“Not what were used to from this hotel”

Residence Inn by Marriott Saginaw
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Saginaw
“Not what were used to from this hotel”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Definitely disappointed in our stay here this year. Where do I start, fourth year coming here on thanksgiving weekend so wife and daughter can shop while I hunt. Normally an outstanding hotel, this year not so much. First day we checked in went to room unpacked wanted to sit down and watch the tv, but no remote in room, after getting a remote from front desk went to sit down in easy chair in room and chair broken felt like I was sitting on the floor, called the front desk they did replace chair. Next day after my wife took a shower, she went to use the hair dryer and it started smoking so bad had to leave room and filled hallway with burned electric smell. That's not the end yet, went to use hot tub and hard to believe in Michigan in November but there were ants in pool area TONS of them. Ok not the end yet , went to play pool and pool table looks horrible spilled drink stains all over the felt, sticks were horrible as well. Last but not least we are elite members with Marriott and one of our requests in profile for making reservations is foam pillows and extra of them, needless to say we did not have them and then pillows were awful in the room. Other than that good location for the black Friday shopping for my family and for me to go hunting.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Chefdaddy2472

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is one of best residence inns I have visited recently. The staff at check in and breakfast were very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were nicely appointed and the entire hotel looked and felt clean. Great night sleep! Thanks!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I enjoyed the stay at this hotel and the staff is very friendly. The breakfast was decent and there was plenty of food. My only complaint was the pillows. They were rather flat and uncomfortable and staff was advised of this. These pillows felt like the cheaper crumbled foam type of pillow and i have slept on better pillows at hotels of equal rating. But overall,I did enjoy my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Very clean and bright but the beds are very uncomfortable and the sheets do not fit well. We complained and got better sheets and the mattress was changed, but it was still uncomfortable. The mattress seemed old fashioned and thinner than most new mattresses...Otherwise, the hotel was nice and the staff very friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I got a two bedroom suite for my friend's bachelorette party on a Saturday night. We were amazed at how the room was stocked with real plates, silverware, glasses, even a strainer and cutting board! Also, there was a dishwasher and they even left dish soap and diswasher detergent under the sink. It seems that every detail was thought of! I called down to the front desk to see if they had DVD players available for rent and they lent us one free of charge. The girl at the front desk was very pleasant and helpful. The room was a great space with two bedrooms, each with their own TV, two bathrooms, a full kitchen and a living area. We had more than ten people in the room at times and it did not feel cramped even with several girls trying to get ready at once. The beds were very comfortable and everything was perfectly clean. I absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone that has a group that needs a little extra space for their getaway!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We opened the door of our two bedroom room and were very satisfied that we made the right choice. The room was perfect for the 4 of us. Room had a full kitchen and 2 baths. After driving we were more than happy to settle in for the night. We also made use of the pool which is smallish but adequate. Breakfast is above average with quite a few hot and cold selections including waffles. Front desk staff responded quickly when we needed extra sheets. Beds were comfortable and I slept well. The one improvement I would make is to have someone staffing the front desk. They tend to sit in the back room. This isn't a huge deal but I'm always used to seeing staff at the front desk. All in all the stay was excellent. Room was clean and sleep was good. That is all I want from a hotel. A quiet sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2013

So I've been staying here off and on for the past two years (when I feel like I need a kitchen to cook for those long work assignments), and its been good for me so far, but there are some annoyances.

The Bad:

1. They charge $5 total per load which includes: washer and dryer and for each packet of detergent + fabric softener. (The hotel across the street provides this all for free).

2. The furniture is outdated. Just feels old. The sofa in my room has a stain on it... kinda looks like a dog peed on it or someone dropped a drink.

3. The people at the front desk, are sometimes in the back room chatting and folding linens and I had to wait several minutes each time for anyone to appear up front.

The Good:

1. Good service, most of the time.

2. The Manager is awesome. She will ask you what kind of food you like to eat, and then makes fresh dinner 2-3 times a week for free. Not to mention she is super sweet and caring.

3. Kitchen included (hence a Residence Inn).

4. Cleaning Crew washes your dishes daily! wow!

5. Full dinnerware and silverware as well as cookware. No need to buy any spoons, dishes, pots or cooking utensils.

Room Tip: If you want a larger 2 bedroom which is quiet, always choose the 2nd or 3rd floor corner rooms endin...