“Good Food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hillside House Restaurant - CLOSED

Hillside House Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bloomington, Illinois
“Good Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

the Hillside House sits on an overlook where the lake and Mackinaw Island are in clear view. There is a wrap around deck with outdoor seating that makes the experience very pleasant! The fish and burgers are very good, as were the fries and onion rings. If you like non-chain locally owned restaurants, this one is for you!

Visited June 2013

Charlotte, Michigan
“Good food, interesting decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Ate here for dinner one evening and was pleasantly surprised by the food. The location of the restaurant is very cool, but I gotta say, the decor had us a little concerned. We were expecting a slightly more upscale look when we walked in, but I would call it more "shabby not-so-chic". Also, there's lots of religious references all over the place - in-your-face religion isn't really my thing, so it was a little off-putting. However, with all that said, the food was excellent. I had the whitefish salad, the greens were very fresh, the fish was well cooked, and the dressing was homemade and excellent. My dining partner had the spaghetti pie, and it was extremely flavorful. Prices are a little high for "family dining" (entrees are $10-15, kid's meals in the $5-6 range), but the quality really was excellent. I would definitely eat here again.

Visited July 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Ran out of food?!?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Only two staff working the tables - over worked - did not know what they were out of - had to come back twice to change our order, then it seemed to take forever to get it!

Visited July 2013
Midland, Michigan
“Excellent view and breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The view of the water from the Hillside House is amazing! The breakfast was excellent also. If you like French toast, the crunchy gourmet French toast is amazing.

• Visited July 2013
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
“3 yrs later we are still angry we ate here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

First off, I have never left a bad review anywhere but three years later, we are upset that this place is still open and want to help steer people clear so they can be saved an atrocious and expensive experience.

The food at this place was so horrific (and we are not fussy) that we simply could not eat it. The mashed potatoes still stand out in my mind three years later! Sticky, inedible, imitation potatoes. I had chicken that was so dry and rubbery it must have been in the microwave. I can't recall what my husband ate but it was hardly tolerable. He is a big guy, 6'4 and always cleans his plate...not so at this restaurant.

When the bill came we realized we'd been had. We try not to eat junk food but we sorely wished we'd found a Burger King as it was sounding like gourmet food by this time.

Worst of all, there were bible verses everywhere. Don't get me wrong, we love bible verses, but attached to this rip off place, they were deceptive and loathsome. All the time we spent in and around Mackinaw was lovely, save this one experience. And we hope to spare at least one soul from sharing in our sufferings!

• Visited August 2012