“Average B&B, but Make Sure Bugs Have Been Eradicated”
Review of Boardwalk Inn

Boardwalk Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Saint Ignace B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2008

My wife, my son and I stayed one night in September while we were passing through Saint Ignace on the way to the Upper Peninsula of MI. Overall the B&B is an average one, but we found the breakfast to be disappointing, and had one particular issue that hopefully has been corrected since our stay. The following are the details we noticed in our one night at the Boardwalk Inn:

Positives:
• Located right by the waterfront and marina in the middle of downtown Saint Ignace. Many shops, restaurants, and activities are nearby.
• Owners are friendly and helpful.
• We were traveling with our 2 year old son, and the Boardwalk Inn accepts children, which is not the case with majority of B&Bs (I suppose this could be a negative if you are not traveling with kids, but it was positive for us).

Negatives:
• The bed had bedbugs. I checked the mattress and box spring after I found what I thought was a bedbug crawling on the sink. I found a number of dead bugs in the corner crease of the box spring. When I pointed this out to the owners, they were quick to promise to take care of the problem and refunded our night’s charges. They were very apologetic and seemed sincere in taking care of the problem. Before staying here, please call to find out if they have eradicated the problem. (I should note that bedbugs can be brought into any hotel by a guest in their luggage and clothing from another location, and doesn’t necessarily indicate poor housekeeping or a low level of cleanliness in the infected hotel. The problem does have to be taken care of quickly, however, before it spreads to other rooms, or to guests’ homes.)
• The furnishings seem somewhat mismatched and outdated. I understand that the room is intended to be filled with antiques, but somehow they do not seem to do together, and some of the modern conveniences of even old-fashioned B&Bs are missing (e.g., a phone in the room, a modern alarm clock, hairdryer, etc).
• The floor are rather creaky and the walls quite thin, leading to noisy neighbors.
• The breakfast quality, variety and service were not what I expect for a B&B. The choices were very limited – cold cereal, oatmeal from a packet, hot cocoa from a packet, supermarket bagels, concentrated juice and some fruit. The coffeemaker in the dining area is set to come on early morning, and it holds about 6 cups and is not refilled. The coffee comes with powdered creamer and sugar, which are next to the roll of paper towels that serves as napkins. We did not see the hosts at any time during the breakfast service, and various items needed attention, such as resetting the coffeemaker, or refilling food as it ran out. Especially for a B&B type establishment, this area of service must be improved.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Bengali_Traveler

Reviewed September 21, 2008

The Boardwalk Inn was built in the 1920's and was renovated into a bed and breakfast type hotel. The owners operate the hotel and are very friendly and helpful. The small hotel rooms were combined into multiples during the renovation to make spacious modern rooms. Our room had been two rooms. The suites are larger. The furniture is wooden, and antique. There is a common room on the 2nd floor that is used for coffee, breakfast, and lounging. This is not a chain hotel experience. There are no phones in the rooms (use your cell phone), but there is wi-fi. There are small tv's. We liked its central location. We were able to walk to many things, which we like. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jayne9
Reviewed January 22, 2008

We stayed here while snowmobiling and it was fantastic, Jim and Kayla are the best, very helpful and friendly. The rooms were very clean and functional. This is a great value and a great place to stay wile vacationing in the UP.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank cr737
Reviewed July 20, 2007

We enjoyed the Boardwalk Inn. It is not like staying in brand new hotel, but is a nice change from the usual hotel. Rooms were cutely decorated and clean. It was quiet and restful.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank mmsportsmom
Reviewed July 18, 2007

We just spent two nights at the Boardwalk Inn in St. Ignace, MI. I believe it is the oldest still operating inn in St. Ignace. It dates back to the 1920s, and is decorated appropriately. It was wonderful! The lobby was quaint and comfotrable. There were beautiful antiques scattered throughout the house. Our party took up three rooms. My sister will write her own review, I'm sure, of The St. Anthony Suite which was a two-room suite. The other two rooms we used were The Heartland Room and The Homestead Room. Each room has its own window air conditioner, although we certainly didn't need it. The period decorating was very charming. I never met Jim but Kayla was certainly very nice and helpful. I would love to go back and stay longer there. It is within walking distance to the boat docks to catch a ferry to Mackinac Island, and right on the main road for walking and souvenier shopping. Kayla gave us recommendations for restaurants, and I loved having the wi-fi hookup for my laptop. I just can't recommend it high enough. For anyone who likes old-fashioned, laid-back atmosphere, this is for them.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Catservant
Reviewed March 11, 2005

My husband and I love the Boardwalk Inn. We first stayed here several years ago when it was under different ownership, and have returned three times under the current ownership - Jim and Kayla.

It is a lovely alternative to the cookie-cutter chain motels in the Mackinac area, with an excellent value for your money and none of the attitude you might find at some of the other area hotels.

The rooms are individually decorated and spacious, the hosts as friendly as you could ask for, the resident dog - T-bone - is a sweetie, and the continental breakfasts get your day started right.

Their prices are excellent, both in- and off- season, and it is the only place we stay when we're in the Straits area.

10  Thank StreamGrl
#12 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Budget Host Inn & Suites
Budget Host Inn & Suites
#2 of 29 in Saint Ignace

Been to Boardwalk Inn? Share your experiences!