“Even the bedbugs won't stay there”

Red Roof Inn Saginaw - Frankenmuth
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Saginaw
Reviewed June 13, 2011

First, the good. The door had a lock. I could park right by my door.

Maybe I got put in the building that needed remodeling, but this was just a bad experience. I arrived about 9 pm, and had to talk to the clerk through the bulletproof glass, sliding pens and paperwork through the little slot. I can understand that the hotel management wants their clerks to feel safe, but she acted like I was a bank robber (I'm not.).

A previous reviewer said the room should have been remodeled 5 years ago. Maybe... maybe longer. It needed a fresh coat of primer and paint, and new furniture and a new bedspread. The remote to the tv had popped open, revealing the batteries. I thought that was odd, until I found that to work the remote, you had to hold the batteries in, and aim it at the tv. If you wanted to go ahead one channel, you held the batteries and aimed it at the tv for about a second. If you wanted to cruise through a couple of channels, you aimed the remote for a bit longer. Buuuut, if you went too far, you had to spin all the way through all the numbers again--no pressing 7 and going directly to channel 7, and no back button. It was an entertaining game, since I couldn't really explore the channels to see what was on. I didn't want to call the desk and ask about a new remote, as the lady was already convinced I was about to attack her, or rob her, or something. Since the bedspread looked pretty gross, I sat at the desk, which looked like an old library carrel, complete with a weird outlet strip. The bathroom needed either deep cleaning or paint, or both. In all, this was depressing and a little scary. This was way below the usual standards of a Motel 6. More like a Motel 2 or 3.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Shenendoah

Reviewed June 9, 2011

The staff was helpful and accomadating.
The area made us nervous, but overall seemed fairly safe.
We had a large redish/brown stain on the matress. (It basically looked like someone had been killed in the bed.) Thankfully when we expressed our dissatisfaction to the manager they replaced the bed with another one. They stated it was a "red pop" stain, but I've seen those before and it didn't not seem like the right color.
I will only stay here again if there are no other options!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We arrived late in the evening - too late to find another hotel! We have never stayed in a Motel 6 as grungy as this one. There were dead bugs on the hotel lobby floor and outside the lobby door. Our room seemed clean enough but the bathroom was in need of an update about 5 years ago. Rusted bathtub, flooring not kept well. We did not use the bathtub or shower because of this. The pillows were flat and didn't make for a very good sleep. It is located right near the highway and was convenient, but this was truly a case of you get what you pay for. I would still recommend the Motel 6 brand to my friends, just not this location. We definitely would stay at another hotel if we went through Saginaw again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2008

We are taking a 4000 mile motorcyle trip from Pennsylvania, and this was our first hotel stop. The place was basic, clean, and adequate for a nights stay. Bathroom and sheets were clean, beds were comfortable, and the only noise we had came from a guest who couldn't take the time to walk up the stairs to speak to his friend early in the evening. We only paid $51 with tax, and felt this was a great value. The motel is located close to the interstate, so we could get on our way first thing in the morning. The only downside was we had to travel several miles to find a place for dinner....ended up at a Cracker Barrel one exit south on the highway.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NancyWD819
Reviewed September 30, 2007

I was apprehensive after reviewing this hotel on this site, but, after my stay, I was more than happy.

Yes, the neighborjood is run down, especially the empty mall across the street, but, this renovated ex-Red Roof is in good shape, is well lit, and is a great value. I paid less than $35 including tax.

If you're doing the Frankenmuth thing you'll probably be disappointed. But if you want a clean, safe, place at a great price this is your best bet in this area.

They are back from the road, are fenced, and a guard was on site patroling the parking area at night. The guests drove a collection of Escalades, LaCrosses, Yukons, and other late model higher priced vehicles.

Yes the door says to bolt the door - as it does at every Motel 6 and at any responsible hotel. Get past the feeling of fear and enjoy a great value.

The Taco Bell is new and very nice, the McD's good for breakfast. The M6 is much nicer than the BW, Super 7, and the former Roadway Inn next door.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SenseIntoDollars
Reviewed December 24, 2006

Before booking at this motel we read the one review posted and thought, as long as it's clean we'll try it. It was cheap and we wanted something affordable so we could do some shopping at the outlet mall. When we got off the highway we right away thought it seemed quite desolate and rough. The motel looked decent from the outside so we thought why not give it a go. The room itself was very worn (old carpet, holes in the sheets) and smelled strongly of air freshener, but we checked the sheets and they were clean and there weren't any obvious signs of dirtiness so we decided to leave our stuff and go out shopping in Birch Run. As a side note there was a sign by the door saying "For your protection lock and bolt door". We stopped in at Guest Services at the outlet mall to get some area information and because my husband had a bad feeling about the motel and the area it was in in Saginaw he asked at the desk about it. The lady right away said it was not a safe area, but that we'd likely be okay if we kept our door locked. She also said because it was cold and rainy weather that increased the chances of our being safe, but also said we'd be better off switching hotels. This did not sit well with us at all and we decided to go get our things and find a different place to stay. We ended up on Tittabawassee St. in Saginaw off the 675 at the Four Points Sheraton- we highly recommend it! Very reasonable price, extremely clean and comfortable. For your safety we recommend NOT staying at the Motel 6 in Saginaw.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank TravnBean
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Well if your going to Frankenmuth or Birch Run and don't want to spend the money on a hotel or motel then Motel 6 in Saginaw is for you. We enjoyed the great staff and the well kept room. Its only 15 minutes from Frankenmuth and Birch Run and right next to the expressway. The only thing bad that I can say is the mist style of shower they have in the rooms. The free ice from the ice machine came in very handy for our cooler. We enjoyed our stay and Motel 6 had a great price and location. And our price was 49 dollars a night tax included in that price. Our vacation was great and so was our stay at Motel 6, and we look forward to staying there again soon.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple