“Great facility...insulting customer service.”

SpringHill Suites Saginaw
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Saginaw
Cincinnati, OH
“Great facility...insulting customer service.”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Two nights stay. First night was quiet, but Saturday night I heard (and saw) teenagers running up and down the hall, yammering, laughing, etc. The final straw was when I could hear the people in the next room moving the furniture, and slamming something against the wall, with a loud thud. The whole building shook. I went down to inform the clerk that there were some guests destroying one of his rooms, and the clerk (Rob?) replied "Well, that's because I just checked a soccer team into that room!" No apology. No thanks "for bringing it to our attention." No "I'll handle it right away." He acted like I was bothering him.
I went to dinner, and had a half hour to stew about his non-caring attitude. I wasn't going to say anything. I'm not a complainer. However, upon my return, I was condescendingly greeted by Mr. Front Desk Clerk with "You'll be pleased to know the soccer team went to dinner, so you should have some quiet for now."
For now? What about at 10pm when they get back? (And by the way, they had not all gone to dinner. Still noisy, still in the hall, some were still in the lobby--which he could plainly see.)
So at that point, what the heck, I'll break my no complaining rule. I explained that the proper response to a guest informing him that there were other guests noisily destroying one of his rooms would be something like "I'm terribly sorry. Thank you for bringing it to my attention."--not "What do you expect, I just checked in a soccer team." He then stared at me, forced a fake "And your point is?" smile, and said nothing. Just smiled. Creepily. Like a "Move along, won't you?" smile. Then he said nothing more. Still no apology. Still no "Thank you."
I'm a business traveler, so I've seen some rude desk clerks in my day--but never at a Marriott.
And still a lot of noise--constant noise-- from 10pm until 12:16am. Then occasional noise from 1am until 6am, when I had to get up.
Upon checking out, I was relieved to find a different person running the front desk--Sebrena. Totally professional. Totally smooth.
Then she asked me "How was your stay?" and like I said, I'm not a complainer, so I said "Fine," and headed towards the door. But, then, I thought (again), what the heck, I'll tell the truth, so I told her the whole story above.
"I'm so sorry to hear that," Sebrena said. "I apologize for the inconvenience," she said. "I'll let my Manager know." And then she gave me his card, so I could tell him too.
Perfect. Perfect customer service.
I called the Manager, but still have not heard back yet. (But in the Manager's defense, it's only been one day.)

Room Tip: Walls are very thin. Ask to have no neighbors.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a night. Was extremely clean friendly staff. It was more geared towards a business atmosphere. The walls were paper thin though in this hotel I heard every conversation going on around the room!

Room Tip: AWAY FROM STAIRS AND ELEVATORS, walls are paper thin and high traffic areas are a bad idea!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly S
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My number one choice for business and pleasure trips.
You just cannot go wrong with Springhill

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This is a typical 3 story hotel just off the interstate and near the main intersection of the mall and fast-food near Saginaw. Staff is helpful and friendly. Property is themed nautical and the decor just doesn't amount to anything but odd. Doors in the rooms for the toilet are glass tinted and not very private, an innovation backwards. Shower stall is large and nice and separate from the toilet area. Good for a night or two stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Supermagictasticguy
Michigan
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stay at this hotel often and it's perfect for business travel. Rooms are spacious and well-decorated - I love the funky contemporary style - and it's relatively new so it's clean and updated. Not much to choose from at the lobby "mart" but the rooms have microwaves and fridges.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
London, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had a family reunion close by and we stayed here...A+ for staff and the fire pit outside...we will all stay there again for any time we are in the area

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This was our 3rd 1-night stay at this hotel in the past year. We come into town to visit family in Bay City but typically stay here. This was the first time we stayed here with our 7-week old baby.

The hotel is lovely-built in in 2009 and very modern. The staff is always friendly and allowed us to check-in a few hours early this 4th of July weekend. We have never used the pool or workout area, though both appear lovely. The breakfast is always good with sausage and eggs and oatmeal along with the typical waffles, bread and blah-zah danishes.

The bathroom is interesting with the toilet and small sink in one room and the shower and a larger sink in another room. It would be fantastic if traveling with a larger party, but does make for a slight inconvenience if you want to leave a bathroom light on for a night-light.

There has always been some noise from the hallway but it has never really kept us up. There are several other very nice hotels in this immediate area(Comfort Suites and Farfield Inn)-all of which we've stayed. We would go back to any of them.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family