“It could have been almost perfect”

The Galley Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 42 Restaurants in Saint Ignace
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Rochester, mi
“It could have been almost perfect”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Almost everything was excellent: my whitefish, my wife's trout, our sides of sauteed mushrooms (fresh, not canned), and my wife's appetizer portion of whitefish livers!

The service, after a little gap at the beginning, was quick, friendly, courteous and attentive.

What wasn't excellent? One of the sides was a tossed salad. It was quite large and contained a decent mix of vegetables, but the lettuce was approximately 70 percent iceberg. One of my sides was sauteed green beans, wax beans and "baby" carrots. I think the beans were canned. If they had been fresh, the cook killed them. Upon request, my waitress quickly replaced this sad effort with a side of cole slaw.

• Visited June 2013

Pikeville, Kentucky, United States
“Love this restaurant!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The food is great and the price is right. They always have fresh catch of the day and breakfast is wonderful too. Service is awesome!

Visited July 2012
Powder Springs, Georgia
“Great - Must try!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Great fish! Fern was a great waitress! Lots of food almost too much! Great value! Nothing we didn't like.

Visited May 2013
Traveling
“Galley Restaurant St Ignace, Mich”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Decided to eat here after reading positive reviews.

Soft square rolls were brought to the table, which I found tasteless, rather like ones you can buy in a grocery store. The rolls are served warm, though. Not being from this area, yellow perch and walleye are new to me, so I ordered the grilled walleye, mushrooms and vegetables. My companion chose the fried perch, mashed potatoes and coleslaw. The first bite of the walleye tasted fishy, but I learned that was because I ate some of the skin which they keep on so it doesn't fall apart while grilling. Thought the rest was good, enjoyed the grilled mushrooms, but the baby carrots served with the string beans in my vegetable dish were hard to stab with my fork. My companion enjoyed his fried perch dinner.

The wait staff were very nice. I found the bathroom clean, but thought a change of stall doors would be
nice, as the lock didn't work and the doors themselves are short. I am 5'5" and when standing up could look right over the top.

We visited this restaurant May 11, 2013

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Christine G
Richmond, Virginia
“Waterside dining”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Food was great. But it was the staff that made it so pleasant. You could sit and dine in the back deck and watch all of the ferries come and go from the island

Visited August 2012