“Peaceful place to watch wildlife”

Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge
Ranked #3 of 29 things to do in Saginaw
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Peaceful, great place to watch Deer, Birds etc. walking paths on dry ground. Auto drive open at certain times of year.

2  Thank SherinSaginaw

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Coming soon to the spring opener, geese, swans, ducks and other migritory birds by the thousands. If you enjoy birding you can't miss spring at Shiawassee Flats!

2  Thank LJB049
Reviewed February 13, 2013

It is hard to believe this amazing natural area is so close to Saginaw, MI.
Not far from Frankenmuth so people travelling that way could add this stop to their visit also. Plan 1 or more hours depending on traffic and how much time you want to spend enjoying nature. Auto tour follows dikes and offers opportunity so see several habitats. There are places to pull out for better viewing and so traffic can pass. Trails are available for those who perfer to walk. Each trip is a unique adventure. I always see something different each trip. On my last trip, I saw Sand Hill Cranes. Even though I live in the area I discovered this area several years ago, until recently it has been a well kept secret- a National Wildlife Refuge in our own backyard.

3  Thank Navigator48614
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We did the 7.5 mile self-guided auto route. I have never seen an auto route at a Wildlife Refuge, what a great idea for those who can not walk the trails or just for something different. We saw turkey, sand cranes, geese and more. The scenery is beautiful and the road very well done to be higher up for views of the many birds. Make sure to drive slow, I believe the recommendation is 10 miles an hour, since it is a wildlife refuge anything can pop out, we had frogs and a woodchuck run or hop as it was, in front of our car. Since we drove slow all was good. Look up down, in the trees, everywhere there is something to see.

5  Thank BT105