“Awesome!!!”

Sushi 'N
Ranked #17 of 277 Restaurants in Saginaw
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Great prices! A lot of food for the price. Quality of sushi is amazing! I would highly recommend this place.

1  Thank Ccrking

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was so excited to see sushi come so close to my home. I was blown away by Sushi N'. The sushi is very fresh, and the owners are lovely. I recommend to all sushi lovers!

1  Thank FoodLover124
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We are long-time residents of Saginaw County, MI and have always enjoyed the only other decent places for sushi in Saginaw (Hello Sushi and Genji). Wife and I have enjoyed sushi in many major metro areas of the US, as well as in the South Pacific. When we learned that one of our favorite sushi chefs from Hello Sushi had decided to open his own restaurtant across town (Shields, MI), we hoped it would provide a refreshing cahnge of pace, not just another ho-hum option. Our first visit to Sushi 'N was on a Monday evening, with our two teens in tow (one loves sushi, the other won't touch it, but she's a foodie and was curious to see what else they offered), and we arrived with high expectations.

Let me say this right up front: the quality, freshness, presentation, and flavors of the food we enjoyed at Sushi 'N will definitely have us coming back, and sending our friends! Don't be fooled by the unassuming setting, located in a small strip of businesses (mostly empty), with simple decor and limited seating - the focus here is on the food. From the brightly colored placemats filled with mouth-watering pics of several of the special rolls offered, to the detailed selections that invite you to build your own sushi creation, to the popular open kitchen permitting a view of the artists at work, this place takes sushi to another level for our area... and despite its modest size, rivals some of the more popular sushi spots we've visited over the years. Be aware though, no kiddie menu here - this is for serious sushi lovers only.

We ordered a variety of special rolls, most featuring tuna, salmon, and shrimp in various combinations, showcasing a mix of designs and flavor touches. Even our daughter found a dish to her liking, the day's special of tempura shrimp over a bed of seasoned rice. The presentation of our mixed roll platter was superb, and whetted our appetite even further - an impressive splash of color and textures, shapes and sauces. But what impressed us the most, and has convinced us this is our #1 local sushi destination, was the obvious quality, freshness and delectible flavors of each piece we savored. The tuna and salmon - and even the shrimp (which should be a no-brainer, but are often ruined in other shops) - were among the best we've had anywhere, perfectly firm and proportioned, without a trace of stale fishiness or telltale loss of texture. The rice was perfectly prepared, with just the right degree of stickiness, and the wraps were equally fresh and tender to the bite (ever tried to gnaw through one that wasn't, without deconstructing your roll in the process?).

Although the meal value is average, with the menu pricing about what you would expect for sushi of this quality and in this locale (at $10-13 for most of the special rolls), the sheer quality of the taste experience makes it worth every penny... try them and see for yourself. Be sure to take time to chat it up with the delightful owner and staff, as they are still finding their feet here and welcome your feedback.

We hope Sushi 'N finds a following that allows it to thrive in our area... although we'll regret it when we have to fight the crowds!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

When I saw that a sushi restaurant was going into a building in Shields that had bad luck and keeping tenants, I was a little leery. But my curiosity and love for sushi pushed out any doubts that crossed my mind.

Thank goodness I tried it. This is probably the best sushi I have ever had in Michigan. It is so super fresh and tasty. It is very well presented and is pretty well priced, as far as sushi goes. The owners are so lovely. At first, you could tell that they were very nervous about there new business venture, but after a few months and many busy Friday nights, they are old pros, and are always so excited to see return customers.

Make sure to try the Tuna Lover!