“So disappointing!”

Elm Farm Country House
“So disappointing!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

First of all there was no heating when we arrived.When we received our main meals they had given me the wrong meal. Which never got rectified because no-one came to ask how our meal was. My husbands meal was overcooked, and the beef was really chewy. They offered us free desserts to say sorry. When it arrived it had been microwaved within an inch of it's life. We went back to our room and was then woken up just before 5am by radio1xtra blaring out. This went on until at least 6.30am. I knocked on the door three times. No answer. I went to phone reception but there was not a number to contact them on! We went for breakfast to find even more disappointment. There was 1 sausage left and a handful of other bits. Just about enough for one person. The staff were nowhere to be seen and I didn't even get a cup of tea!

The manager phoned me today and basically told me that none of this could possibly be true! I am absolutely appalled by the experience we have had.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sarah H
Elm Farm N, Owner at Elm Farm Country House, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hello Sarah,
Thank you for your review, we use these to continually improve our services to other customers like you. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and that the explanation over the telephone when you called and spoke to myself wasn't satisfactory for you, I have spoken to the staff in great length that were on shift during the time of your stay and I do appreciate that their responses to your points are going to be somewhat biased but as I can only take your word on events I must also consider theirs. I agree that when you first arrived there wasn't any heating. As im sure you are aware that day and infactt also the evening before we had experienced some severe storms and this had knocked out our heating and indeed we had no power at all the night before your arrival, factors im sure you understand are beyond our control, heating and power in the main building were unaffected which is where you were, so it was only your bedroom which was affected, after a few hours this was restored long before you retired to your room. I spoke to the waitress and the chef regarding your meal and yes there was some confusion regarding your meal, you did mention to the waitress that you didn't realise that there were two types of chicken dish on the menu, the waitress said that she misunderstood which one you were referring to, and that when you brought it to her attention you said that you were happy with what you had anyway. Your husband had ordered the shin of beef, at the time no mention was made that the dish was tough, the waitresss said that you had complained that it had fat in the meat, im sorry for this but the nature of beef shin is that it does have a large vein of fat running through the joint, we slow cook the whole joint so that the meat falls away and is tender, leaving this vein in enhances the flavour, much the same as leaving the rind on a steak. Despite this the waitress did offer you free desserts which at the time you happily accepted. I have looked into the noise from the room beside you and as I said on the telephone there weren't any guests staying either side of you, which you didn't accept, but again all I can say is that we didn't have any guests staying in any adjacent room to you, but it could have been an alarm clock set by the previous guest, we don't offer 24hr reception at Elm Farm however we don have a telephone for guests adjacent to the entrance which has direct dial to an out of hours service, plus call buttons for reception, office and emergency numbers all of which would have answered if you had called them. The telephone is also located in an illuminated box which is plainly on view from any of the rooms. Breakfast in the morning is served between 8 and 9 am you arrived at 8:50 and it was myself serving you, I agree that breakfast wasn't fully stocked as you were the last guests to arrive, however, at 9:10am when I took the breakfast off, there was certainly enough for myself and the kitchen staff to have full breakfasts from the leftovers. Once again I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us but I feel that the staff did all they could to ensure your stay was as enjoyable as possible, but I do accept that due to the weather and power cuts we suffered may have hampered you somewhat, I hope you understand that in light of some areas of the country suffering severe floods and storms, having only a few hours without heating in your bedroom is a small price to pay. once again thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Had a Great stay here the pub food was Fab - the location has easy access to everywhere adn the Staff are Superb - Highly recommended :) The cherry cheescake is just Suberb!
Would highly recommend to families and couples for a country stay but would like to visto Cromer or sorrounding areas!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Clean rooms. The pub grub was great. We would go again for the fab cherry cheese cake. Perfect hearty breakfast. Great friendly service. local drink here too. We would come again because it was great value for money.

Room Tip: Family room number8
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

After seeing some previous reviews was unsure about our forthcoming stay. However, glad we went ahead. Stayed in room 8, family room, found to be very clean. Very friendly staff, food very good, no complaints. Would recommend and would visit again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Had a most enjoyable time good food, friendly staff, accommodation clean, warm, comfortable
Hoping to stay again.Elm Farm is situated in a most peaceful location although just a few miles from Norwich Airport we were not disturbed at all. We would like to go back in the summer months so we can enjoy a time in the garden area.

Room Tip: Management most accommodating
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terry H
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Absolutely terrible – We had a horrible three night stay here. The bed was so uncomfortable, the room didn't have a chair or a bin in there.The whole place from the bedroom to the pub & eating area just looked so unhygienic. The food was not fit to give to a animal, it was that bad. As you can see we would not recommend staying there.

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank BeallHonest
Hello "Bealhonest",
Thank you for your comments, all of which we take seriously and will use to ensure future guests have a more pleasant experience at Elm farm. Firstly I would like to say that im sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and also that you didn't raise any of these points during your stay with us, also you stayed at Elm Farm in August 4 months before your review. I have looked into your comments and your stay with us, I notice that you have given Elm farm just a single star for value, You booked with us through a groupon deal where you were offered 3 nights stay full board, bed, breakfast and 2 course evening meal every night for less that £150 in a double room that's over £100 reduction on our standard rate, Im sorry that you didn't find our location satisfactory, we are located in a rural village located 5 miles from Norwich City centre as depicted on all our advertising platforms, can I suggest that if this isn't the location for you, perhaps you should look to book a more suitable one in the future. All our meals are freshly prepared and cooked in our kitchens, by our 3 full time chefs, catering for both restaurant and wedding guests we cook over 500 meals per week. Elm farm was built in 1604 and retains many of its original features, with solid oak floors and beams, the accommodation is situated in converted stables which also retain many of the original features, im sorry if this creates the impression to you that its unhygienic, but I can assure you, its nothing further from the truth, we have 20 staff that work round the clock to ensure that all our guests regardless of the reason for their stay, have a pleasant, enjoyable and relaxing time with us.
Athens, Greece
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Elm Farm is in a beautiful, peaceful location and the people working there have created a cosy, warm, welcoming atmosphere. The food and drinks were more than satisfying.
I would definitely suggest the country house to any Petans candidate, since it's located at only half a mile from the training center, but do be careful to check the box while making your reservation (this way you get a 10GBP worth dinner each night for free).
My only complaint is that the rooms are not soundproof, the mattresses provide medium comfort and WiFi only works in the main building.
Bottom line: High scores for location and people!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel
The Black Swan Inn
The Black Swan Inn
#2 of 2 in Horsham St Faith

Been to Elm Farm Country House? Share your experiences!