“Great food but there is a hitch.”

Willow Tree Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 274 Restaurants in Saginaw
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food but there is a hitch.”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

My wife and myself had frequented this restaurant, for the food and the service is rather good, that is until the head chef decided to make himself known by starting a rather loud argument with the host, talking to our waitress we found out that this is a regular occurance and she and other members of the waitstaff begged us to fill out a comment card as they go straight to corporate, and we could not complain to the manager because the head chef who was causing the problem in the first place is also the general manager. Sadly we will not be returning.

1 Thank bjmicha3

Saginaw MI
“Best fine dining experience in the area”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Lunch and dinner are equally pleasurable and delicious experiences. Quiet elegance and sophisticated, upscale ambiance defies what I expected in a shopping mall restaurant. Despite it's pricey menu selections, my Greek salads, goat cheese salad and seafood entrees were gourmet presentations and worth the splurge. Servers are professional and attentive. AAAAAAAA+++++++++. Highly recommend for business meetings, friend get togethers or romantic dinner.

• Visited December 2011
MICHIGAN
“Good but not Great”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We went to lunch for my birthday. I have heard a lot of good things about this restaurant and wanted to check it out for myself.

Decor - The facility is nice. It's not too fancy and for being inside a mall it was pleasant. One thing we did not like was the fact that they had paper on top of their nice linen tablecloths. That is the kind of thing you expect in a chain restaurant where the wait staff comes up and writes their name on the table so you don't forget. One other note, as stated by another reviewer, the music was definitely too loud. We asked that it get turned down and the waitress said she wasn't sure that was possible.

Service - We went early for lunch due to time constraints. There was no one else in the restaurant when we arrived. The host was not very friendly. He seemed busy. The waitress was very nice and very knowledgable but kind of slow with the service. Again, because it was early and not busy, I expected a little better. She did suggest certain entrees which I also appreciate.

Food - The soups were very, very good. My mom loved her lobster bisque. My son's french onion soup is probably the best I have ever had. We eat out a lot, and not at chain restaurants so I have had a lot to compare to. The bread they bring to the table looked amazing. I did not have any, but my son and mother loved it. My son and I ordered sandwhiches (French Dip and Turkey/Bacon). The turkey/bacon sandwhich was quite dry. The frend dip was just ok. My mom ordered the London Broil in which it was cooked very well and a nice plate. The sauce was a bit overwhelming but overall it was good. My boyfriend ordered the lobster pot pie. He said it was good but it could have been any type of meat in it. Meaning that if it's going to be a lobster pot pie you should taste lobster. Their menu is extensive. Their salads sound delicious and they have six or seven daily specials.

Overall - I will say that I am curious to try this restaurant again. The prices were very good for lunch. I've heard it's a bit more expensive for dinnner but if the food and service are good, I'm willing to pay more for it.

• Visited January 2012
Saginaw, Michigan
“Saginaw's Best”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We dined here for the third time the other night...Don't be fooled by their mall location. This is not a 'mall' restaurant.

This is a place for those that appreciate GOOD food and don't mind paying for it. The portions are more than adequate (I see everyone taking stuff home, ourselves included), the service is very good, and they offer things you can't get anywhere else in Saginaw. I've never seen Wagyu (Kobe) beef on a menu in this area before--it was a special, and while I didn't have it, it sounded wonderful.

Their lobster bisque is pretty good, and seems like a bargain at $5 for a HUGE bowl. Could use a little more cognac--it doesn't quite have the 'bite' that I'm accustomed to with bisques, but is still very good, nice chunks of lobster to boot.

Their seared ahi tuna (available as an entree and appetizer) is really good. I've had it twice there now. Good quality tuna, seared to perfection and a nice-sized steak. My wife had the exact same thing.

Their entrees are pricey...But seems as if the appetizers, soups and salads are quite affordable. We've never had dessert--with good portions and always beginning with a soup or salad, we're way too full...But the dessert tray looks amazing.

I'm really pulling for this place to make it. Saginaw needs a fine dining restaurant...It's a shame that the only places that flourish are buffets and place like Tony's where it's all about quantity, quantity, quantity and not the food. This place IS about the food (and the service). Great for a special occasion or just a night out if you're looking for something beyond the Olive Gardens, Red Lobsters and other crappy chains of Saginaw that surround this place.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank MichWorldTraveler
Saginaw, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not the average-finally a classy restaurant that knows real food!!”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Great food prepared perfect!! Service is excellent. This was our 5th visit and because we love everything on their menu we never walk out without a bill less than $100 and that is no drinks. If you like steak and potatoes this isn't your type of restaurant-this restaurant is for people that love fine foods!!

• Visited December 2011