“Limitted Menu but Great Views”
Review of Hillside House Restaurant - CLOSED

Hillside House Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Set into the hill overlooking Lake Huron this restaurant is in a great location and withing walking distance from my motel.
However, the menu was somewhat limitted, for my taste, but the service was friendly and what I had was very good.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

this restaurant was across from our hotel so we could walk over every morning for breakfast. the food was very good and came with in minutes. the service was was great and friendly.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Nice location with a beautiful view. Can dine inside or out on the front deck. The raspberry fritter french toast was probably the best french toast I'd ever had. Husbands pancakes could have stayed on the griddle another minute or so. Clean and reasonably priced.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Well, I will start with the positive.
The location of this house/restaurant is excellent, up a big hill with view of the lake. We were seated immediately. The place was clean. The waitress was nice. ONE thing on the buffet was good and that was the bean soup.

That is all the nice things I can say.

Of our family of five, three of us order the all-you-can-eat fish buffet. My youngest two ordered fish and chips off the menu. 3 of us ordered water to drink and 2 had sodas.
The buffet was GROSS! The deep fried fish was waaay over cooked, the fish fillets were soggy, the hush puppies were blah. The fried clam were chewy. The salad part of the buffet had wilted lettuce. I could go on and on about how disappointing the buffet was but I won't. The kids who order the fish and chips said it was "ok". Everything tasted the same--like burnt, deep fried fish. I think it was time to change the oil.
BUT the real kick in the pants came when the bill arrived. With a tip our total was $80. $80 for a meal that left us all with upset stomachs.

1  Thank kryston
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Great service, family style dining (it's actually in a house)...we sat on outside deck. The food is homestyle and was good but most seemed overcooked. Have had better, have had worse. They have a fish fry on Friday nights...might be worth the try. Don't expect an alcoholic beverage, they don't serve any but the lemonade was great and the iced tea was "real" !