we didn't mind. Like other reviewers stated having a room with a balcony would have been great at night to sit out on and enjoy the cool breeze from the lake so you should see if you can get that side.

Breakfast was very plentiful and hot and we usually went down around 830 each morning with the kids and everyone could find something to eat from the donuts or breads to cereal, eggs and sausage. I love the meat gravy and potatoes each day personally.

We hit the pool with the kids quick on Friday and no one was around at supper time for about 30 min. It was also nice and not over run with the smell of chlorine like you find at other hotels. On Saturday we headed over to the island and walked only about 2 blocks to the Starline Ferry pier for the boat ride over. I believe the Arnold line is right there and Sheplers as well all within walking distance so you can leave the car back at the hotel.

On our way back from the island we meet another group of women staying at the Best Western and after we described for them our room and room rates and services we got they were all wishing they had booked the Budget Host and commented that was a heck of a value...I don't disagree one bit with that sediment and would gladly come back for our next stay while in St Ignace to the Budget Host. Keep up the great service and competitive pricing.

Suggestion: The one thing I would suggest is that they bring down the temp in the room upon arrival to a comfortable 75 so you have head start in the summer to cooling the room. We arrived and it was set at 82 and I know this is picky but it took a few hrs to cool. Everyone is different but I think 75 can be heated or cooled from there quicker for folks.

2 Thank Brazoo
Better than the Ritz...Wow...nice of you to say. Guest satisfaction is our top priority so we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and even recommended us to others on your ferry ride to Mackinac Island. We will continue with our great service and competitive pricing. Thank you so much for that. We hope that you will stay with us in the future.
Tecumseh, Michigan
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I find it hard to read hotel reviews without knowing what the writer expects....that said...I expect a CLEAN well kept room and ground, friendly staff and a quiet place to lay my head. That is exactly what I found. GREAT Hotel. I love it when they have a sheet on both sides of the blanket and they do this! The beds were very comfortable. The pillows a little flat, but it was minor. The woman at the front desk was not only friendly, but more than helpful and happily answered all of my questions about the area.

Room Tip: The balconies are an added bonus.
3 Thank smctlc
Thank you for your great review. We are always looking for ways to improve the comfort and experience of our guests and utilizing sheets on both sides of the blanket is just one of those. We are happy that you enjoyed this amenity as well and appreciate that we were everything you would expect. We, at Budget Host Inn & Suites thank you once again and look forward to serving you in the future.
Tunkhannock
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Traveling with a dog, which help me decide to stay here.. Nice downtown location, can walk to shops and restraunts.. Room had been refurbished and very clean...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Kenziety10
We are happy to be here for our guests traveling with their pets. Thank you and we hope you will allow us to accommodate you in the future.
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I stayed here for two nights. The first night was June 30th and we only paid $75. The second night was July 3rd and we paid $120 because it was the night before the 4th of July. At $75, this hotel is great and you can overlook the minor inconveniences. At $120, the hotel is not so good and I would not stay here again for that price.

The rooms are clean, as others have mentioned, and the property seems to be pretty new. There's nothing horrible about the Budget Host but a few things annoyed me. First, the sheets are scratchy and of a low quality that one finds at low end motels. The mattress wasn't too comfortable either. The other thing I didn't like was the air conditioner was too small to cool the room effectively. Most times in St. Ignace you don't need the a/c but the room we were in was above the pool and it got quite stuffy in our room.

There is a nice pool, especially if you have kids and a large game room. The breakfast sitting area is inadequate and you will probably have to get your breakfast to go. Service was friendly and willing to help with suggestions.

Overall, you could do much worse but I just don't think this is the best hotel in St. Igance (as it is currently ranked).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jason P
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments here. We appreciate our guest's input. I'm sorry that you found our sheets not to your taste. We do use a quality sheet and in fact put 3 sheets per bed, one on each side ot the blanket. Concerning the rate structure, if is common throughout the lodging industry to adjust rates during different dates and demand...that accounts for the higher rate during Special Event week-ends etc. It is our practice to always inform guests of the varying rates which may apply during these stays. Furthermore, each guest is asked to sign and initial a Rate Sheet stating that they understand and were given the accurate rates. I have passed your comments on to our Genreal Manager and we thank you agian for posting this for us.