“Always the best”

Ranked #1 of 4 Saginaw B&B and Inns
Sanford, Michigan
“Always the best”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

For 7 years, this has been my "get away" place to go. It has such a relaxing and peaceful atmosphere I never fail to come away refreshed. The staff are truly the most personable and helpful I have ever found, and the ambiance of the inn is an equal mix between history and romance. If you need a mini mental health vacation or a special couple's night, I would highly recommend the Montague and can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelley M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Saint Clair, Michigan
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Our wedding, which was planned for the 25th in Kalamazoo at Henderson Castle was utterly ruined when the night before, they booked a political fundraiser to take place in the same place and during the same time as our wedding. After being told to work around it, we needed a new plan.

I called the kind folks at the Montague Inn after 10 p.m. on the night of the 24th and explained the situation and they quickly made a workable plan for the following day. As we drove almost three hours from Kalamazoo to Saginaw, I was on the phone with them and when we arrived, we quickly covered what we needed for us and our guests. From the moment we walked in the door to when we left on the morning of the 26th, the staff was extremely kind, caring, and overly helpful. They helped us bring in food catered by Jake's which is just around the corner and is quite delicious. They also made sure that every one of our guests was comfortable and had everything they needed. Even odd requests, including having to use their usb drives and even their computer and printer, they quickly came to the rescue. Special drinks for an honorary toast at dinner they made sure was available. Anything and everything was taken care of and they couldn't have been nicer in helping us make our wedding happen and to help us minimize the stress. They made phone calls for us so that we could focus on what we needed to do and made themselves our secretaries for the day. They truly did everything to be productive and helpful while staying out of the way so we could do all that we needed to prepare for the wedding.

Honestly, with the quickness and cooperation they gave us, I felt like I was making wishes with genies; they were awesome! The rooms were all comfortable enough, if maybe a little warm, but otherwise it was an absolutely beautiful time with our family and friends. Some of the rooms have great bathrooms where one can easily relax with multiple shower heads and sprayers built into the shower wall. We all had the comfort of home among loved ones with the elegance of a historic manor. All of our guests were equally pleased with the accommodations and high level of service. Even our kids enjoyed it so much they didn't want to come home. Some of our guests said they felt like royalty by how they were treated and we all appreciate everything they did at the Montague Inn to help us make our wedding happen beautifully and on time. Honestly, if we hadn't told anyone what happened the night before, our wedding at the Montague Inn was so nice that you would've thought we planned it all along.

If you're looking at the Montague Inn for a wedding or romantic getaway, you'll certainly have it here. Here's a little extra info about some locals who also helped us immensely...

- Jake's - This steakhouse offers huge portions and huge flavor. They catered our dinner without virtually any notice and did it with a smile. The fellows at Jake's were equally helpful and caring; they gave us an awesome and filling dinner for a fraction of what you'd expect.
- The Anna Luis spa took a last minute appointment so my wife and mother-in-law could have their hair styled beautifully. They also helped us hire a top-notch photographer in the 11th hour.

We will definitely be back! Thank you so much!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Dust, cobwebs, dirty fingerprints on the woodwork, and smelly torn/dirty furniture was offensive to me. Come on all it would take is a good weekly cleaning. The glass doors on the fireplace needs to be cleaned. No internet or TV service was a let down also. Fall in Michigan is cold the heat needs to be on. Guest should not have to wear a coat while in the room. The mattress and pillows needs to be replace too. It should not feel like you are sleeping on the original 1800's mattress.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank joe c

Travelers are raving about these Saginaw hotels

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our two infant girls while we were traveling through Michigan. Although the accomodations were lovely, we were very dissatisfied with the breakfast; If you're going to try to market yourself as a Bed and Breakfast (and charge B&B price) you need to follow through; don't throw some boxed cereal on the table with a banana and claim it's a meal. Most unsatisfactory was the service. After checking out, I received a call from an employee there, claiming I wasn't charged for my room! I assured her I was. It had been a rather lengthy check out, and I had checked my card to make sure I wasn't double charged after the person checking me out swiped it several times, trying to figure out why her machine wasn't working. The person calling said that someone that stayed the same night as we had said her card was charged twice (not surprising if her check out was like mine...) and that must meant I wasn't charged at all. I laughed to myself as she continued to say, "I saw her receipt. And she was charged twice," as if she had just solved the case and I was caught red-handed trying to run out on my bill or something. I pulled up my bank statement and let her know that I was looking at it right now and, low and behold, there was the charge. The caller was flustered and kept saying, "Well, I saw the other woman's bill and it was definitely charged twice." I asked what that had to do with my bill? She couldn't figure out that there was no connection and finally blurted out, "I don't know. The owners told me to call and get your card number to charge the room again." I told her I would be happy to fax her my bill, which I did immediately. Without any apology, she said she'd call me back "if we have any more questions or need anything else from you." Needless to say, I kept an eye on my bank statements and never heard anything back from them. VERY unprofessional!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Jama S
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The room was cozy, and the grounds were lovely - but the customer service was horrible. They continued to ignore my boyfriend and I and begging forgiveness because they were preparing for an event later that day- If they can't handle events without giving terrible service to their current guests, they shouldn't offer it then. I work in customer service and was embarrassed for them. the breakfast was also a joke; stale bagels were provided on a plastic plate covered in cling-wrap that they didn't even bother to remove for us - we had to unwrap our breakfast like stealing scraps from a cafeteria.

Room Tip: A room at a Super 8 motel will be larger, cleaner, less expensive room, offer a better breakfast, an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kat n
Michigan Center, Michigan
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed there a couple of weeks ago and the experience was horrible! The main building looks pretty but they gave us a room in their former garage/barn turned into guest rooms. the carpet was dirty and the room was dark! The breakfast was a joke! Luke warm coffee, some boxes of cereal laying around, no mugs instead they had disposable foam cups! they should be ashamed!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Helen5625
Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband, brother, and I stopped here on a road trip and we were glad we did. The staff was courteous, and the inn and grounds were very pleasant-- decorated in the typical style of an "old mansion" B&B. We were happy to find ourselves in a peaceful environment after a long day's drive. The rooms we stayed in were the lowest rate, and not spacious, but worth the value for travelers looking for a quiet night's sleep. I think we had a nicer experience than we would have had for the same cost at other hotel chains nearby.

Breakfast was continental (Fresh muffins/breads, watermelon, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, coffee, tea, juice) but again, it was better than the continental breakfast available at most hotel chains. It may be hit or miss for a romantic getaway weekend (we did not see much to do in that particularly run-down part of Saginaw), but I would definitely recommend the place to people traveling through.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rust Room and we liked it. Beautiful light in the morning!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ducky T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saginaw
Ramada Saginaw Hotel & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saginaw
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Saginaw
Hampton Inn & Suites Saginaw
Four Points by Sheraton Saginaw

Been to Montague Inn? Share your experiences!