“Cheery decor, friendly staff”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Saginaw
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Saginaw
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here recently on a trip to Frankenmuth, MI. We didn't want to stay right within the tourist hub so opted for something a little further away. We made a great choice as this hotel is only about 10 - 15 min drive from Frankenmuth. The decor is bright and cheery... I very much enjoyed the retro look. The staff were fantastic... very friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is great if you are a shopper!! Breakfast was a pleasant surprise... hot eggs, sausage, bacon and waffles along with your standard fare of toast, cereal and yogurt. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Room
Lets see - the first thing that hits you is the retro design (especially in the front lobby), which was nice for a change. This design also made the rooms look bright and almost cheery. The design also broke up the washroom into two sections; one with a sink and a shower, and the other with a sink and a toilet. This had it's advantages and disadvantages. Most good though. Our room was also clean, both in look and smell.
The bed was also comfortable and well provided for, but we asked for a King sized bed and this one seemed sorta small... almost like a Queen. We're from Canada so maybe our Kings are just bigger...

Hotel common areas
They also have this fire pit outside with chairs around it (which was neat), and the lobby was open and well laid out. We didn't get to trying the pool or whirlpool but they looked ok.

Staff
The staff were very friendly and helpful, which we will remember.

When you think of `continental breakfast', you think of a stale muffin and a small coffee. This hotel actually put out a decent breakfast with eggs, bacon/sausages, cereals, muffins, coffees, teas and even a do-it-yourself waffle. Really a good breakfast - best I have ever seen included with a budget hotel.

Location
As for location, this hotel is located in the middle of a huge shopping district, with large plazas and brand-name stores everywhere. It looks somewhat stretched out and expanded, but is actually pretty good. A theatre is just around the corner and many different restaurants.

Negatives
One negative was trying to switch our room - since we bought with Expedia they weren't able to switch us to a different type of room - ie king to double queen - without cancelling with Expedia first. So its a process issue.

Summary
Overall - we really liked it - I am generally not into the retro look but I liked this place. Place was clean, people were nice, location was good, and breakfasts were good. I give it a 5/5.

Room Tip: Most rooms are about the same - they have a common fire pit area out front which could possibly get...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ranger-Reeko
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My father, mom, and have stayed in the SpringHill Suites Saginaw many times. It's a great hotel, with a great staff to go along with it. Their staff are very friendly and great you right as you walk into the main doors. They are also very helpful. The rooms are also kept up very nicely, the separate bathrooms are very nice and are great if you are traveling with a family. The hotel is mostly for business people, as usually at breakfast there is no one there. The pool & gym is very nice, but the pool is rather small but very nice if you are the only one in it with your family. There is also a great breakfast that I for one thought was awesome. Overall, this is a great hotel and if you have a chance to stay at it when you are in Saginaw, I advise you to do so.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevator are usually the most easier to have access to the elevator. The ice machines...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I've stayed here at least four or five times since it first opened and it's always been a great experience. My review will focus on my most recent stay.

Upon arrival, I was greeted by friendly staff who checked me in promptly. As I was meeting family at the hotel, they had made an effort to keep our rooms close together. Wifi was abundant with multiple access points throughout the hotel. There is coffee and tea available in the lobby throughout the day. Decor is fairly modern.

While the room is considered a "suite", it's better to think of it as a slightly larger than average room. The toilet and shower are in separate parts of the room, but does serve a practical purpose. There is a fridge and microwave in the room, along with a comfortable couch, flat screen TV and clock radio with iPod dock. Overall, the room was clean and very spacious.

Breakfast is included and is the fairly standard continental breakfast that most hotels in the area provide, with scrambled eggs, sausage, breads, fruits, oatmeal, waffles, yogurt and juice. The food is generally good, and the dining area is usually not particularly crowded.

If I were to cite some negatives, the comfort of the beds is only average, noise from the hallway can be heard sometimes and selection of food at breakfast is only average. Again, I do not consider these real problems, as they were no worse than most other places I stayed at, but simply areas where the hotel could improve.

I have stayed at numerous hotels at Saginaw and usually end up returning to this hotel whenever I can. The hard work of staff and management to make this hotel enjoyable really shows.

Room Tip: If you need more closet space, get a queen suite rather than a king suite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Beautiful room and comfortable beds. Our 2-queen suite was very spacious and spotless. Even though 2 young hockey teams were staying in the hotel, we never heard a thing in our room. The staff thought we were part of the hockey team and gave us list of rules for teams at check-in...the rules are extensive so don't worry about teams ruining your stay! Breakfast was very good and the dining area was quite large compared to other hotels. The only downfall is the teeny, tiny pool. The staff were fabulous. One front desk staff member offered to take my daughter and I to her favourite shopping mall. The hotel is at a great location in Saginaw if you've come to shop and just off the interstate. We booked our room through the Saginaw Spirit website and got a fantastic deal on the room as well as 4 free tickets for each home game during our stay!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: We always book a room on the top floor, therefore, no one is running on top of your head.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Loved staying here. The rooms are like something out of StarTrek!! Awesome. Everything seemed new and clean. Our King room had a nice desk and sitting area. Roomy. The lobby design was out of this world. Wonderful breakfast.

My husband loved it!

I would not take a family for the pool is so tiny.

Room Tip: They will ask for your AAA card at check in!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Absolutely wonderful stay. The staff was great; friendly and helpful and always pleasant to talk with. New hotel and very modern decor. Rooms were great, beds were very comfortable and everything was very clean and looked as if it was brand new. Breakfast was very good with lots of room to sit. Excellent location to many stores and restaurants. I found no faults at all with anything except the cold weather. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family