My wife, my son and I stayed one night in September while we were passing through Saint Ignace on the way to the Upper Peninsula of MI. Overall the B&B is an average one, but we found the breakfast to be disappointing, and had one particular issue that hopefully has been corrected since our stay. The following are the details we noticed in our one night at the Boardwalk Inn:
• Located right by the waterfront and marina in the middle of downtown Saint Ignace. Many shops, restaurants, and activities are nearby.
• Owners are friendly and helpful.
• We were traveling with our 2 year old son, and the Boardwalk Inn accepts children, which is not the case with majority of B&Bs (I suppose this could be a negative if you are not traveling with kids, but it was positive for us).
• The bed had bedbugs. I checked the mattress and box spring after I found what I thought was a bedbug crawling on the sink. I found a number of dead bugs in the corner crease of the box spring. When I pointed this out to the owners, they were quick to promise to take care of the problem and refunded our night’s charges. They were very apologetic and seemed sincere in taking care of the problem. Before staying here, please call to find out if they have eradicated the problem. (I should note that bedbugs can be brought into any hotel by a guest in their luggage and clothing from another location, and doesn’t necessarily indicate poor housekeeping or a low level of cleanliness in the infected hotel. The problem does have to be taken care of quickly, however, before it spreads to other rooms, or to guests’ homes.)
• The furnishings seem somewhat mismatched and outdated. I understand that the room is intended to be filled with antiques, but somehow they do not seem to do together, and some of the modern conveniences of even old-fashioned B&Bs are missing (e.g., a phone in the room, a modern alarm clock, hairdryer, etc).
• The floor are rather creaky and the walls quite thin, leading to noisy neighbors.
• The breakfast quality, variety and service were not what I expect for a B&B. The choices were very limited – cold cereal, oatmeal from a packet, hot cocoa from a packet, supermarket bagels, concentrated juice and some fruit. The coffeemaker in the dining area is set to come on early morning, and it holds about 6 cups and is not refilled. The coffee comes with powdered creamer and sugar, which are next to the roll of paper towels that serves as napkins. We did not see the hosts at any time during the breakfast service, and various items needed attention, such as resetting the coffeemaker, or refilling food as it ran out. Especially for a B&B type establishment, this area of service must be improved.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Boardwalk Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.