“Great place!”
Review of The Cedars Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint Ignace
The Cedars Motel
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Saint Ignace
“Great place!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on August 1st 2014 and found the Owners to be very friendly & accommodating. The room was clean, the bedding was clean, the towels were new and fluffy. The room had beautiful knotting pine wall, fireplace, frig, micro, newer tub & toilet. Very nice for the money!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank cjvtt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This is not a 5 Star Motel in terms of amenities or modern touches, but our experience was definitely worth a 5 star rating. If you are looking for a chain hotel, this is not it. If you want a friendly, charming, "down-home" experience, this is a great choice. The price is amazing, the rooms are clean, the owners are friendly & helpful, and sitting around the campfire eating s'mores is a perfect way to end the evenings.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Detroit
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here years ago so when I needed a place to stay in the area for this vacation, it was a no brainer. You couldn't ask for cleaner rooms or better hosts. Rooms are just spotless, breakfast is great, had s'mores at the bonfire, and a great price. So great I got two rooms. It's nice staying at owner operated motels and keeping my money off Wall Street. One room for the kids and one for us. There is a special feeling about being in the U.P. and staying here just adds to it!!! Keep up the great work.

Stayed July 2014
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

This visit was just as nice as the last time. Room was clean, comfortable and Kathy & Tim make you feel welcome. I met some really nice people (other customers) too! It was neat to talk to them by the bonfire.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Taylor, Michigan
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Cedars Motel and were more than pleased! Kathy and Tim go out of their way to make you feel very welcome. Very clean and has a cozy cabin feel! It was our first time in the UP and they gave us so many hints on where to go!! They didn't hesitate to sit down with you and have a cup of coffee or sit by the nightly bonfire and just relax. I LOVE THIS PLACE! We forgot our jackets there and they shipped them to us! Great people, great place, great vacation! The ONLY place I will stay in the UP! Thanks Kathy and Tim!! We will see you again, very soon!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank AHargis
Reviewed October 21, 2013

From far away, you don't know the hotels/motels in any area, and that is why TripAdvisor is so handy. Usually. "Ranked number 1 of 26" it says on this site. 57 reviews, no less.
The price wasn't bad, $49 I think, and the owners gave us coupons worth $10 each at the local Kewadin Casino. We would not have gone there without the coupons, however. So we won $13, and that knocked the price down some. And that was an "experience."
And yes, there is a campfire with supplies for S'mores. But to call this a 5 star motel makes one wonder who stayed here. Yes, the owners were nice. But...
1. It is a typical 1950s-1960s motorlodge. It probably has had new paint.
2. The floor in our room was uneven. I suspect termite damage.
3. The bathroom baseboard was peeling away and had been cleverly made of a thin baseboard that was meant to be glued directly to the wall instead glued to a spacer that held it a half-inch from the wall, with putty or caulk applied behind it.
4. The lack of electrical outlets was made up for by extension plugs enough to make any fire marshal shudder. But they did go to a small refrigerator in the room, and a microwave on top of it.
5. The shower had no light. Thank goodness the curtain was thin and let some light into the dinky area. No tub.
6. We went there on Sept 28th, 2013. While leaving the motel to get on the ferry, we drove by at least 10-15 hotels and motels, all in the same or cheaper price range, and all looking more modern. But they might not give out $10 coupons to the casino, and they aren't the closest one to it. This probably is. But if you want a lake view, or something closer to the ferries, go to Google earth and look along the street in downtown St. Ignace.... I snapped photos of some for future reference, and these included the K Royale, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Wayside Motel, Budget Host Inn, San-Bar Motel, and others. Among those I would bet on the Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn if you want what looks closest to a modern hotel. The rest look dated.
7. The walls were thin. Very thin.
8. The orange juice was turned to wine. Now granted, there was free cereal and the milk was fresh. And there were Danish buns in plastic. No fresh pancakes, no fresh waffles.
Where am I going with this? Well, I just have to say that I'd not rule out staying there again ever, but I'd know what I was going to get. Oh, and the cedar rooms? Ours was stuccoed over and painted. But I saw no bugs.
Why the title? The next night we stayed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. Both 5 stars.

Room Tip: If you want a real cedar room at the Cedars, you had better ask about that. I certify that I am not...