“Always an Excellent Place to Stay”
Review of Driftwood Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint Ignace
Driftwood Motel
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Charlevoix, Michigan
“Always an Excellent Place to Stay”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

I've stayed at the Driftwood many times over the years. The rooms are competitively priced, remodeled, modern and always clean and comfortable. The staff is always friendly.

The motel is located on the edge of downtown and a convenient, 2 minute walk to a great restaurant and bar. I stay at the Driftwood whenever I am in St. Ignace for the evening. There is no reason to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
hannah2-7, Manager at Driftwood Motel, responded to this review, October 2, 2014
Thank you very much for the wonderful review. We always want to make our guests feel comfortable and we want them to enjoy their stay. I am so happy that you had such a pleasant experience. We hope to have the opportunity to be your host again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed August 11, 2014

The Driftwood Motel is a cute, old fashioned motel. All rooms are ground level. The good is the bathroom and shower which were nice and seemed to be recently remodeled. The beds were quite comfortable. The chairs in the room were rather old and not in good shape. The housekeeping service was good with the exception of the coffee maker which was never cleaned (we stayed 4 nights). The housekeeper just replaced the actual coffee packets but did not provide new creamers, stirring sticks, etc.

The motel's greatest asset is it's location which directly across from the ferries to Mackinac Island and a small beach on Lake Huron. St. Ignace's downtown with restaurants and shops is also within easy walking distance.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlennandPat
Thank you for taking the time to review the Driftwood Motel. We appreciate your business. I do apologize for the coffeepot not being maintained properly and have spoken to housekeeping about this issue. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We hope to have the opportunity to be your host again in the future.
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Cute, cozy, and clean. Newly remodeled bathroom. Very friendly service. Great price. Close to ferry lines. Good, cheap breakfast. Nice place to stay with a dog. Felt kind of retro, in a good way. Would definitely stay here again if we're in St. Ignace!

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Diane D
Thank you for your nice review of the Driftwood Motel! We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to be your host in the future.
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Have stayed here twice, the most recent trip this past weekend. Rooms are clean, beds comfortable and the attached restaurant has outstanding food. The only minor complaint is that their WiFi can be hard to connect to. Not enough of a problem to prevent me from staying here again, however. I have already made reservations for our next family trip to the UP. Great place to stay and I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank DeniseLM1966
Thank you very much for the great review. We really appreciate your patronage and you taking the time to give us such a nice review. We hope to have the opportunity to be your host in the future.
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Nice little motel across the street from the water. Clean and friendly. Has a restaurant attached with adult beverages. Had a good breakfast before leaving for Mackinac Island. Boat ferries are right across the street. Beds a little firm. Good price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank traveler35691
Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will allow us the opportunity to be your host again in the future.
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

This review is a difficult one to write simply because the restaurant and motels service was vastly different.

The restaurant: Absolutely great. Quiet, fast, great food. Service was wonderful. Went in and out throughout our week of stay and had no issues anytime of day. Drinks and food were quality for the price. Ate at several locations in town and they had by far the best food and service in the area.

The motel: The view was nice to the ferry and the water. The room was stocked upon arrival with towels, coffee, etc as you would expect. As the days passed however these things were not refilled/restocked by house keeping. In fact house keeping only came in to replace a few towels during the week of stay. The beds were not made once, I had to ask the front desk to have our trash changed, I had coffee the first day but it was never restocked, and we even ran out of toilet paper in the room and had to flag house keeping down to get more. By the time the last day came I simply left the 'do not disturb' on the knob all day because I got sick of hoping they would come in. We had placed money in the envelope for our housekeeping each day until about day three, but took it back out because they didn't do anything!

Lastly, room cleanliness was an issue. There were beer bottles under our bed from previous guests. Two nights before departure my husband woke up with a tick on his leg. We thought he must have gotten it somehow the prior day,removed it,and continued our trip. The last night however, I went to shower and had a tick on my leg also. We had been out earlier in the day, but I had changed from shorts to jeans upon arrival back in the room, and did not have the tick then. We had eaten dinner inside and been in the room/motel grounds for several hours before I noticed the tick attached to me. This motel is pet friendly so I assume that's where the tick came from but I had enough. We left and took a red eye drive home instead of waiting until check out the following morning.

I would eat at the restaurant again for sure, but I would not stay at the motel again.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Tiffany S
hannah2-7, Owner at Driftwood Motel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I was pleased that you enjoyed the restaurant. I would like to apologize for the displeasure with your motel room. There is no excuse for trash being left in the room. I have taken this up with our housekeeping department. Unfortunately, this area has a decent amount of problematic insects, including ticks. We do use use a professional bug/pest company for not only our buildings, but also for the grounds. Please rest assured that we are doing everything in our power to diminish the numbers that Mother Nature is producing. I am sorry that you will not give us the opportunity to be your host again in the future. Thank you for your past patronage.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed two nites with our dog. Good beds, loose sheets, very clean overall. AC worked, so did all lights. Comfortable, felt clean.

Oddities included no towel racks (one hook on the door) and a backward set up in the bathroom. I suspect the plumbing was moved to the interior to avoid cold-wall freeze, but the hot/cold on our sink were cross connected someplace...often got hot on the cold tap. The remodel is very pleasing, but short on electrical outlets. Oh well. (I feel sorry for owners who don't test-try their offerings!)

This is over-ruled by the pet friendliness, and the pet friendly Shepler's Ferry across the street. The bar & restaurant on premises wasn't a problem, it gives this place an all-inclusive plus!! I would recommend this place and stay here again.

Room Tip: All seem good. Units 1 to say 10 will face the harbor.