“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mackinac Grille

Mackinac Grille
Ranked #17 of 42 Restaurants in Saint Ignace
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Had just come from Mackinaw Island and we decided to stop there for dinner. Service was great! The fresh perch even better. If we were in the area would definitely eat there again.

“I'd give this restaurant a second thought before returning”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I visited the Mackinac Grill on a Sunday. It has been said they have a great Sunday Brunch. I I took guests here and was very embarassed and disappointed. The food on the buffet looked like it had sat around for many hours without any staff attention. The pasta was dried on the surface, the fish not refilled, mashed potatoes were cold, and the vegetable did not look appetizing at all. Since I had invited guests I quickly went ahead of them and tried to make the dishes look presentable, as if they weren't dried up and/or low on selection, by stirring up what was there. When I made a comment to the waitress she just ignored me. Overall, service wasn't the greatest. We chose to eat on the patio but had to ask that the TV volume be turned down. It was impossible to visit with a sports game that no one was watching blaring in the background. I would think twice before returning for the Sunday Brunch.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Gingerop
Allegan, Michigan
“St Ignace - a drinking village with a fishing problem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Nice size restaurant with good food, good prices. We ate a late lunch here. The slogan on the wait staff shirts gave me a good chuckle. I had the turkey reuben and my husband had a burger. Steak fries were good too. You can eat inside or outside. Staff was prompt and friendly.

Visited September 2012
Detroit, Michigan
“Whitefish on the sign out sign, none inside”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

The service was excellent.
The bread was excellent

But they had no whitefish. We went specifically for the whitefish. I saw they had a whitefish patty, and though "hmm I would like to try that"....but as soon as we put in our orders....we were told they were out of whitefish....so we asked for a minute.
I went to the salad bar and saw soup, and it looked like clam chowder. So I thought, well soup and salad is a good deal....and if that is homemade clam chowder...yum.
Well it wasn't homemade clam chowder....it was cream of mushroom, and cheeseburger.... both were very thick. My husband had a burger and it was ok. I don't even remember what the kids ate, it was ok.
As we were leaving I look over and a lady is eating what looks to be the whitefish pate (creamy dip with crackers)!!! IF I had KNOWN they had at least that, I would have been more than happy to have that. Once we sat down and put in our drink order I didn't want to leave.

Overall they just need better communication
notify people coming in that they are out of whitefish, or at least offer some kind of substitute. LIke I get you want to offer "fresh" whitefish. But on days your one and only supplier has no whitefish, can you make one special dish with frozen? I guess I can understand why not, but offer something to make up for it. Those poor waitresses had to repeat it over and over again.

LABEL YOUR SOUP! Seriously can't stress that one enough. At the salad bar area I heard SO MANY others say "it's clam chowder".

Oh and at the salad bar....the dressings should go at the end. NOT....NOT immediately after the lettuce. Everyone was dancing around one another putting lettuce...then toppings...then back to the dressing. It was frustrating

Visited August 2012
2 Thank DDK23
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
“Great fried pickles and whitefish bites”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Their fried pickles are spears (not slices), lightly breaded -- excellent! Whitefish bites appetizer was also lightly breaded and very fresh, pieces measuring about 2"x2". Will go out of our way for these next time!

We also tried the planked whitefish. Too mild for us. But it was perfectly cooked, very moist, and fresh. You just have to like bland flavoring.

Service was also excellent. We had an "older" server -- wish we'd gotten her name. Very helpful with all our questions about menu and area.

• Visited August 2012