“dinner there”

Dining options: Reservations
Utica, Michigan
“dinner there”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We went to dinner there on 6-30-12. Its been about 10 yrs. since the last visit, which was a busy Saturday dinner date. When you go out expecting a decent meal and finding that about 4 tables were occupied, something is very wrong. We were greeted by very unprofessional hostess, who asked if we had reservations? are you kidding, I thought to my self. The young girl looked greasy, unclean with no basic uniform, and gaudy yellow fingernails. She explained the limited menu to us as she may have talked to her younger siblings. I could hear other dinner quests and the server say, we ran out of this or that. What do you have was the question ? My wife and another woman had a brief discussion. The couple said if you have a sense of humor, you will enjoy ,for what it was worth. This couple had been given an overnight package as a gift. The large black manager, asked that couple to leave, now, he gave them their money back for the room. He said they were disruptive to other customers. They were lead away without finishing dinner. I have never seen such a scene. We declined dinner, payed for our watery cola and wine. We went down the road to another place. The Inn/restaurant is in long term trouble. I am sorry to say, that we will not bother with this former gem. How sad!

11 Thank Bob S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Virginia
“Gordon Ramsey needs to pay this place a visit!”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

In a word...HORRIBLE! My family has been going to this place for over 50 years but this was our last visit. it first started when I called to make a reservation and the girl didn't even know if they had a father's day brunch. Turns out we didn't need reservations as no one goes there anymore and now I know why. The greeter at the hostess stand never said hello or smiled and then it turned out she was our waitress. We were her only table out of three total yet we had to ask several times for coffee and water refills. our food came fast but was downright awful. the French onion soup broth tasted like dish water. my entree was the st clair salad and the dressing is obviously store bought. it was terrible. It seems as if nothing is made from scratch here yet the entree prices are still about $20. my husband ordered a salad that was topped with grilled chicken...according to the menu. when it arrived it was deep fried in the same batter used to fry cod. nasty.

my poor father ordered the baby back ribs. when the waitress came to clear the plates she asked him if he would like to take it home since he left almost all of it on his plate. he politely declined. she then asked if something was wrong. he told her that the bbq sauce had a good flavor but that the ribs needed about 3 more hours of cooking before being served. She immediately got the manager and he offered to remove it from our bill which we thought was nice. sadly we still dropped $110 here and I feel like I've been robbed.

turns out this place is up for sale and it seems as if current owner has all but given up. this is such a beautiful restaurant and a riverfront landmark. Hopefully someone can bring this gem back.

5 Thank FutureMrsDoyle
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“St Clair Inn Needs a Remodel & Cleaning”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This place needs a thorough cleaning!! Its smells horrible and there was no service, had to get your own drinks

Visited March 2012
6 Thank Groovie C
Up North
“Not what it used to be... unfortunate :(”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We've celebrated anniversaries at the St Clair Inn sporadically over the years since 1973. In years past, it did a BOOMING business.. full up every weekend (reservations REQUIRED), Friday- Sunday with two bars doing business in the same building as well (with a band!). No longer... our recent visit was NOT memorable. Poor and SLOW table service, food quality lacking (I would expect potato-encrusted Walleye NOT to be wrapped in Hash-Browns!!), SLOW kitchen. My Chicken Marsala was reasonably priced as a 'special', but not much better than what I'd expect at a Coney Island. Glasses ran dry and stayed that way, requested Tartar sauce didn't arrive till much of the fish was cold. There were only 3 couples in the entire restaurant when we were there... only one waiter on staff.. only one cook in the kitchen (I know, I got up to look)... yet even the salad took over 40 minutes to arrive. I likely would have left if my wife had not had her heart set on going back to the scene of one of our 1st dates.

I thank the St Clair Inn for the past memories... but it's obvious this historic Hotel/Restaurant is now in DIRE straits. The structure itself, inside and out, is in need of extensive maintainence that's obviously being put off or simply ignored. Roof leaks, dry-rotted window frames, fogged-up thermal windows and closed rooms seem to be the order of the day.

The old Carriage House bar is now used for table linen storage and is in disarray.. The Chart House bar is still open (did not visit).. no bands. Much of the main restaurant's dining areas are now closed or no longer used. Is it any wonder, when the 7pm Friday night dinner 'crowd' consists of only 3 couples... and service is STILL poor?? I kind'a doubt they still do outside dining in summer like they used to, when they can't even partially fill the main dining room. That was awesome, as ships literally pass close enough to 'feel' them. What used to serve as one dining area is now full of linen-dressed plywood folding tables, rental hall stuff, seating 10 at a table.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure money will fix the St Clair Inn at this point... and there sure doesn't seem to be a lot walking in the front door either. (It'll take a miracle to turn that around!!) I'd have to say dinner probably would've been better at ANY of the OTHER restaurants in St Clair.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Capn_Crunch_8
“Hum... What great potential for a good place. Be they blew it”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Went for Easter Brunch. They had meger selection & they server POWDERED EGGS!!!! OMG!!!! Had hard french toast. Could not order a mimosa. Other selection was cold potatoes, Hash??? The place was empty, I WONDER WHY? this should speak for itself. Go to the river crab up the street.

1 Thank SurgeonMike