“Good deal”
Review of Cedar Hill Lodge

Cedar Hill Lodge
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This family-run hotel gave a formerly vacant property a facelift. The owner's daughter ran the front desk, and shared with us that they opened at the beginning of this summer with great prices to get the word out there. What especially endeared this property to us was the large open lawn with outdoor sports equipment (volleyball, soccer) and an indoor swimming pool (although the jacuzzi was still under renovation).

We booked the day before our arrival and were pleasantly surprised at the location (a short walk to the beach), the cleanliness, and the hospitality. Breakfast was above average, with "hot breakfast" being pancakes, sausage patties, French toast sticks, and biscuits & gravy. Rooms were basic but clean and mostly well-kept. When a problem with the TV occurred, the owner was immediately available to fix it.

We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Being raised in a family business, I look for locally owned family businesses to enjoy while I travel. I was nervous after reading some of the reviews, but when I called to book my stay, the woman I spoke with on the phone seemed very cheerful and helpful so I had a good feeling about our stay.

When my children and I arrived after a long drive, we wanted to relax in our room and enjoy the pool. However, upon checking into our room we realized it had not been cleaned since the previous stay. All of the garbage bins were full and the beds were unmade. I promptly notified the front desk and the young man working had no idea what to do. We left and scouted out nearby motels for other options. Upon our return, we were given another room yet I still did not have a good feeling, the room was dingy and dark with worn out carpet, peeling wallpaper and a musty smell. Since we'd already been charged and I didn't feel our chances were good at a refund, (and we were on a tight budget) we decided to stay.

I try to find the good in everything, but when I killed a rather large bug in the bathroom on the first day and it still had not been found nor cleaned by the housekeeping staff by day three, I struggle with recommending this hotel to others. It is obvious that the staff was very inexperienced and could use some training in the proper cleaning of the rooms.

I'm sure that the new owners are trying to fix up the place and at some point it could be a really nice motel, but they need to pay more attention to the little details.

Until then, I'd recommend spending a few extra dollars for a nicer place.

1  Thank JenG941
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Ok, I realized that when I called the last minute on a Thursday, for a next day arrival on Friday, I was taking some risks. We got there on late afternoon and checked in. Everyone at the desk was friendly and helpful. What I liked... was the staff. Although at times they were limited, they worked hard to please and they did for us three times. Twice to help the get Direct TV on and once to move us to another room as the first room had an overwhelming musty order. It was done quickly and with a smile. What I didn't like...was the lack of detail by management. Carpet in our first room was loose and bunched up. Wallpaper was coming loose in bathroom and in room itself. I noticed the parking lot was freshly coated but the buildings need fresh paint as they were peeling and fading. The carpeting on outdoor stairways to the second floor were raveling apart. Besides not looking good, someone could trip and get hurt. Now the breakfast. If your going to use this as a feature draw, better back it up. I sat and watched only one staff member rush back and forth and continue to fill the hot food as well as the cold drinks as people stood in line. She could hardly keep up. Some were patient and some were not. There is some need for better preparation and help here. I also notice no one at front desk at that time. So i assume she was doing double duty. Details. Windows in breakfast room needed cleaning as well as some sprucing up. There's more than just depending on a flat screen TV. I use tripadvisor a lot and wont give you guys a second look next time. You have too much competition.

Room Tip: Good location off the expressway.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CFHazard
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

We are pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, this is our main goal with every guest: Friendly and helpful service. Your concern of limiting staffing for breakfast that particular morning was do to being short staffed for a day and the issue has been resolved. The property is currently being revived and refreshed after being closed for a few years, and the paint on the buildings is next on our list of property Improvements. Guest areas are, of course clean and in good repair. Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

My husband and I took the kids (9 and 7) on a 9-day trip around the Great Lakes. We spent a lot of time researching places to stay in the Mackinac area. You'll have no problem finding accommodations where you can dump a bunch of money. Luckily, this place isn't one of those. I'm fairly finicky about hotel rooms, especially when the kids are along. I was a bit nervous with the low price, but we were super pleased with this gem! Rooms were clean, inviting, and roomy. Ours had a balcony with a partial lake view. The hotel staff were welcoming, friendly, professional and very helpful with suggestions and directions. The location was just fine, too. It's right across the street from the on-ramp for the Mackinac Bridge, and the ferries are a short drive away. No need to worry about parking -- there's plenty at the ferry docks.

Add in free WiFi and a hearty breakfast, and we were happy as clams.

Overall, I have nothing but good things to say about the Cedar Hill Lodge!

1  Thank roadlesstraveled76
Luke P, Owner at Cedar Hill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for being our guest during your most recent visit to the St. Ignace area. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Its our goal at Cedar Hill Lodge to provide every guest with a warm and memorable stay, while they see the beautiful Straits Area. We are glad to hear that you were able to find lots to do while you were in town, the front desk staff is always willing to provide friendly advice on what to check out during your stay. We hope to see your family again really soon! Thank you!

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed three nights at the lodge. We stayed in a pet friendly suite in the Spruce building. The new owners are wonderful! They go above and beyond to make sure you have everything you need. The entire staff is very friendly and helpful. The lobby in the lodge is welcoming with comfy furniture and a large TV. I loved the 'up north' decor. The breakfast room was large and they serve much more than the typical continental breakfast. The indoor pool is open until 10pm every night. The pool area was clean with a depth of 3ft to 5ft. Clean pool towels are available. The hot tub was under construction but it looks like it will be very nice when finished. We enjoyed playing volleyball on the front lawn as well as tether ball. There is a nice patio area with a couple picnic tables. We bought some subs from Subway and enjoyed a quick dinner on the patio. The view of the water is amazing! We loved being minutes from downtown. Traveling with family and pets, we appreciated the grocery store across the street. They are in the process of updating the rooms. I can't wait to return next year (yes, we already made our reservation) and see what they have done. This is a perfect place for families. I felt as if we visited a resort. From the little things (stringing white lights on the trees) to the big things (new mattresses and flat screen TV's), I know this will be the best place to stay when traveling up north.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I am not generally pleased about staying anywhere and don't do reviews except absolutely terrible places.....I like 100 bucks or less and a fairly decent hotel no matter what, even at tourist time....So, After two nights in another hotel (not great) we ended up looking for a different hotel since we were still going to stay around Mackinaw. So this was a search and find on a Saturday night. Lots of hotels/motels so didn't worry...too much. This was one of the first hotels right after the bridge. It was our 3 or 4th stop to check for vacancy/rates. Couldn't believe it. New owners I believe. First impression was really good. Very nice staff-especially the two I encountered most, nice pool area with a hot tub that was being re-done (looks like it will be very nice), clean rooms, large yard where volley ball court, shuffle board are, an OK view of the lake (nice sun rise), better than average breakfast, large parking spots etc. My wife, girls and I are still happy that we found/stayed at this place and will think of it first the next time. We'd recommend it to anyone. Hope they do well. Oh, I even forgot something important there and they found/held it for me till I came back

2  Thank Prowl66

Thank you for being our guest during your visit to the beautiful St. Ignace area. All of us here at Cedar Hill Lodge are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. A clean and comfortable room, warm and friendly staff, and a good breakfast are what we strive to give every guest. There are a lot of things to do and see in the area and you cant see it all in one trip, so come back soon, we look forward to being your host again. Thank you!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have stayed here several times and each stay has proved to go above and beyond my expectations. The staff is friendly, the rooms are very very nice and the location is extremely desirable. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the St. Ignace, MI area!

• Stayed: July 2013