“Horrible!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Saginaw B&B and Inns
Michigan Center, Michigan
“Horrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed there a couple of weeks ago and the experience was horrible! The main building looks pretty but they gave us a room in their former garage/barn turned into guest rooms. the carpet was dirty and the room was dark! The breakfast was a joke! Luke warm coffee, some boxes of cereal laying around, no mugs instead they had disposable foam cups! they should be ashamed!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Helen5625

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Houghton, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband, brother, and I stopped here on a road trip and we were glad we did. The staff was courteous, and the inn and grounds were very pleasant-- decorated in the typical style of an "old mansion" B&B. We were happy to find ourselves in a peaceful environment after a long day's drive. The rooms we stayed in were the lowest rate, and not spacious, but worth the value for travelers looking for a quiet night's sleep. I think we had a nicer experience than we would have had for the same cost at other hotel chains nearby.

Breakfast was continental (Fresh muffins/breads, watermelon, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, coffee, tea, juice) but again, it was better than the continental breakfast available at most hotel chains. It may be hit or miss for a romantic getaway weekend (we did not see much to do in that particularly run-down part of Saginaw), but I would definitely recommend the place to people traveling through.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rust Room and we liked it. Beautiful light in the morning!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ducky T
Monroe, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband had booked a room at the Montague Inn for my 56th birthday. We had the "Acker Suite", It was so beautiful and peaceful! I highly recommend this room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The Inn was clean and very smartly decorated. The grounds were very pretty and peaceful. We enjoyed the jet tub, and the quite (even thou the inn was full ), I only wish we could of seen the rooms upstairs and the upstairs, but I understand they were full already. We are planning going back in the Winter. I wish we could of stayed for a couple of days. We willl next time! This was my best birthday ever!!!! I give it a five star experince!!!

Room Tip: The "Acker Suite " was quieter then the upper floors, cause at breakfast we could here the...
1 Thank Hailey916
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I were recently married and had little time for a "honeymoon" of the traditional sense. We had a free weekend pop up but with little time to plan ahead, we found that most places in upper Michigan were booked up. That's when we came across the Montague Inn in Saginaw. We knew very little of the area, and I had read other reviews of the place telling me we were rolling the dice. We were pleasantly surprised, though. We stayed in the montague suite which was wonderful! We really felt like we were living in royalty. The beds are hard...very hard, but we slept fine. And the staff was quite nice and accommodating. Other guests that we shared breakfast with seemed satisfied as well. We used Saginaw as our "home base" and took several day trips to Bay City and Birch Run. We relaxed and really had a great time. The city of Saginaw, however, is quite depressed. There were very few decent restaurants or places of entertainment. Don't plan to stay there in the city, but Montague inn is a welcome change from a typical hotel and really reasonably priced. They've done a beautiful job of keeping it up, from our perspective.

2 Thank Susan F
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I were driving through Saginaw on the way to northern Michigan, so we weren't coming to stay for a weekend or a romantic night. We were there to have a place to stay. We were in the midst of a 12 day driving trip, so I tried to book us at some interesting inns to add to our experience. The Montague Inn was like a step back in time. The innkeeper was very helpful when we arrived; he was nice and helped us into our room (no elevator, so pack lightly). The house is lovely. I had booked the room so knew we had the suite, but it was even more spacious than expected - way more space than we would ever need for a quick night at a hotel. For a romantic weekend, it would be very accommodating. It had a musty old person smell - that was more in the room than it was in the whole house. And it was hot (we were there in the midst of a heat wave, so it wasn't the inn's fault). They did have a fan, but I never really cooled down. And the bed was quite uncomfortable - I could feel every spring pushing into my body. The bathroom area is very old; I wasn't able to get much water to come out of the shower and there wasn't a hair dryer (although I'm sure if I had asked, they would have had one).

It just was odd - and too old for us thirtysomethings. But again - since we were just passing through, it was hard for us to appreciate the room. I had read that the breakfasts were lovely, but it was very very limited - a few breads and cereals and they eventually brought out some watermelon. It seems that the innkeeper that morning was maybe shortstaffed as she seemed rushed and a little frustrated. She was kind to give us a discount when we checked out as she indicated that most everyone had some sort of discount.

I really hate writing negative things on this website unless they are constructive criticism. So I am sorry for writing these things. It wasn't terrible; but I would definitely stay somewhere else if we found ourselves in Saginaw again.

1 Thank dew0705
Ballymena, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed in the Montague Inn for 2 nights. What a disappointment this turned out to be! We were the only two people staying at the time (which perhaps says it all) so there was no excuse for the service we received. The house is indeed beautiful as others have mentioned, with each room decorated very tastefully, but the decor is tired in places and on closer inspection, could do with some attention. We, like others were greeted by James and had an opportunity to see around the house - an unofficial tour, so can attest to the state of the rooms - we stayed in "Mary Sage," right at the top of the staircase. The property is advertised as a Bed and Breakfast establishment, which, I suppose it is, but what a breakfast! Like others have commented, it was a DIY effort - no one on hand to greet you, no table set, coffee flask set out, no hot water or breakfast tea, only herbal or flavoured teas. We had to ask for bread, milk and hot water for tea. The second morning we had hoped they might have learned from the previous morning, and yes, the hot water was sitting out, and had been for some time - it was barely luke-warm when we came down - do Americans not know that tea is made with boiling water, not hot water? We have stayed in many B&Bs in UK and Ireland and have never experienced service or a breakfast like this - and frankly do not want to experience it again. On our return from a long day out on our second day, we came back to the Inn exhausted only to find that the bed had not even been made up. If this is American hospitality, I will stay in hotels in future. I would certainly NOT recommend this place for accommodation and can't understand how others have such low expectations. I recommend that you don't go there unless you wish to be disappointed too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jetlagged54

Travelers are raving about these Saginaw hotels

Three Oaks, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

We booked a room at the Montague for our 5th wedding anniversary weekend. The price was a bit much, but being a bed and breakfast, we expected nothing short of red-carpet treatment. The front desk staff was very pleasant, but only dressed in shorts and t-shirts. Our room was on the third floor in the main building. It was very spacious, with a comfortable bed and period accents and furniture. We had a gas fireplace, which was very convenient for the cooler evenings in early May. The bed seemed very clean and well dressed, but the rest of the room needed work. For example, I don't think the walls or ceiling in the bathroom have been cleaned since the Inn opened in 1989. There was all sorts of spots and drips on the walls, probably from years of hairspray and who knows what else. The floors didn't look like they had been swept in a while. The rug under the bed was all crooked and folded over against the wall. Considering the price, I had expected the rooms to be spotless. Breakfast the following morning was serve-yourself, from a choice of mini boxed cereals, mini cans of juice, mini yogurts, fresh fruit, and cold (refrigerated) bagels and pastries. There wasn't even any milk set out for the cereals. There were no dishes or utensils in an obvious location, other than the ones on the china cabinet, therefore that was what we used. After spending two nights, upon checking out, we were given no receipt, no confirmation, nothing more than a "Thanks, and Have a Good Day". When I asked about a receipt, the woman at the desk said she couldn't give me one. I only hoped the charge to my card would be correct. The amount she quoted me sounded about right, but considering she gave us a 10% discount for our troubles, the final price still seemed to high.

Room Tip: Robert's room is very beautiful, if you can look past the stains on the walls.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank msuHerbie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saginaw
Ramada Saginaw Hotel & Suites
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Hampton Inn & Suites Saginaw
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Saginaw

Been to Montague Inn? Share your experiences!