“Won't Be Back!”
Review of Montague Inn

Montague Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Saginaw B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our two infant girls while we were traveling through Michigan. Although the accomodations were lovely, we were very dissatisfied with the breakfast; If you're going to try to market yourself as a Bed and Breakfast (and charge B&B price) you need to follow through; don't throw some boxed cereal on the table with a banana and claim it's a meal. Most unsatisfactory was the service. After checking out, I received a call from an employee there, claiming I wasn't charged for my room! I assured her I was. It had been a rather lengthy check out, and I had checked my card to make sure I wasn't double charged after the person checking me out swiped it several times, trying to figure out why her machine wasn't working. The person calling said that someone that stayed the same night as we had said her card was charged twice (not surprising if her check out was like mine...) and that must meant I wasn't charged at all. I laughed to myself as she continued to say, "I saw her receipt. And she was charged twice," as if she had just solved the case and I was caught red-handed trying to run out on my bill or something. I pulled up my bank statement and let her know that I was looking at it right now and, low and behold, there was the charge. The caller was flustered and kept saying, "Well, I saw the other woman's bill and it was definitely charged twice." I asked what that had to do with my bill? She couldn't figure out that there was no connection and finally blurted out, "I don't know. The owners told me to call and get your card number to charge the room again." I told her I would be happy to fax her my bill, which I did immediately. Without any apology, she said she'd call me back "if we have any more questions or need anything else from you." Needless to say, I kept an eye on my bank statements and never heard anything back from them. VERY unprofessional!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Jama S

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The room was cozy, and the grounds were lovely - but the customer service was horrible. They continued to ignore my boyfriend and I and begging forgiveness because they were preparing for an event later that day- If they can't handle events without giving terrible service to their current guests, they shouldn't offer it then. I work in customer service and was embarrassed for them. the breakfast was also a joke; stale bagels were provided on a plastic plate covered in cling-wrap that they didn't even bother to remove for us - we had to unwrap our breakfast like stealing scraps from a cafeteria.

Room Tip: A room at a Super 8 motel will be larger, cleaner, less expensive room, offer a better breakfast, an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kat n
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed there a couple of weeks ago and the experience was horrible! The main building looks pretty but they gave us a room in their former garage/barn turned into guest rooms. the carpet was dirty and the room was dark! The breakfast was a joke! Luke warm coffee, some boxes of cereal laying around, no mugs instead they had disposable foam cups! they should be ashamed!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Helen5625
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband, brother, and I stopped here on a road trip and we were glad we did. The staff was courteous, and the inn and grounds were very pleasant-- decorated in the typical style of an "old mansion" B&B. We were happy to find ourselves in a peaceful environment after a long day's drive. The rooms we stayed in were the lowest rate, and not spacious, but worth the value for travelers looking for a quiet night's sleep. I think we had a nicer experience than we would have had for the same cost at other hotel chains nearby.

Breakfast was continental (Fresh muffins/breads, watermelon, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, coffee, tea, juice) but again, it was better than the continental breakfast available at most hotel chains. It may be hit or miss for a romantic getaway weekend (we did not see much to do in that particularly run-down part of Saginaw), but I would definitely recommend the place to people traveling through.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rust Room and we liked it. Beautiful light in the morning!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ducky T
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband had booked a room at the Montague Inn for my 56th birthday. We had the "Acker Suite", It was so beautiful and peaceful! I highly recommend this room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The Inn was clean and very smartly decorated. The grounds were very pretty and peaceful. We enjoyed the jet tub, and the quite (even thou the inn was full ), I only wish we could of seen the rooms upstairs and the upstairs, but I understand they were full already. We are planning going back in the Winter. I wish we could of stayed for a couple of days. We willl next time! This was my best birthday ever!!!! I give it a five star experince!!!

Room Tip: The "Acker Suite " was quieter then the upper floors, cause at breakfast we could here the...
1  Thank Hailey916
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I were recently married and had little time for a "honeymoon" of the traditional sense. We had a free weekend pop up but with little time to plan ahead, we found that most places in upper Michigan were booked up. That's when we came across the Montague Inn in Saginaw. We knew very little of the area, and I had read other reviews of the place telling me we were rolling the dice. We were pleasantly surprised, though. We stayed in the montague suite which was wonderful! We really felt like we were living in royalty. The beds are hard...very hard, but we slept fine. And the staff was quite nice and accommodating. Other guests that we shared breakfast with seemed satisfied as well. We used Saginaw as our "home base" and took several day trips to Bay City and Birch Run. We relaxed and really had a great time. The city of Saginaw, however, is quite depressed. There were very few decent restaurants or places of entertainment. Don't plan to stay there in the city, but Montague inn is a welcome change from a typical hotel and really reasonably priced. They've done a beautiful job of keeping it up, from our perspective.

2  Thank Susan F
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I were driving through Saginaw on the way to northern Michigan, so we weren't coming to stay for a weekend or a romantic night. We were there to have a place to stay. We were in the midst of a 12 day driving trip, so I tried to book us at some interesting inns to add to our experience. The Montague Inn was like a step back in time. The innkeeper was very helpful when we arrived; he was nice and helped us into our room (no elevator, so pack lightly). The house is lovely. I had booked the room so knew we had the suite, but it was even more spacious than expected - way more space than we would ever need for a quick night at a hotel. For a romantic weekend, it would be very accommodating. It had a musty old person smell - that was more in the room than it was in the whole house. And it was hot (we were there in the midst of a heat wave, so it wasn't the inn's fault). They did have a fan, but I never really cooled down. And the bed was quite uncomfortable - I could feel every spring pushing into my body. The bathroom area is very old; I wasn't able to get much water to come out of the shower and there wasn't a hair dryer (although I'm sure if I had asked, they would have had one).

It just was odd - and too old for us thirtysomethings. But again - since we were just passing through, it was hard for us to appreciate the room. I had read that the breakfasts were lovely, but it was very very limited - a few breads and cereals and they eventually brought out some watermelon. It seems that the innkeeper that morning was maybe shortstaffed as she seemed rushed and a little frustrated. She was kind to give us a discount when we checked out as she indicated that most everyone had some sort of discount.

I really hate writing negative things on this website unless they are constructive criticism. So I am sorry for writing these things. It wasn't terrible; but I would definitely stay somewhere else if we found ourselves in Saginaw again.

1  Thank dew0705
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saginaw
Four Points by Sheraton Saginaw
#8 of 23 in Saginaw
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth

Been to Montague Inn? Share your experiences!