“LOVE IT!!!!!!!”

Java Joe's Cafe
Ranked #7 of 42 Restaurants in Saint Ignace
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
MI
“LOVE IT!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2009

A must stop in St Ignace. Breakfasts are out of this world. Granola/yogurt parfait is to die for~! Dont let the exterior fool you, we love the food, staff is so very attentive. Friendly place. We will be back.

Williamston, Michigan
“Great Breakfast, with nice people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

on a rather rainy dispiriting morning in St Ignace we entered the bright sunshine colours of Java Joe's .Beautiful well thought out decor with upper shelves entirely covered in a riotous colour of teapots .The host was exhuberant welcoming with cries of coffee,coffee, which is just what I needed to hear.My husband had pecan pancakes which were dessert delicious and I had traditional breakfast which was so good it makes you wonder why it is such a rarity -- I suspect the secret is good ingredients.My only sadness was I had not discovered it the previous night --they actually had real food like goulash on the menu.

Elkhart, Indiana
“Java Joe's - once again a delightful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2009

We stayed one night in St. Ignace and like 4 years before we walked from our hotel (Quality Inn Lakefront) less than block over to Java Joe's for breakfast. Joe himself was making up food and also taking time to chat with everyone to see what their plans were for the day. I had wonderful Reese's pieces pancake and my husband had a greek omelette. Yum! We got there early as it is small and fills up quickly but it is very much worth the wait if you had to. Awesome place!!

Oxford, Michigan
“Worth The Bridge Fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

I lived in the Straits area some years ago and get back a couple of times a year to visit. Usually I end up in one of the places in Mackinaw City eating the same thing more or less when dining out. This time in Sept. 09 I decided to try the Bridgeview in Mackinaw City once again, when I arrived they had yet to open. This lead to the trip "up across" and on to St. Igance. Looking for something different I planned on stopping at the first place that looked like the locals might eat there. As I drove through the " downtown area" nothing really looked like much, kept going along the lake and drove by a flash of color on the right, all I caught was the colors and "Java Joes". Not being the cappefrappelatte type I drove up another block and curiosity got the best of me, so back I went. Parked in the lot (small) got out and noticed all the artwork on the building along with the sign stating all hippies must use the side door. Now I was getting more comfortable by the second.
Once in and seated in the covered "patio" area Joe was there almost instantly with a menu and an offer of coffee, both accepted immediately. Since this was now off season I was surprised that the service was that rapid as there was apparently only Joe and the cook there to take care of the 8 to 10 tables. This was done efficiently with no loss of quality to the service or the food.
The menu is printed on newspaper, it is a full menu with an variety of meals that range from the "lite breakfast" @ $3.29 for 2 eggs with white, whole wheat, marble rye or sourdough toast to almost 2 dozen pancake varieties as well as over 2 dozen different omelets, want to share an omelet? For a buck eighty nine more they will get you the plate, more hash browns and thick slice toast. Stuff like this doesn't happen in tourist towns like St. Ignace.
I ordered the biscuits and gravy with hash browns and a couple o.e. eggs. Biscuits were absolutely first class,lightest I have ever had, gravy could have been spiced up a little more but that is a personal preference, eggs were perfect, hb's a golden brown, all piping hot. If it's breafast Joe's probably serves it.
On to the rest of the menu and it covers burgers, pizza, pasties, goulash, meatoaf, casseroles, pasta, Mexican, crepes, soups and salads, bbq chicken, fish ........the list goes on to desserts and the expessocappolatte stuff.
I spent under $7.00 for breakfast + coffee and tip. I also spent the $6.00 for the round trip bridge fare and it was worth every penny of it. Other than some of the pizzas with the more exotic toppings the most expensive item I remember being on the menu was a 1/2 broiled or grilled chicken @ $12.99 that is unless you feel up to a whole fresh pie @ $16.95. This is the kind of place you can feel comfortable in the minute you walk in and the banter going between the tables seems to be between anyone that happens to be there at the moment whether they know each other or not. One thing I didn't hear was a complaint.
Next time around going to stay on the North side of the bridge and try and work my way through a few more of the menu items.
Open Memorial Day through Labor Day 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. After Labor Day hours vary, I was there around 8:30 - 9:00 a.m. Call [--]or 5637 to check hours.

1 Thank thumper0001
Michigan
“Our new favorite place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

Quaint, different, unique. Isn't much to look at from the road, but dont pass this gem by.......give it a try. You'll be glad you did. FABULOUS menu.....Breakfast available all day.
Pancakes, Crepe's., Mexican, Meat Loaf, Mac and Cheese, Pizza, Angus Burgers, Whitefish, Home made Pies... just a FEW of what's available. Fast, friendly service with HUGE PORTIONS TOO. Come dressed as you are. Nothing fancy, and darn good food.

2 Thank LWOS