“Consistently good sushi for over 15 years” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 272 Restaurants in Saginaw
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Saginaw, Michigan
“Consistently good sushi for over 15 years”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

My spouse and I have gone here regularly since it opened. And we've taken guests here. We've eaten sushi in London, NY, Vancouver, Toronto, Detroit, and Ann Arbor. We are pleased to report that their sushi is consistently good. The miso soup and salads are competent: we've had better in Vail at Nozawa.

The service can be fluky at Hello Sushi due to language barriers. They seem to support a steady stream of family as waiters and bus boys, so speak in simpler terms, not idiomatic American English. They've never been anything other than attentive, and the food is always good. The rolls are a lot of fun.

The setting is one block from the major Saginaw mall. Good for folks in the area staying at the many business hotel chains nearby. They do a very good job with bento boxes, which are filling enough to make 2 meals, so get it as take-out if you're burned out after a long day, and stash half in your room's fridge for the next night.

• Visited March 2014

Saginaw, Michigan
“Great place for a date”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

The food is terrific. Best sashimi in town. Went with my boyfriend for a nice late lunch. The atmosphere was great. The food was fantastic and delivered in plenty of time for me to get back to work in my allotted 45 minutes.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, United States
“Good food, average pricing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I ordered four rolls. They were all very good, and I will say they had some unique offerings on the roll menu. That being said, it was 50 dollars out the door. So it fills a need in this area for good sushi, but I could get almost as good at Meijer's or other supermarkets for much less money.

• Visited February 2014
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rude hostess/waitress and overcharged my credit card”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was recently in Saginaw for business. Not ever being there before, I looked up local restaurants to see where to go. The reviews for Hello Sushi were so good, I thought it was a no brainer. Upon arrival, I asked the hostess/waitress (I believe she may be an owner) to sit at the sushi bar. As loud as she could, she asked, "Alone?" Why yes, I am here on business. She acted like this was a crime. So much that another patron commented on how rude that was. The meal itself was average at best, however I am quite the sushi connoisseur so not surprising for Saginaw, MI. When I left, the sushi chef came running out with my bill. Apparently I had taken the copy I signed instead of the customer copy. I apologized and told him I was happy he caught me. A few weeks later, this morning, I notice that they overcharged my credit card. The bill was $30.42. I gave them a $6 tip even though I really don't think they deserved 20%. Today I find a charge from Hello Sushi on my credit card for $39.00. So apparently they thought they deserved a 30% tip. Granted, this is just a few bucks. Not even enough to waste my time calling them and trying to get a refund. However, I do think it warrants me taking the time to let people know that apparently Hello Sushi is not the place for out of town business people.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Chgonative312
Royal Oak, Michigan
“How did they end up in Saginaw”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

A great little sushi and sushimi place tucked in among strip malls in the commercial strip of a small Midwestern town. Great variety, well prepared with what appear to be fresh ingredients. (Interesting considering their location.) Good beer list, including imports from Japan. Reasonably priced.

• Visited October 2013