“Good value and great location”

Breakers Resort - Lakeside
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Four of us stayed here for our mini-trip to the area. We got a room right on the first floor because we had kids that wanted to use the pool. Our room faced directly to Mackinaw Island and had the bonus of being able to walk out our sliding doors. (Note to self, bring binoculars next time!) However, we did not walk far because the entire lawn was covered with goose poops. Our hometown is also plagued by geese on the river fronts and I know that getting rid of them is an exercise in futility so I really don't know what the hotel can do. Maybe some remote control coyotes? You could even charge guests to use the remote control and chase the geese off!

The free continental breakfast was a bonus and we took advantage of it every morning. We did not mind that it was in a separate building, but it should be noted that it is an uphill walk, so perhaps the elderly would not like that so much. I did not check the rates, but the same people also own the Holiday Inn Express next door and the breakfast is in the main building there.

The pool was very nice and the hot tub was just right! Oh, and the a.c. in the room worked excellent! Free wi-fi was nice as was the presence of a mini-fridge.

A short drive south from the hotel and you are at the ferry boats to Mackinaw Island. (We used Star and took the designated ferry that went underneath the bridge as a bonus. Check their schedules.) Nearby are stores and restaurants. We were here for 4 days and never ate at the same place twice. Driving further south will take you to the famed bridge. There is a nice park there from which to see the bridge and area. You can drive over the bridge (I think it's $4 one-way) but we did not do so since our ferry already went under it on our trip to the island! The bridge will take you over to Mackinaw City.

Driving north from the hotel will bring you to Highway 75. At this intersection is Castle Rock. This is a must do and costs only $1 per person to climb. Plan on about 20-30 minutes there. Highway 75 will then will take you to Sault Saint Marie (Soo locks) and Tahquamenon Falls (each about an hour to 1-1/2 drive).

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the water. 1st floor rooms have opening patio doors.
1  Thank WiscoTraveler

Reviewed August 20, 2013

When we arrived we passed up the check-in building as it was separate from the hotel. Had the big Comfort Inn sign on the street, but nothing on the motel itself or on the check-in building. The Holiday Express was right next door, so for a minute we weren't sure what was what. The room was average, but the bathroom was really small. Sink was outside of the bathroom and also very small without much area to put toiletries. Room was clean. What bugged me the most was the fact that we had to walk to the check-in building for the breakfast. If it was raining or snowing it would not be appreciated. I have never experienced that before in the Comfort Inns. Breakfast was as always, very busy and the staff were really good at trying to keep up on the demand. A change of menu would be appreciated when a person spends more than one night, but I do understand that might be very hard to do. No refrigerator in the room which would have been appreciated.

Room Tip: We were on the street side and it was fairly quiet as far as other room noise. We did hear traffic n...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erm47
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I would recommend this hotel! It is in a great location- just a few miles away from the bridge. It was reasonably priced for a lakeside view. The room was very clean. My kids enjoyed the pool & hot tub. They did not smell overly chlorinated. The free continental breakfast had a variety of hot & cold items! Good value for the price!

Room Tip: We had a ground level floor. This was nice for the kids to just go right out the door to play footb...
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very nice room, was one of the cleanest rooms I have been to while traveling in this area. The view is very nice if you have a lakeside room. The Wifi is hit and miss but that was not important to us during our stay. If you are bothered by the potential of someone smoking around the corner or six rooms over then it might be best to not stay here or any hotel with outside balconies.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I agree with the other reviewer. We were excited to have a waterfront room and balcony to enjoy the sunrise ONLY to have it ruined by smokers on theirs. ;-( Too bad! It's a huge hotel and our room was huge! We were so happy to pay at least $100 less then staying in Mackinaw City like we have done before, just for going over the bridge! The free breakfast was average. The beach area is nice enough.. there is sand to sit in but not exactly a 'beach' and lake area. It was very mucky. But we enjoyed a walk along it anyway (to get away from the smokers) and enjoy the sunrise! Beautiful!

1  Thank LoveKYlivn
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a hotel in a tourist area. I was at the hotel in the peak of the season. The room, bed, and breakfast were ok. The Wifi was lousy. The hotel has no exercise room. My room fronted on the lake and the sound of breaking waves was pleasant. The breakfast was very crowded and the hotel had people on duty keeping up with the demand. It is just that for about $100 you should get usable Wifi.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hotel is fine except for the fact that a non smoker like me thought I could sit out on the balcony of my expensive 4th floor smoke free room and enjoy the sunrise or just the view of the lake, however I was choked out by the cigarette smoke from the balcony below and could not even sit on my paid-for balcony. The front desk stated "I don't know what you want me to do for you" and "they are allowed to smoke on their balcony" and offered no sympathy or apology for my situation. I won't be recommending or staying at the St Ignace Comfort Inn again.

1  Thank fomocojo