“Enjoyed lunch here”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Chips and salsa were delicious and burrito was too. Lunch menu was available in addition to dinner menu. Even the lunch portions came with beans and rice and there was no skimping on the cheese.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

First let me say I am from Texas, which makes me biased on Mexican food. The food was okay. My husband and I split the chicken burritos (which were actually like sour cream chicken enchiladas). They came with rice and beans (also okay) for about $10. We ordered drinks...a flight of margaritas (3-6 oz margaritas: pineapple, iguana, and strawberry for around $10). The strawberry margaritas are excellent - forget the flight and just order the strawberry margarita. I also ordered a local beer. Our waitress was unable to tell us anything about any of the beers, which is a real bummer considering they were local beers. All waitstaff should be better versed on the menus (including prices) if it is not available on the menu (or be able to direct the question to someone who knows). All-in-all, the lackluster service and okay meal only warrants about a 3. If you don't get Mexican food all the time, this may be an okay meal for you. If you do, try another restaurant where you may get better and more knowledgeable service.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This second visit to Monterrey Cantina was less than fulfilling. While there were plenty of vegetarian options, the food was unseasoned. One of the five diners did not even eat the entree it was so bland. One liked his entree. The rest of us thought the food was mediocre. It tasted better when taken home, seasoned and reheated. Perhaps it was not the normal chef.

1  Thank Ray-n-Sol
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had dinner with a large group at this restaurant. I don't think anyone thought their meal was good. I had fish tacos. They were not anywhere near authentic nor did they taste good. The two stars is for the margaritas.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I moved here from California so I am pretty picky about Mexican food. I found it passable, but barely . There were peas and carrots in the rice!! The taste was nice, though not authentic.

The reason my review is so high is because the atmosphere is awesome! It's fun, well-decorated, vibrant, lively. I LOVED the drinks; we got a margarita special that came with three sampler flavors of margarita. Love it!

Our server was just okay, she didn't put much effort into it, but she was passable (like the food.) Timing was great, though, as were the overflowing free bowls of chips and salsa.

We'll probably go again just for the fun atmosphere. If we can find something we really like on the menu, this could be one of our regular places.