“Solid Location, if a bit Pricey”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Saginaw
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Saginaw
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Like Dgreene99, I also am a full service Marriott user, and stayed here due to the Residence Inn being full. I thought the property upkeep was good. It was slightly dated, but everything was clean, and there was no sense of 'dingieness' you see in some hotels. Service was outstanding. From the front desk to the manager going around to tables at breakfast asking about stay satisfcation, this is obviously a management team that cares and trains its employees well.
Breakfast is the usual fare you see at this level of hotel. Oatmeal in packets, cereal, toast, etc. If you're looking for a hot meal, with eggs, bacon, etc., this is not the place. My room was well cleaned and did not look dated. The refridgerator was very cold, something you don't often see at some places. TV was a flat screen with a wide channel choice. Internet was free and an easy wireless connection with enough bandwith to handle most tasks. There are a lot of postives with this hotel. There is no restaurant onsite, but the hotel is located squarely in a retail district so your choices are everything from burger joints to sushi places to high end dining. All are close. There are two restaurants that deliver, the ubitquitous pizza place, as well as a chinese restaurant.
A few negatives: Ice machine is on the first floor only. If you're on the third floor you'll have to take the stairs or an achingly slow elevator. Price seemed high to me. I did book at the last minute, so it was a rack rate, but as a Marriott reward member I thought I could get a better price than what I obtained.

Room Tip: If you use a lot of ice, get a room near the elevator, as you'll be schlepping up and down a lot...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Note that I am generally a full service Marriott patron and not this type hotel, so keep that in mind... this property seems to have been here a while... not old, but doesn't seem to be kept up that well... no closed closet, nothing much for breakfast... the people were great and helpful finding a restaurant close by that was local and good... so

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
SaginawFF_GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Saginaw, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

We are excited to announce next year our property will be converted into a Fairfield Inn & Suites; this will included extended breakfast, workout center, business center, and a market for our guests.

I will share your views and comments with my staff to assure that we all learn from your information. I was very pleased to hear that the service you received was top notch.

We hope with our continued efforts to improve, you will keep the Saginaw Fairfield in mind the next time you stay in the area.

Robert E. Kolomak, CHS

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I happened to be in Town for Thanksgiving and my Grandson mentioned the last time he went swimming had been with Me, last July while in Florida. Well I couldn't allow that! We rented a room for a night on short notice. It was beautiful! We played in the pool for hours! (they also have a Hot tub and nice tables to set and read). We walked next store to Big Lots and found some gogles! Many reasturants were close by, in several price ranges. The Mall right there, you could see it! The Fairfield staff were so friendly and bent over back words to help (not that we needed anything it was all there) Even the cleaning ladies were friendly wishing us a wonderful evening and a happy Thanksgiving!! In the morning we had a wonderful breakfast in the lobby, news paper to read and news on the TV very nice! very enjoyable stay

Room Tip: The pool does Not have a deep end alittle dissapointing
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Marriott Hotels are all over, & Saginaw is no exception. There are 3 right next to each other. Fairfield which is lowest in price, & two other pricier & more upscale. We chose Fairfield this time because we'd earned enough points to stay free.
They've undergone a complete 'soft' renovation (as opposed to 'hard' where they take out walls & the rest) & changed their breakfast buffet. Still tasty. Folks at the desk are still just as nice.
The 'hospital' rate for folks going to one of the hospitals/facilities in the area has gone up unfortunately. Tight budgets won't be able to use it.
It's within walking distance of many big stores... on the other hand, better drive so you won't have to kill your back trying to haul all the stuff you bought back.
Clean, has pool & hot tub, nice amenities & pleasant people to assist you. Doesn't get much better than that...

Room Tip: All rooms are fine, I'd opt for one far from the elevator or ice machine. But weekends are more...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Group of 6 travelling for a 3 night stay. Loved the location of this hotel close to mall with Macy's, JC Penney, Sears . Target right across the street and restaurants within walking distance. Showed our room key and saved 10% at Harvey's Bar and Grill. Pool and jacuzzi area clean and bright . Rooms typical Farifield decor. Breakfast was the normal hotel fair and very adequate. 25 minutes drive to either Frankenmuth or Birch Run Outlet Mall. Would suggest trying to schedule your breakfast when you think that the bus groups will not be there to avoid waits. 2 buses of shopping ladies so we timed breakfast at 9:15 since their buses were leaving at 9:30 to go to the outlet mall or Frankenmuth. Front desk staff extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2012

There is not a category below that lists medical care as a type of trip. I guess I will consider it as a business trip. I have greatly appreciated the Hospital Rate Fairfield Inn has provided. I have traveled to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas 7 times since my lymphoma diagnosis in February, 2011. Corporate Angel Network helped us find transportation for our last 5 visits.

My husband drives us to the hotel which is about 2 1/2 hours from home. We arrive the evening before our flight. We then leave around 4:30 am the next morning to arrive at the airport by 5:00 am. We do not use the pool, business center or exercise room. Breakfast is not available that early but if we ask, the night staff will bring something out for us. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the room is spotless. I feel very comfortable coming back to the same place. With my cancer, the question is not IF it has come back but rather WHEN it comes back so each trip is frightening. We must return every 2 to 4 months.

I made arrangements for our September stay in July. I was informed the price for the hospital rate had increased $5.00 which I understood. It was still very helpful. At check-in last week we were informed that the rate has increased an additional $20.00. I was very disappointed that the cost has increased $25.00 increase within a month or two. I have told many friends and family how kind people at this hotel are.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Quality service along with a "bright cheery decor and atmosphere" equal an especially enjoyable stay. My wife and I stayed here using our Marriott Reward points and couldn't have been happier with our choice. Both the evening and morning front desk staff were very welcoming and genuinely concerned about the quality of our stay. The room was very clean. The included breakfast offered a myriad of warm and cold choices. Our niece and her husband who traveled with us really enjoyed the nice indoor pool with their two children. The beds were very comfortable. The location offers a number of dining opportunities, i.e. the Bob Evans located right next door, and there is a Starbucks across the main street from the hotel. This hotel also has easy access to the freeway.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple