“slow slow slow service”

Ranked #6 of 42 Restaurants in Saint Ignace
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Our family went to Java Joe's on a Thursday night. It's a small place and it was busy, we got the last table. They are very friendly but they are so slow! I believe they have one cook/chef and she was obviously overwhelmed! Two of us had an omelet, one a salad and the other two split a pizza. While the food was pretty good, (we were starving) it took an hour to get it. Much too long. I noticed other tables getting dinners. A diner got her meal, her companion got his minutes later. Java Joe should have gone in the kitchen to help out instead of walking around and chatting with everyone.

1  Thank BarbaraAnn58

Reviewed June 17, 2007

We decided to eat at Java Joe's after reading the reviews on this board. We weren't disappointed. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. Breakfast is served all day and there is a huge selection. There are also burgers, sandwiches and wraps, chicken, pasta, pizza, and delicious looking desserts. I don't think anyone would have a problem finding something they like. My husband had the pastie and declared it excellent. Joe was there the night we had dinner and is quite a character. He stops to chat with everyone and has a story about everywhere and everything! When we're back in the area we'll be sure to stop in again.

1  Thank SZA-LCA
Reviewed June 14, 2007

Great food!!!!!!! Joe and Sandy great hosts!!!!!!! If you want good food, great conversation and insight to everything in the area, you have to eat at Java Joe's. Don't miss the crepes and the Joe's pancake.

1  Thank kevnor
Reviewed November 26, 2006

....St. Ignace is where I as born and raised, but I haven't lived there since 1975 and the real reason I originally stopped in to eat at Java Joe's is that it is located almost exactly where my grandmother's house was back in the 1960s. Anyway, enough with the history.

When we stopped in for breakfast, we were very surprised to see the size of the menu. The crepes caught my eye, and they were quite amazing. My wife chose the pancakes along with a few other things and she was equally delighted. If you have the opportunity to meet the owner while you are there, it will make what you thought was simply a great "breakfast" more of an "experience" as he is a very fun guy to talk to.

This place is highly recommended.

2  Thank martinaxe
Reviewed September 22, 2006

Background: we were tourists in St. Ignace on a quiet Thursday in September. We were headed to a different restaurant up the road for breakfast, but came to a screeching halt when we passed here. The sign mentioned crepes. Sounds great! Little did we know that the food was just the beginning. But I will get to that later.

The decor in the main room is filled with photos of happy customers devouring Joe’s surely-famous strawberry shortcake or hot fudge sundaes, along with an eclectic assortment of colorful teapots, that look to be for sale as well.

The breakfast menu was huge, so we ordered a few different things, and split them. The fruit-topped crepes we ordered did not disappoint, but they were overshadowed by some granola pancakes that were so good, I didn't sully them with syrup (the dusting of powdered sugar they came with was perfect alone). I was told the granola in them was home-made, but regardless, I think it was the best pancake I've ever had. We also split a Swiss-spinach-onion omelet that was very tasty (but again, those pancakes were the BEST).

“Joe” (not sure if that’s his real name) himself made the trip priceless. We asked him about finding a place to board our dog while we went to Mackinac Island for the day, and he went out of his way to get us the info. It is tough to describe, but he was informative, hilarious, opinionated, cheerful, and friendly. We really appreciate seeing people who obviously love their jobs, and “Joe” sure seems to love meeting and serving his customers.

So how could we not go back that same evening to have strawberry shortcake? It was huge, and the shortcake all by itself was a home-made taste sensation. It’s pretty heavy on the whipped cream, but our waitress obliged us and put less on than usual.

We had never heard of this place in our lives before stopping in that day, but we truly enjoyed both the food and the experience. We very highly recommend it for breakfast and dessert. When we ever get back there for lunch or dinner, we’ll post here again.

1  Thank MichiganNomads