“Overrated”

Cuisines: American
Description: ph (906)643-8487
Description: ph (906)643-8487
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stopped by to try the famous pasties and came away totally disappointed. The beef, chicken, and veggie all had similar taste with an abundance of diced potatoes, we could not tell the difference at all. The pasties were dry and the 'pasty' sauce provided was nothing more than ketchup.

1  Thank DiamondPlus

Reviewed May 28, 2014

What a wonderful surprise to find our favorite Cornish dish - pasties - in St Ignace while we were on vacation. We had both the chicken and beef pasties, with a side of gravy and coleslaw, and they were absolutely delicious. All homemade from scratch. The lemonade was delicious too. Great meal, wonderful service, and excellent value. The menu included some lovely paninis and sandwiches, but it was pasties all the way for us. We will definitely be recommending this place to all our friends visiting the UP!

1  Thank pctealover
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I always make it a point to stop and get a pasty whenever I am in the UP. I have stopped at Bessie's two years in a row and have really enjoyed the pasties that they make. The prices are reasonable and you can get gravy and coleslaw with your pasty. However, the only option for pasties are beef, chicken, or veggie. I tend to enjoy places that offer some more variety as far as pasty flavors (ham and cheese, ones with rhubarb, etc.). It was odd because last year when I was there they served them with a "pasty" sauce which sort of tasted like a mix between ketchup, A1 sauce, and BBQ sauce, but this year when I went the waitress was adamant that they never had such a sauce. Staff isn't overly friendly, but I will probably return because it is quick and tasty.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Bessie's was our first stop in St. Ignace, to sample the famous pasties. It was the first visit to the UP for both my partner and myself. We weren't sure how well we'd be treated, since the UP isn't well known for being particularly progressive to the LGBT community, but everyone was very nice.

The pasties at Bessie's lived up to the hype. My partner had the beef pasty platter, and I had the mini pasties. (They were plenty big enough!)

Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank Phat_Unicorn
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stopped by here for pasties, really good pastie and had homemade cookies too. Reasonable prices and friendly local service.